1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP On the Way to Greatness - By Mira Mirth - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ChuckDaTruck, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Anme

Anme Professor

A great update. This is one of the best stories out there. 5/5

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yet another good chapter. I really like how this story is playing out.

3. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Awesome chapter is :awesome

4. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As usual, great stuff.

5. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Wow Superb chapter and story.

The chapter is totally great.

The story is totally improving as the years are continuing.

5/5 from me

6. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

FUCK! I've got to go to class now, and won't have a chance to read it until later tonight. (;_;)

7. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

This.

As the years progress, the more awesome the story has become. Also the latest duel was quite realistic in terms of what Harry's abilities are at this point in time.

5/5

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

9. Bittersweet

Bittersweet Groundskeeper

It's a real pity the author takes so long between his/her updates, being able to follow this story without having to reread chapters would make it so much better than it already is.

4.5/5 (0.5 deducted for the update time)

10. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Maybe I'm missing something, I read it pretty fast, but I found it strange that they chose presumably untested Mindfuck Mints (which are awesome, I agree) to create a distraction when they needed to be able to control an already delicate situation. It looks less like a prepared disruption than if they had the twins blow up a shitload of fireworks like in canon, but obviously it's very unpredictable to give hallucinogens to someone who can do magic. And then the actual magic she's displaying is crazy. So I hope the whole thing will be cleared up, because right now it feels a lot like a convenient plot device.

I honestly don't know what duel you're talking about, but then I seem to be missing stuff.

Writing and the characterization are still excellent (the psychology of how students and the Order perceive Harry stands out), but I don't think I liked this as much as previous chapters.

11. Seitou

Seitou Third Year

^
    You must have missed the part where the twins started to become almost homicidal with Umbridge, they were more interestied in hurting her then following the plan.

12. oephyx

I'm not questioning the the twins' judgement, I'm questioning Harry's. He approved this plan, and apparently thought it was a good idea, but for something that was supposed to be delicate, it's not prepared very thouroughly.

For this to work they need to have a good timing, and be able to predict Umbridge's actions to a certain extent.

13. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Yes, and what Harry had wanted them to do would have been fine. But the twins were not listening to Harry really and were doing whatever they damn well pleased which is what caused this situation as they were more interested in causing harm than actually accomplishing the plan.

14. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Which is why Harry can't delegate the way his firends want him too. They act like they could help him, but really, compared to Harry, they are far too incompetent, both magically and mentally, to really be of help. I'm sure it will be a dilemma that plays a larger role in the future.

15. oephyx

No, not as far as we know; they seem to have done what they were supposed to. Harry says he approved the Mindfuck Mints, knowing they had serious psychedelic effects. We'll probably learn why Umbridge went mad to that extent, but right now don't have a particular reason to think the Weasleys did anything that wasn't planned. It's probably someone sent Umbridge to bother Harry though, so maybe they tampered otherwise as well.

16. Ched

I really wish Harry would say almost exactly this to the Twins and maybe some others. Maybe it would hit home with them.

17. Ched

Updated! Spoilers in my review.

I had to re-read the last chapter to remember where the story was at though.

Harry had a bit of an attitude in this one I didn't like all that much -- he's been bitching about being involved and clued in all the time, but now he wants to back out of something because it might be dangerous. Granted he gets over it somewhat, and he's not the same Harry from canon, but still. At least he has a bit of sense about getting out of danger when he's over his head if he doesn't have a good reason to stay.

Anyone remember what kind of magic Harry did that apparently has Fawkes all pissy? Or is that a more general thing with Harry just learning some violent spells? Granted by the end of the chapter he's tossing out Unforgivables, so eh.

Still one of my favorite stories to follow at the moment, though I do hope that the next update is sooner than the last.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  18. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Very nice, as usual. I actually liked that Harry was put in a position to have to choose. Meaning that he didn't get to stick with his Slytherin tendencies of 'wait and see'.

What's mira's fascination with past participles, though? Several times the had whatever's are used when they clearly shouldn't have been. It wasn't a huge problem, really, but it made reading through dialogue pretty awkward this go-round.

19. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I'd say it was the Killing Curse he used during the battle in the Graveyard, if there is only one instance and not the rather extensive knowledge of curses we usually only see from Death Eaters that did it over time. It works for me.

I also had to glance back at the last chapter a bit to remember what had happened, but it came back pretty quickly. Thoroughly enjoyable new chapter.

Question for mira mirth. That seemed like the climatic end of the year event to me, though, if I recall correctly, there's still quite a bit of time before the end of the school year. Given the story so far, I figured we'd have had five chapters here. Does this mean you finished quicker than expected (in terms of words) or is there another chapter to come for this year alone?

20. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Mira doesn't post here, but I have discussed the issue with her. Apparently, there's still a ton of fallout that she couldn't cram into last chapter, as well as a great deal of vital information that needs to be given before year's end.