1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Other than Ron being a prejudiced retard, you're right about them not having a problem with him, but I don't think that goes both ways. To me, it always seemed like Harry disliked Ron.

Also, I think you misunderstood what insanity was saying. It wasn't that what The Santi wrote was wrong, it was that they'd used the wrong word. Allowing for a greater margin of error means that you can screw up more without it being a big deal.

2. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

I might have missed/forgotten some parts, but Snape observed Harry's spell chain/dueling abilities when he just got back from Durmstrang.

When and where did Snape get the chance to see the new and improved Harry?

3. The Greek

The Greek Second Year

^ This. Where did Snape see Harry cast even a single spell, much less a chain he recognised? I thought Harry just threatened Ron.

Did you skip a paragraph or a few lines or something?

4. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

If I recall, The Santi wrote a few chapters back on how Lily said Snape was interested in his spell chain and either Harry thought he was going to send it or it was implied.

5. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

He did. Twice.

6. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I agree, Ron is one of the most retarded characters in Canon, and usually in Fanon, too. He was even more of an idiot when he was younger. He's probably one of the most useless characters in the books besides Ginny. This is why Harry dislikes Ron; he's an ignoramus.

7. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Actually, I'm quite sure Harry dislikes Ron because he monopolized Nathan's time when Harry still was in Hogwarts. As far as Harry is concerned, Ron stole his brother. That, and as vad3r said, he was upset and just wanted to blame someone.

And speaking of Ginny, she was more talented than Canon!Harry...and thankfully less whiny.

8. Insanity

Insanity Second Year DLP Supporter

Perhaps its just me but while that is what I think Santi (and I agree with the idea) meant I read it as saying that he has less chance of messing up the harder spells which doesn't make sense.

"Greater margin for error" means he has more room to be wrong before it causes problems not that he's more likely to be wrong.

9. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

He set himself on fire, twice, turned a goblet to acid... and a bunch of other things. Considering she only knows what could happen while mucking around with too-advanced spells, I say her reaction was spot on.

10. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I agree on that. Ginny was also more talented than Ron. As Harry says in "What would Slytherin Harry do?", I'll use what he says to Ron: "Nothing Personal, you're just useless." Which speaks the truth.

11. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

This doesn't sound right to me, but after reading up on margins of error, I realized that the reason is the use of "for" rather than "of". To me, if you're going to say a greater margin for error, it seems to be speaking of how much room you have in order to comfortably operate (like walking down the middle of a sidewalk versus walking down the rail of a railroad track). On the other hand, if you're speaking of the margin of error, then you're speaking of how likely you are to mess up - the higher it is, the more likely you are to mess up.

12. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Just to clarify, I hate Ron. I have an entire fic dedicated to different ways to kill him. That said while I hate him, I've worked way to hard to make the character interaction in this story logical to insert random bashing. Ron will be disliked by Harry, but I'm going to give realistic reasons (at least realistic to me) as to why.

Insanity and Rin got it right. I was trying to talk about Margin of Error, and I obviously flubbed a bit. Thanks for the catch.

I did find it interesting that some of you thought Harry was acting too logical and calm for a first year during the part with Lily, and others were surprised that he seemed to lose composure when talking to Ron & Hermione. My thoughts are simple. Harry would have had time to come up with what to say to his mother (I might go back and imply that some where just to clarify), but he was frustrated and annoyed at Hogwarts. His brother was obviously injured and the adults weren't telling him what happened. He just lost control and snapped.

Oh and as far as the Durmstrang Robes at Hogwarts, I thought it was somewhat implied that he was required to wear them, but I'll see if I can find a place to add something about that as well.

13. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

Okay, here's my take on the recent chapters. I won't mention grammar errors since so many seem to be doing that.

First off: Viktor's grandfather. You had Viktor mention that he was the Minister of Defense, but to me this sounds too Muggle-like, and uninteresting. Minister of Magical Defense or Head of the Department of Magical Defensive Measures sounds much better. But it's only a suggestion.

You wrote somewhere that Harry was "surprised to see both Viktor and Kira glaring at Calypso." Why? The only reason I got was that it was implied that Viktor did it because Calypso ignored Kira, which to me makes no sense since Kira is doing EXACTLY that to Harry. Did I miss something?

Regarding the whole Ron Made Nathan Do It theory, I think it holds some merit. I agree that Harry is most likely mad because Ron basically stole his brother, and Ron hates Harry because he attends Durmstrang, but think about this: Half of the stupid things Harry did in canon were because of Ron in some way. He was his first real friend in the Wizarding world and probably thought highly of his opinion. The same could hold true for Nathan here, the only difference being that Ron is his first real friend away from home. That's all I have to say.

Now some questions:

Do the Potters have a family owl (or several)? Did Harry get Hedwig? Otherwise I just was wondering how he could send letters at home. If they did have a family owl that would kind of necessitate Harry buying Hedwig obsolete.

What's Nathan's 'power the Dark Lord knows not?' As Lily did not die for him, he did not get blood protection.

14. Bittersweet

Bittersweet Groundskeeper

'The power the Dark Lord knows not' was never the blood protection but the idea of love.

15. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Love.

In this case personified by his genius, overprotective, dark-arts slinging twin brother.

16. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

OK Now I get it. Thanks.

17. Ph34r_n0_3V1L

Ph34r_n0_3V1L First Year

"He will have power the Dark Lord knows not" = Harry. They haven't mentioned it yet, but Harry and Nathan were conjoined twins at birth. They were connected at the hand, so technically Harry has/is his brother's hand: "either must die at the hand of the other..."

18. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Wait . . . what?

Did I miss something? Where did it ever say they were conjoined? Conjoined as in siamese twins? Now that is a twin-who-lived fanfic waiting to be written.

19. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Crack... Smoke less.

That is all.

20. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Damnit. I thought it updated. Fuck you cunts.

Not open for further replies.