1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Warfare 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Kang, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Heh, forgot to mention, my kill-streaks atm are sentry gun, precision air-strike and pave low.

2. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

All of you are n00bs.

Riot Shield - AT4/RPG - C4

Scavenger
    Danger Close
    Sitrep

:rolleyes:

3. Litany of Hatred

Litany of Hatred Fourth Year

Call of Duty: Modern HurrDurr 2

tactical:
    1. of or pertaining to tactics, esp. military or naval tactics.
    2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.
    3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.
    4. expedient; calculated.
    5. prudent; politic.
    6. Slang. stuff get blowed-up real good everywhere!

The designers of these games need a frigging reality check. For all you kid-gamers out there who think the "tactical" buzzword makes stuff cool? Stop it — there is nothing tactical about this game. When you can feel an ambush coming on; see the warning signs; even predict the direction of enemy fire... and can't avoid the frigging ambush? Yeah, that's not tactical — that's stupid. There's is no unit cohesion, no usage of domains of dominance, no point-mark stacking, no useful intel... soldiers in the field, being shot at, are the ones who have to pilot UAVs while under fire? Wow.

The plot is a terrible hackneyed version of a modern day Red Dawn meets terrorism, and was executed with the thoughtlessness I have come to expect from the entertainment industry. Yes, the United States could certainly miss a massive mobilization from a potentially hostile country. As they move across the Atlantic and Pacific simultaneously undetected, we will run diagnostics on our multiple RADAR installations because they all seem to be detecting hundreds of airborne targets at the same time. Sounds completely reasonable! Also? Our Navy is conveniently non-existent, of course. It would be too inconvenient to the "plot".

Apparently, however, when America isn't busy sticking its collective thumb up its rectum it is developing technology that allows a soldier to heal bullet wounds in seconds so long as he gets to cover. *sigh* I find myself longing for they days of Rogue Spear again...

What retard redneck believes the Russian Military still uses AK-47s and RPGs? Jesus Christ! They upgraded to the AK-74 AGES ago, and again several years ago to the AN-94! Fucks sake! Do some goddamn research you morons! Additionally, the SCAR-H fires 7.62x51mm (the SCAR-L fires the more common 5.56x45mm, you idiots), and so does the FAL. When I shoot someone with a goddamn sniper cartridge, I expect them not to get the fuck back up and keep shooting at me. And when did landmines start jumping into the air? I lol'd. Seriously, you can't get much more retarded than jumping landmines. That was not a challenge, Infinity Ward.

Another thing this game did was try to drive me insane screaming "friendly fire!" If you scream "friendly fire", then someone had better be shooting a fucking friendly. You don't scream that bullshit EVERY-SINGLE-FUCKING-TIME my bullets come within six feet of you. If you don't want my bullets to be so close to you, do something useful like not be in my line of fire you fucking twat. Staring at the enemy isn't so effective when they're shooting at you with rifles; blocking the shot of the only guy who knows how to shoot and actually HIT the bastards — forcing him to fire around you, then complaining about his firing around you — is just asinine.

Despite the three (THREE!) separate warnings about the level of difficulty I was attempting, beating the game took little more than five hours. Essentially, Modern Warfare 2 is nothing more than Wolfenstein 3D with pretty graphics, useless teammates, useless non-stop radio chatter, and a useless giant flaming heap of eyeroll-worthy drama. I can, quite honestly, say the artfully crafted museum style ending credits were my favorite part of the game.

2/5; did not rate multiplayer.

4. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jumping landmines are real. They are deployed all along the Korean border. They're called "Bouncing Betty."

5. Oz

[​IMG]

Bounding mines are real, btw.

6. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    [​IMG]

7. Litany of Hatred

Perhaps I was unclear, I did not anticipate anyone knowing what a bounding mine was, and simply cut that paragraph from my review. The mine they used in this game was NOT a bounding mine. Bounding mines are not shaped like buzzsaw blades, but more rounded like a conventional bomb. If it had been a bounding mine, it would have fragmented downward and at waist height. If I am to be clear in this: there is no way to survive a bounding mine at point blank range (unless something is in front of you)... certainly not by hitting the deck. What was in game was a landmine, that jumped, and sounded like an RC helicopter. The fragmentation was WRONG.

EDIT: lolz. Not mad at all, really. I have a frustrating job, so I rant about all kinds of stupid shit no one cares about.

8. Oz

Eh, gotta keep it interesting, and if it means they bend a few facts then I don't mind. My only major complaint about the game was how short the campaign was.

9. Litany of Hatred

*nods* I agree with keeping it interesting. That's why I didn't make a list of the ultra-minor errors they made (AK-47s using modern picitinny sighting rails, red dot sights placing the dot too high above iron-sights, etc.). I've always appreciated the older Tom Clancy titles — but even he lost me right about the time of Splinter Cell.

To each his own. In my opinion, Mass Effect 2 (with its ability to both equip and command your squad mates) was far more "tactical" than this game. My problem is with the developer making claims of an accurate representation of modern warfare, than of anyone else's particular like for the title.

Hopefully, this and games like it will bring in a new era of shooters where you're forced to actually aim down the weapon sight rather than a stupid reticle floating out in the middle of space (it's always in the center of the goddamn screen... do we really still need the game to point this out to us?).

Now, if we can just get back to the days of Rogue Spear and the original Ghost Recon. No mid-mission save bullshit... you die you do it all over again. Come up with a better plan, or get more skill. Now that's a game. No pansy fucking around with "checkpoints". Bah...

10. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

@ Litany of Hatred

If you want a realistic fps, I recommend Red Orchestra. It's getting kind of old, but it's still very playable.

And who can resist Russia vs. Germany? We don't get enough of the Ostfront in games.

Edit: Litany, you can find it on Steam (or torrent I guess). There's no campaign, but a totally rockin' multi-player makes up for it.

Or, another option, you can wait for Red Orchestra 2 to come out.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  11. Litany of Hatred

Indeed? Thank you for the recommendation. I'll do my best to find it.

Very much appreciated.

12. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

All I hear is wahhhh wahhhh wahhhh - It's a goddamn video game. Want a realistic FPS? Go join the army.

13. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

What he said is exactly what I'm thinking.

14. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

Expecting FPS games to be realistic and fun, i lol'd. Also >did not rate multiplayer

facepalm.jpg

15. Myst

Myst Headmaster

I never beat the campaign on Modern Warfare 2. Never even played it. I simply bought the game for its multiplayer.

16. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Basically this. I saw that Litany of Fail had started posting again. Dunno why I'd hoped he'd improved or anything.

17. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Not to mention the fact it's based 5 years in the FUTURE in a FICTIONAL timeline, so to speak.

Buzzsaw-esque mines could be real. America might not have need for a Navy by then. Russia might just face-rape the whole damn world. As people have said, it's a game, so they can do as they please really.

It's like people reading Twilight & suddenly wondering why the hell they don't just burst into flames when they walk in the sun...

18. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Quoted because it needs to be said again.

The game is fun. Play it because you want to, not because you assume it to be a sim.

19. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

But I hear there are no respawn points in RL...

I thought MW2 was okay. The heart beat sensor and the convoluted story... well, I have my misgivings. As for the multiplayer... well, it's obvious why Litany and I have never played it online, if you catch my drift.

TF2 is still my favorite FPS. It hasn't aged well (I'm bloody sick of it) but I still have fun every now and then. Sometimes, my heart starts beating and my hands start shaking...

20. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Played the multiplayer on both PC and Xbox, was unimpressed. Haven't touched it in weeks.

The sheer number of intervention/barret/danger close kids makes it unplayable