1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Less Wrong - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by headbanger22, Mar 9, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. happilyeverafter

happilyeverafter Sixth Year

This made me click x. I really don't like boffy Harry, 1/5 on principle.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seriously? One small little detail makes you click X? What an absurd reason, then again, I guess you are no worse than half of the other replies to this topic.

Far as im concerned, stories rated on enjoyability, not certain aspects of it. I've enjoyed it a lot, so continues to get a 5/5 from me at the moment.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What the fuck's been wrong with you lately? It's like you've been PMSing for the past fortnight over ever story that's come through here. I check the Review forum every day and I can't remember a single post by you that wasn't something along the lines of 'This sucks giant donkey balls, fuck it all'.

Still, you've got a point on this one. I like the story but so far it's been pretty stale as far as actual plot goes.

4. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

No, not really. They were still the same people as far as we know. They just had some memories changed and were being confused into doing something immidiately after the charm was in effect.

And, as i said, this is hermione, someone who don't know what she is doing, and who had to rush. Dumbledore, with his Trauma about his sister, is so going to do that.

First, this wouldn't change Harry, it would just make him re-do his prior reasoning.

Second, it would be really stupid, as Harry would be coming back to his parents unless he wants to forego the blood protection, and that Dumbledore doesn't want to Destroy Harry for the doubtful gain of a Harry that has a more 'Tame' political agenda.

This is a Dumbledore, you know. the one who didn't use legilimency on Lockhart, or who didn't move against Quirrelmort, or who didn't do anything against Draco even though the moron was endangering other students and teachers.

Wanting him to change Harry at 11 because he isn't 'conventional' is pure stupidity.

5. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

It's not that I object to a story where Draco thinks this way, or even that Draco is this sophisticated? or tutored in manipulation and whatnot. My objection is more that he is characterized that way and STILL blurts it out in front of Harry. I also do not like that Harry hears it, disagrees with it, realizes that Draco is a psychopath, and then calmly goes about trying to gently ease him away from the dark side. Draco becomes a masterful moron and Harry becomes a creepy hero. Plus, if this is a serious fic, then Harry's precociousness is less tolerable to me. My reading of the first few chapters left me with the impression that this fic would be interesting and a little silly. Now, I'm not too sure what the author is going for.

6. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

It explicitly says that Harry realized that Draco was not a psychopath, but rather the society Draco belongs to is medieval. Draco is not a person who knows how society works (or is supposed to work) and subverts it; he is a person who was raised to believe he is entitled to whatever he wants within certain limits, and that people who are not Dumbledore or Voldemort are supposed to grovel before him and give him whatever he wants lest he destroy them. As if he is a Ducal heir and the Lovegoods are commoners - of course he can rape her. She should feel privileged he chose to rape her and not some other girl.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  7. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

Okay. So, he's not a psychopath. But neither is he portrayed as a ducal heir blinded by entitlement. Clearly he has been tutored in manipulation. That implies that people don't give him whatever he wants. Someone with that kind of training, would have to understand other people's motivations and differing worldviews, even in an insular society like wizardom. If everyone viewed things like that, then there would be no need for manipulation, only negotiation.

8. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Chapter 8 has been released.

I feel like it's a bit over-the-top, but I'll go along with it for now. Chapter 7 was definitely better, though.

9. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Manipulations are for equals.

Lucius/Draco *still* needs to manipulate people that have power themselves.

Anyway, about chapter 8, i see it as a way to make sure they don't go into Gryffindor, and do introduce a bit more of what Harry is looking for.

Also, am i the only one who thinks the Ravenclaw prefect is going to disappoint Harry?

10. cold burn

cold burn Third Year

No I agree that the ravenclaw prefect will be disappointing -after all Percy never came across as overly brave and chivalrous. So why would any of the other prefects represent their house?

Anyways I've come to the conclusion that the author hasn't decided, or has only decided recently whether this is a Crack-Fic with a little plot or a serious story that's be heavy handed with the comic relief. And until he chooses what this will be the story won't ever reach it's potential for either the lulz or the actual level of quality that a story that applied the logic that Rowling's stories where clearly lacking: could reach.

11. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This last chapter was awful. I can already see this is going to end up with Hermione in Ravenclaw and Harmony farther down the line. I am disappoint.

12. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

Meh. This chapter seemed more like setup and filler than anything else. Only I'm still not quite sure what it's setting up. Mordac's probably right, but it was too vague to tell. This story's still wait-and-see for me.

13. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I think we just need to see some more consistency. Right now I don't know how to classify this fic. Perhaps with a few more chapters we'll know more.

With regards to chapter 8, I definitely felt like the author was trying too hard to set up a relationship between Harry and Hermione.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One superkid is hard to swallow, but he's the main character, so I can roll with it. Two superkids? That's trickier to buy.

I don't see why he felt the need to upgrade Hermione's intelligence from canon. She was never really a genius, just an above-average intelligence with a good memory among a gang of idiots. Now she's talking about quarks. If Harry's influence had slowly made her more scientifically-minded over time, that's okay. But to have her already be a mini-Harry doesn't work for me.

Also, lol at the author mentioning us in his A.N. I looked at his website; he looks like a pretty cool guy. And he's read Godel, Escher, Bach, which means I'm going to like him.

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tis a filler chapter really.

The explanations are a tad over the top imo, doesn't need to explain ALL the scientific stuff like that.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dunno, it is the point of the fic. I think it's meant to be less of a story and more of a Harry Potter thought experiment.

The real test of this story for me, given the above, will be whether Harry is actually rational or not. Will he consider the possibility that the principles of rationality (and I use rationality in the author's sense, rather than the technical sense) might not be entirely suitable for investigating magic? And if he does, what will his reaction be?

Basically, will he be rational or dogmatic.

This section is encouraging in that regard:

Now, the fic looks like it will go in the direction that magic is explainable, and that's fine, but at least he's considering the possibility that it might not fit neatly into science, and that it's going to be a hard endeavour.

Remember esama's Stargate crossover, where Harry tried to convince the wizarding world that there was no such thing as magic? That's what I don't want this fic to turn out as.

17. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

This is fic is rather charming (except for bitch-boy Harry going off at Minerva).

That said, I'm bored. Move is out of first year. I don't want to read about a child.

18. Arachnoid

Arachnoid Squib

Eh, 1/5, I see the attempts at humor. I don't see this story achieving much past the Tylenol factor, I want to enjoy what I'm reading, not strain the brain deciphering technical and scientific terminology in a spin off of a series of books originally written for children. I'll scan future updates to see if the potential, that is there, is being used.

Perhaps I should clarify, when I referred to the "strain the brain" I was not implying that anything the author had written had confused, bewildered or approached any comfort zone. I should have stated that if I wanted to read scientific journals or technical manuals I would not look for them in fanfiction. I understand the need to portray Harry as an Intellectual genius with a firm understanding of scientific theory and such, but does every conversation and interaction have to turn into a lecture or class in something? They are 11 year old kids. to sum it up, its dry and doesn't grab the attention the way it has the potential to do, so I will await further updates to see the authors direction.

19. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

At first I was like "Hey! I couldn't name the quarks when I was eleven, and I was a real geek!" but then I considered it and decided that Hermione doesn't actually understand anything about quantum physics - she can just recite stuff. Maybe she knows the periodic table by heart, but can she do chemistry? I doubt it. She can probably recite Newton's Laws, and maybe Maxwell's equations, but I doubt she can solve high school physics test problems.

Was is the experiment to demonstrate positive bias the author has described that strained your mind beyond your comfort zone? I haven't read any of the books he listed (IIRC), but I don't feel he used terminology that should confuse a young adult. Granted, it's not for 8 year olds, but then, neither were JKR's latter books. Actually, the scientific method itself can probably be explained to young children, without using any terminology. The author is kinda trying to do that, but he has Harry showing off a bit too much, which if often off putting. But that's not the same as being strained by deciphering what he says...

20. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Canon Hermione is an annoying bitch, but sure as hell she isn't retarded. This Hermione is the exact opposite. I know this is a humour story and caricatures are allowed, but it still annoyed me.

Not open for further replies.