1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Browncoat, Green Eyes by nonjon - Firefly - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by nonjon, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Just re-read the entire thing for the seventh time. This is my go to fic when I'm in the mood for something long and I don't want to look up something new.

This fic right here is actually what introduced me to the Firefly series and I have to thank nonjon for that.

There isn't much more to say than that but I give it a 5/5.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

For the life of me I can't remember why I kept putting off reading this since I'm a fan of Firefly as well as HP. I finally got around it over the last 3-4 days.

I can't really decide if I want to rate it 4.5 or 5, so I'm just going to go with a 5/5 because in the end I did have a hell of a fun time reading it, and that counts for more than anything else.

This is one of the best plotted stories I've read in Fanfiction. By far. It starts off with Harry being "called" on to find River, and at first I thought that was going to be the focus of the story. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it ended up becoming more of a side-plot with the primary plot being what happened to the Wizarding World. You even included the "secret society" to add another threat to what they were trying to do -- and you integrated that well also. I don't see how plotting could have been done any better.

Characterizations were good. Harry was spot on, and I absolutely loved that you made him an older fellow. I get really tired of the stories where Harry is time-travelling or ...or doing whatever and is only about 30 years old but acts/is-treated as if he is Dumbledore's age.

OCs like Harry Fullerton, Algenon, Frank, and Antonio were brilliant. Excellent example of how to do OCs. Likewise River, who was partly an OC due to the changes in her from the show due to Harry's training and help, was amazing. She was not a Mary Sue, she was not OP, she was fun to read and just quirky enough.

Actually my only minor criticism of the story as a whole are the other Firefly characters. Don't get me wrong -- they were characterized perfectly. Mal, Inara, Zoe, Jayne, Simon, Kaylee -- they were all spot on as far as attitudes, priorities, and whatnot went. But they just seemed 2-dimensional for some reason, or perhaps that isn't the right term. It's also true that this might have been best for the story as well as intentional, since in the end the story was *about* Harry and just happened to include the Firefly cast.

Anyway... bloody brilliant story. Thank you very much for writing and sharing it.

3. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

Because Nonjon, unlike the majority of fanfiction authors, knows how to set up a feasible plotline outline before writing half the story and into a dozen dead-ends.

Nonjon, similar to Shezza for the Dresden series, is 100% the reason I picked up the DVDs and love the crew of the Serenity.

Easily 5/5

On a sidenote, I also reread this about once a year, along with several of Nonjon's fics. And I enjoy all of them immensely every time I do.

Cheers to quality writing.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I have to say, this fic definitely lead to me watching firefly, then serenity, then showing them both to mum, which lead to her buying them. :p

5. squiz

squiz Squib

I'v read all of Nonjon's stories and they all rock.

6. Sir Chris

Sir Chris First Year

I am a big fan of Nonjon and this may be his crowning achievement. This is the story that got me to watch Firefly, and it is completely awesome. I think it is hard for Nonjon at times for Harry not to just destroy everyone while laughing evilly, and I like that he manages to reign it in. You can tell in his writing that Nonjon has a lot of love for Harry Potter because he tenderly takes care of his character whenever he writes about him in any of his stories.

5/5 and it isn't even close.

7. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Agreed that this story is absolutely fantastic. It is difficult to find true criticism, to be honest.

5/5 from me.

8. J22

J22 Seventh Year

While Browncoat is hugely awesome, I think it started to get a tad tedious towards the end. I prefer A Black Comedy personally.
    Still gets 5/5 though.

9. TrekkifulRon

TrekkifulRon Squib

great story perhaps still popular after so long it deserves a sequel?

10. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sorry, I wasn't going to bother writing anything in this thread, even if this is my favorite HP fanfic and the only Firefly fanfic I can read without gagging.

So, the answer is: No.

It is encapsulated in itself, it does not "deserve" a sequel like a saint doesn't serve a kick in the nuts. The story, in my mind, is complete. I'd rather not see someone else mess with it. And I don't think nonjon writes anymore.

11. J22

J22 Seventh Year

There are a few short omakes in his Yahoo group if I recall correctly but Jeram speaks truth. Definitely no sequel needed.

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I certainly wouldn't complain if Nonjon came up with a good idea for a sequel, but it doesn't need one. Also, I love this story. It was one of the first fanfictions I really liked, and one of the few from my early days that I'd even consider reading again. Epic stuff.

13. turtle7

turtle7 Backtraced

I read it and didn't know anything about firefly and still found it a good read. That means you are a good author in my book.

Is there a sequel in the makings perhaps? I would love to read it.

14. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

How the hell does this have 292 responses and only 40 votes? Are you people being lazy out there?

Anyway, simplistic writing style sometimes void of detail, especially in the beginning. Seemed to go on forever with the main focus being on Harry's awesome self with plenty of humor molded in.

I think the story suffered from a humor mill trying to pass as a dramatic story. Would have been better if he had focused on more dramatic story-telling and less on the humor. I will admit I laughed quite a bit throughout, just thought it was jarring going from humor to tense moment and back again.

The writing grew solid as I went forward, but the divide between serious and humor grew worse when the survivors of earth were awakened. When they found earth burned out and bad, but the levity of finding the goblins hiding and them picking up peeves was too stark a contrast.

So overall, I'd give it a 4/5 because despite me not able to finish it I liked what I read.

EDIT: It seems seven more people have added their votes. Yet, I can't help but feel this is still underrated in number of votes.

And I thought nonjon deserved better from DLP. I am disappoint.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  15. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I've had this on my reading list for years but always hesitated because the cross over never appealed to me despite being a fan of Nonjons other work.

But having a lot of free time I finally decided to read it... Very disappointing.

You can tell this is one of his first works, the writing, character interaction and humor are all very immature. Many times he has the characters laugh and seemingly invite us to laugh at the jokes like a poor laughter track on a 60s sitcom.

Much like some of his latter work he has a almost painfully obvious obsession with certain characters which make those interactions cringe worthy to read. Since those are the characters he focuses on it massively detracts from the story.

I can see traces of his style and humor here that are fully realised and much better in his latter work. But here they are still very unfinished.

The actual plot itself is ok, but like most of his work, the plot is a crutch to the character interaction.

Also having watched Firefly last year he doesn't portray the characters well, the captain especially rubbed me the wrong way. They almost seem caricatures of their show selves.

2.5/5

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Loved this when I first read it nearly 10 years ago, however while I enjoy rereading A Black Comedy now and them, I can't do the same with this.

17. Deathhiccup

Deathhiccup Muggle

I was excited for this story because I am a member of both fandoms, but it wasn't executed exactly how I had hoped. I enjoyed it a lot and found certain aspects to be brilliant but my major gripe is in the portrayal of characters. The characters from Firefly in particular felt flat, one-dimensional. The nuances of personality were wiped away leaving only caricatures. I loved the concepts and ideas presented here especially as gaps were filled and questioned answered about the Verse. I just wanted more from the characters I loved. Not just Harry. 4/5

18. CorvusBlack

CorvusBlack Squib

High Score:
    This is a fantastic story which I have read multiple times. I really enjoyed that he didn't go so far out of either canon to be unrecognizable and I feel as if the characterizations were spot on. 4.5/5

19. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

20. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

He sounds like a robot, but it must be nice for nonjon that someone liked his story enough to spend god knows how long reading it out.