1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Warfare 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Kang, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Litany of Hatred

Litany of Hatred Fourth Year

Five years in the future when the Russians magically decide to begin using the (by then) 71 year old AK-47 again. As I've stated, this is perfectly reasonable logic. :awesome

Oh, I feel so castigated. No, really...

If accepting substandard games is your thing, more power to you. I'm not here to judge you and you can't really attack me as I don't give a shit.

I was hoping — in vain it seems — to engender a more critical discussion about the game. This is also amusing however, as it is wonderfully ironic to see you iconoclasts putting on your fanboy hats. Do continue.

2. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the game has already been discussed. Single player was ... alright, I guess. Multiplayer is where the fun is at, as long as you know how to mute people and are able to adapt to the type of game play it presents; a quick playing run-and-gun-ish.

Oh yeah, and spec ops is a pain in the ass.

Considering it's 2010 and it's still in use today ... why the hell not?

3. Litany of Hatred

It is one of the most rugged weapons ever developed. Other than a revolver, the AK-47 and the Mosin Nagant are some of the most prolific firearms in existence.

Its role in modern combat is strained, paradoxically, by the same factors that have contributed to its longevity. I won't go into specifics, but "loose tolerances" is the 47's blessing and curse.

There aren't many weapons that could be stored in mud for thirty years and still fire the same as the day they were made. The 47 is that weapon; though whether it is because the weapon is just that durable or because it shot like it'd been a piece of junk for years is always debatable.

EDIT: Personally, I like some of the Spec Ops missions more than the Campaign.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  4. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Prestige 3 or 4. Level 50

Primary

Scar-H Silenced
    Scavenger Pro
    Stopping Power Pro
    Commando Pro

Claymore
    2x Flash

Killstreaks

Harrier/Predator
    Pave low
    Chopper gunner/Nuke

Setup depends on the game type I am playing though.

5. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

If it ain't broke, don't fix it as the saying goes.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

The Russian's haven't let a decade pass without updating or changing the AK in some way. I think they're at AK-109 or some shit by now.

7. Litany of Hatred

The AN-94 Abakan. AK series is dead and gone now...

8. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Nah. The problem is you got everything wrong though. MW2's the most realistic game ever made. The Russian's still use the AK-47 and RPD, and the story could easily happen today. That's why the game's so scary.

Edit: Damn. Baited too hard?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  9. Salah

Salah Card Captored and buttsecksed

Prestige 6 Level 70

Primary:
    Intervention Thermal

Secondary:
    Model 1887 Akimbo

Perks:
    Slight of Hand Pro
    Stopping Power Pro
    Ninja Pro

Other:
    Claymore
    2x Stun

Killstreaks:
    UAV
    Care Package
    Predator

This is my Search and Destroy class.

10. Litany of Hatred

Shit, sorry. My bad.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

The sniper thing would piss me off, btw. BF:1942 (which I play a lot of nowadays for unknown reasons) does the same thing - a blast from a scout rifle and the fuckers just flinch and keep running. Ditto in Vietnam, where you can nail someone dead center with an M40 and they just keep going.

I don't expect a ton realism-wise but that's easy shit to program, let's be honest here.

12. Litany of Hatred

*nods* The surreal elements of gaming were originally in place because, in my mind, they just did not have the technology to make a realistic and challenging game. AI scripts were virtually non-existent in those days, and no hardware could handle them regardless. Now that we have the tech, the surreal elements have in some ways become even more exaggerated. Personally, I think it's a step in the wrong direction. We should be bringing games closer to reality and giving more immersion to the player.

Again, just my opinion.

13. reggin

This is why I prefer hardcore modes which it's more "realistic" shooting. If I shoot someone with a sniper rifle, they go down instantly.

14. Mindless

Reason sniper rifles aren't as powerful as they are in real life is because that would fucking burn the multi down. No one would do anything else, and if you tried, you'd just die constantly. It's not really that much fun.

15. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

HERP DERP, alright then, whats your stance on a "surreal game" that incorporates "realism" and all that jazz? Oh you mean a game that you get shot once and bleed out? Or maybe a game with modern weapons and realistic sounds with realistic physics? Oh wait its been done, (Operation Flashpoint etc) and guess what? They were boring as shit just like everything you described.

Also it seems you like to think the AI is lacking, i can help you out. Oh wait its called multiplayerm nvm then.

16. Litany of Hatred

The problem here is that just about every weapon should be as lethal as a sniper rifle. Snipers should only have an advantage in long expanses or open spaces.

EDIT: The SCAR-H, the FAL, the "MG4", the M14... they all shoot 7.62x51mm, which makes them all pack the exact same punch. Damage, in my mind should be according to cartridge; accuracy, ROF, etc. according to weapon.

17. Mindless

But again. It'd just be everyone instadies. Comes down to who sees the other guy first. Call me old-school, but I like a game where I can charge someone and not get shot down instantly. It's not realistic, but I'll be glad when this realistic shit trend is over. There's a point where you can balance realism and fun, and I like that point.

18. reggin

... This is why not as many people use the FAL and the MG4 compared to weapons such as the SCAR-H. It has the "jump" on all of the weapons you listed.

EDIT: Unless you fire from the hip, and then it's all HURR DURR.

19. Litany of Hatred

I do see where you're coming from and I'm (very) oldschool gaming myself. Honestly though, I don't see how it's much different than what is already in place. 9 out of 10 times, the guy who sights the other in first is going to get the kill. The classic way just takes a lot more ammo, making it so the other guy has a chance (albeit slim) to come out on top, especially if he has a better gun. The classic deathmatch, to me, is essentially a game of "whose is bigger?". To me, perfectly ambushing someone only to have them turn around post headshot and noob-cannon me to death really takes the fun out of a game — fast.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

There will always be deathmatch-type games (Borderlands and TF2 hai) but on the other side of the coin, the realistic games need to go for it and not hold back.