1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Less Wrong - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by headbanger22, Mar 9, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Meh...I actually like Petunia and her husband in this fic. The question remains however how endearing this story will be once they're in Hogwarts and Harry...is doing something.

I'll withhold judgment until we have a few Hogwarts chapters. I'm still not quite sure how one is to review a story prior to Harry's immersion into the magic world.

2. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Call it the Geek in me, but I loved it. I rather hope the author manages to keep it going at this level, because I'm going to be sorely disappointed if it peters off in a chapter or two.
    4.5/5

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    5/5, if just for the Madam Malkins scene.

My god, that make me crack up harder than I have in ages.

4. Rumbleroar

Rumbleroar Seventh Year

Going to get a 4/5 from me.

While i was barrel rolling at the Malkin-scene with everyone, I have a big problem the amount of intuitive intellect that Harry is being given. I forsee, like Smileofthekill, that Harry's expansive knowledge (which is already formidable enough to put shame to most any adult wizard of even great intellect such as McGonagall, who was clearly stumped by half the shit he said) will override the story. It's a bit asinine, but it's making for rather hilarious scenes in-between the rage.

All in all? Very very well articulated story, spot on math and deductive reasoning skills, and a very damn good read if you can get past the nit-pick. I'll be following this one.

5. Goose

Goose First Year DLP Supporter

This Harry reminds me a tiny bit of Sheldon (from TBBT).

As enjoyable as this story is, I question whether the author has enough talent/imagination to evolve Harry into more than just another arrogant smart-ass genius. Hmmm... maybe s/he'll also give her character a realistic amount of time to perfect an obscure magical something-or-other. Hopefully the cliche of Harry instantly knowing something is one that the author chooses not to include.

Good: Grammar, spelling, chapter length, update frequency.

3.5/5

EDIT: Yeh, you're right... it was a dumb line :eek:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  6. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Quite possibly one of the dumber lines I've ever seen. Anyway... I laughed at some points in the story. 3.5/5 rounded to 4.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... Why would anyone do that? You can like certain AU-types and others not. I usually don't like Genius!Harry, and this is no exception. He's too smart = fail. Not that this was even what the quote was about, go read what SOTK wrote again.

It would have my Daphne-bonus, sure, but I doubt I'd read anything more of it than a Oneshot. Which would mean I'd have to be bored, since I only read Oneshots when I'm bored.

Yeah ... well. The story. This kind of story works if you can laugh at the humour and don't take it too seriously. I can't do the former, and won't do the latter, so what's left is a Harry I don't care for (seriously, he's a caricature), and too much silly nonsense. Granted, I knew that beforehand since I never like humour based- and/or unrealistic stories (where that is the supposed source of humour), so no rating; I only read it to be able to talk about it, since I felt like making a point :|

8. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I loved the Malkin scene, and the other chapters were also pretty good.

No rating yet because it's early, but if the Malkin chapter were a one-shot it'd be worth 5 stars.

9. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

This

I would love to see that chapter cleaned up and made into a one-shot.

10. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

It is a pretty good fic.
    This was by far the best ever Draco-Harry first meeting I have seen.

11. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't really find it that funny. Harry was too smart, and using too many technical terms. He shouldn't be that socially retarded.

12. h2o

h2o Professor

QFT. I like a smart Harry... but this is just over the top. As for the Draco/Harry meeting.. mjeh. Only the last part of it was actually funny.

2/5 from me but it could improve and be Recycling Bin worthy if Harry is toned down a bit.

13. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

The fifth chapter made it worth it. :awesome

14. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

No, no it didn't.

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    People really do seem to be taking this too seriously. The whole story is untenable from the start, however, it does do what it goes out to do, and it does it with style.

It made me laugh more than fanfiction HPFF has since Nonjon, and frankly, I think that deserves some praise.

Stop taking shit so fucking seriously. :/

Edit: I don't know if i've mentioned this recently Bucks, but I really wish you were the girl in your avatar. Just wanted to put that out there again.

16. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I don't take it that seriously. I am fine with having super smart Harry.

What I can't stand is how obnoxious Harry is. I hate people like that in real life, and reading about him is not fun. I am fine with him making fun of some of the logic in the Wizard world. I am not fine with him making fun of it then going on about how it can be fixed and talking like the story itself is serious.

Screw it, I'll just rank it on how I feel like this story will be and what I have read so far. 0/5. No laughing means zero rating. Oh yes, +1.9 for the Draco thing, but rounded down.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jesus Christ I've never laughed that much in MONTHS! The first four chapters were moderately amusing, but the sheer hilarity of the fifth chapter is just stunning. I think I'm going to have to give it a 5/5 solely for that chapter. No doubt about it.

18. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

This is the funniest story i have read in a very long time, from me it gets five out of five.

19. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Its sort of interesting to see how polarized this forum is with regards to this one.

20. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

This. So much this. Hell, this Harry is a lot like me IRL, which may be why I relate to him so easily. And that is why I've added it to by favorites list. 4.5/5, easily; one of the funniest stories I've read since nonjon. Oh yes; the lulz is strong in this fic.

Fuck no. That's the whole point of this, what makes it awesome.

Not open for further replies.