1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fan Fiction Recommendations: Barely Readable to Almost Average Part Two

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Sep 19, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Portus

Portus Heir

I hope it promises something different from the slash in EVERY OTHER STORY the author has posted, pairing Harry with everyone from Ron, Neville, and Ernie McMillan to Teddy Lupin, Viktor Krum, Sanguini the vampire and Piers Polkiss (yes, *that* one). Oh, and there's also Harry/James (as in, his dad); Harry/Octavian, the Pureblood Prince; and Harry/"beautiful, mute swan", AKA the Original Male Veela.

I'm going to read the two posted chapters in spite of all that glaring evidence, so wish me luck. It's over 18k words already, and the author does appear to finish what he (probably she) starts.

2. fanficlover

fanficlover Fourth Year

I know- every other thing the author's written deals with slash- this is an exception.

At this stage, it won't make it to the library, but it certainly does have the potential to be in it.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Unless she has a retractable dong.

4. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Probably not often, and it's just the king with the official power, it's probably someone else that actually does the job:)
    If it was used a lot the king would probably be stripped of the power, it's just that no-one does this so it have slipped through the liberals net.

5. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

If cousincest is a grey area, is it ok to molest the cousin's car?

6. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Choose your snarky response:
    ...only after the exhaust pipe cools.
    ...only in Confederate states.
    ...depends on which one is more attractive.
    ...in Whitesnake videos? Sure!
    ...difficult with a Saab- they structure everything into a different position.

7. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

:confused:

Err... do you want to ride on the pistons?

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Considering she is female, she could give the phrase 'driving stick' a whole new meaning.

9. Dark Minion

I am sure there are several redtube videos illustrating this quote...

10. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'm liking this one. Storyline hasn't progressed far enough to gauge if its library worthy just yet but a possible contender in my opinion. Bits of Harry/Fleur stirring around in there too.

Updates have been quite regular so far, a new chapter every 3-5 days but the latest chapter has a note saying there might be slight delays in future.

11. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Nice potential, good writing technique. Narration and pacing exceeded expectations, and the society is well portrayed. The downside is that Romilda is relatively three-dimensional while everyone else isn't. If you're looking for something with a decent plot or a fic that makes significant changes to canon, don't bother. I personally found it a fairly decent time-waster though, despite Harry's characterisation.

ETA: Here's a Little something I stumbled on a while back, A Lethal Smile by The Jade Knight.
    Summary: My name is Harry, and I started life alone in a cupboard. Then I made a wonderful discovery; all of life is a joke! This is my tale of a twisted Hogwarts filled with Riddles and Scarecrows. Dark Knight xover. Dark!Harry
    Definitely requires a large suspense of disbelief, but the concept is interesting IMO.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  12. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Quick read that I found a couple of minutes ago. Not really long enough to recommend for the library, so I figured I'd post it here.

13. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

The writing could have used some refinement, but it was short, and the concept mostly amused me -- thanks. Though it does get me to wondering who "Joanne Rowling" would have shacked up with in Harry's books - Ginevron Weasley?

14. Dark Minion

It's borderline, but I think as a oneshot it could go into the library. I agree with blazzano concerning the writing, but nevertheless 4/5.

The last sentence made me lol in real life.

15. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I loled my ass off it was very funny.

16. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I agree most of what you said. Although I'm not completely satisfied with the last two chapters (something just felt off about the "events" that happen...), and I'm skeptical regarding Harry and Ron completely abandoning Hermione, I think I could give it a 4/5. It was written very well, and all in all, I enjoyed it enough to almost miss submitting a CS assignment (luckily I finished in time). I can't remember the last time I read a pure romance story, and I'm glad that the time I did decide to read one was a decent experience. I admit that the plot probably wasn't the absolute best, but it was good enough.

I'll probably submit it for Library consideration once I get some studying done tonight/tomorrow/day after (if anyone else feels it's worthy of submission, go ahead).

Edit: That HJ Potter story was indeed amusing. I smiled IRL.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  17. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Where it Takes Us
    Padma is at a crossroads in her life. She can either stay on the known path, or take the turn and see where it takes her. One-shot Padma-Harry
    Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - Romance - Chapters: 1 - Words: 10,474 - Reviews: 13 - Published: 8-9-09 - Harry P. & Padma P.

A brief, nice romance piece. Nothing special, but I find reading these types of fics every now and then to be enjoyable. Writing was spot on, minus the instances where italics were used - an "i" and "/i" are on either side of the italicized sentences for some reason.

Only problems I really had with it were two of the usual pitfalls in these short romance fics. The everyone (in this case Hermione, Ron, an OC, Hannah...) knows that Harry and Padma are in love before they do situation. Then the OC who does nothing but tease Harry and whomever about the aforementioned fact. I feel like I've seen these two things in most short romance fics. It gets tiresome.

I'd give it a 3-3.5. Don't know what other people will think of it, however. I'm a sucker for a decent romance fic. But I know that isn't a popular genre here.

18. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really enjoyed that. You covered most of the problems that were mentioned and I think the 3/5 rating is just. I'll bump it up to 4/5 because of my blatant Padma fanboyism.

19. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Harry Potter and the Reluctantly Paternal Uncle by PenRifle

Vernon Dursley likes to drink. Harry uses this to his advantage. Soon, between mixing drinks and discussing cars, they form an unlikely and somewhat disturbing bond. Chaos is sure to ensue. Featuring Happy-Drunk!Vernon and Smart!Harry. AU. HP/LL, RW/HG. Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - Humor/Adventure - Chapters: 2 - Words: 6,411 - Reviews: 108 - Updated: 11-10-09 - Published: 11-4-09 - Harry P. & Vernon D.

link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5488860/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Reluctantly_Paternal_Uncle

Short, slightly humorous fic, presenting the concept of a Harry and Vernon who secretly get along. There's not much to it--a little over 6400 words--but it's a good way to spend 10 minutes. Vernon's advice to Harry on assorted subjects (including the Wizarding World) got some chuckles. Give it a look, folks.

20. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I can't decide what to think of it. On one hand, it's originality makes me want to read more. But the ingrained hatred of all things Dursley makes me want to stop. Then, I foresee a Harry/Draco friendship if Harry follows Vernon's advice, and I'm yet to read a satisfactory one. Nevertheless, until there is more I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Not open for further replies.