1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finally got around to reading it and I have to say I was surprised. I really enjoyed it and can't wait for an update. It's pretty much the only fic I'm actively following these days. My only gripes are "Dan and Emma" as names for Hermione's parents and the uncertainty that you'll finish the fic.

Oh and to anyone who thought this was an update. trollface.jpg

2. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

Thanks for being the bumping fucktard Seratin. One thing I wonder about that hasn't been mentioned yet is whether or not Harry would consider telling Dumbledore about his friendship with Calypso Rosier.

3. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

^ Betraying that information would be completely out of character for Harry right now. What do you think would happen if the Chief Mugwup himself discovered that one of the darkest family lines is still kicking? Besides, Harry values his friends too much to give up that kind of info.

Rageface.jpg @ trollface.jpg

4. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

Dumbledore is also the person who cleared the way for him to go to Durmstrang in the first place and is his 'grandfather' and would probably be more understanding of his situation than his parents. Harry still seems a little wary of the Rosier family in general and if he were going to ask for advice from anyone about them I think it would be Dumbledore. That said, I do think you're right that it would be out of character for him to not conceal that information. Harry's a don't trouble trouble till trouble troubles you kind of guy. It was just a thought I had after I read the story last night and felt that I'd post if it hadn't been so long since the last bump.

Hate @ trollface.jpg

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

For reals. This one, Sitra Ahra, and Alexandra Quick are the only 3 HP stories I'm actively following at the moment. Updates ftw.

6. BioHazard82

BioHazard82 Squib

I agree, but you would think if anyone would understand it would be James because he ended up befriending a boy from a well known dark family himself while in school.

7. Seratin

High Score:
    Yeah but at the same time, it's James. Not known to be the most understanding of Death Eaters or their families. Anyway, Conispirator!Calypso fails hard. Having her unaware would be much more awesome and allow me to continue liking her as bonus. I might have skimmed it but did we ever get a description of what she looks like?

8. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

okay between Conspirator!Calypso and Dumbledore keeping Harry's brothers condition from him you had officially annoyed me.

However you took it a step further and had Dumbledore not only not learn from his mistake of keeping Harry out of the loop but he went further and actively MADE THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN. He decided in Harry's best interest he should keep Voldemort's activities a secret. Anyone who takes the time to think this through can realize that is a stupid idea so having both of Harry's parents and Dumbledore agree to go along with it seems particularly stupid.

Think about it if Voldemort is still alive then if he ever gets a body back then he could just tell Harry about how everyone lied to him about what happened with the stone. Dumbledore and Harry's parents know Voldemort is alive therefore they should reach this conclusion. Atleast one of them should. I accept using stupid ideas once in awhile to progress the story forward but you have used it three times in a small amount of time which makes it hard to accept and ignore.

I still plan on reading this story since it is interesting but it isn't considered one of my favorites anymore after this update. Since you have forced events too much to the point it is frustrating to read. I just don't see any point to these forced events you keep putting in since I could see events working well if you just let events take their natural course. So really if they are unnecessary then why have Dumbledore make the dumb decision to have Harry's family hide events from him.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  9. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Eh, as far as HP stories go this one has more logic than most. I approve of this snippy. Keep at it. I have to admit I expected more tension from the Dark arts scene, but I guess that is just a pet peeve.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Well I don't agree with Jigokuno. It's natural that Dumbedore is keeping Voldemort part of Stone situation in secret from Harry. We are talking about eleven year old kid. When I imagine if I'd said to my nephew who is the same age, that he was manipulated by Dark Lord who tried to kill his brother, I think I wouldn't do that. Why? Because he is to young, right now it doesn't really matter to anyone and would probably make him feel guilty about something he didn't do. Like - maybe he shouldn't listen to Quirell and go to Durmstrang. Dumbledore didn't say anything to Harry because right now it would make more harm than good. Of course I think that somebody should tell Harry when he is older - maybe 14, but I have feeling that he will discover this on his own, and will not like it.

As for the rest - this will be great read when it's completed, but right now I really would like to jump to more interesting part, like 4th year and Triwizard Tournament. That or more updates, like one every week. ;)

11. liath

liath Seventh Year

Well, definitely an interesting chapter and an interesting response. I don't normally comment on stories, but here's my little addition.

I actually like the direction the story is headed.

I don't feel the events are "forced".

And the hidden motives and secrets are a lifeline to stories. They are what add spice. What allows for heightened tension and lead up to the eventual revelation.

Honestly, it'd be a boring story otherwise. Really, to be honest, those are the only points holding this story together. It would simply be a different kind of canon rehash otherwise.

To sum it up, I really do disagree with Jigokuno.

12. Seratin

High Score:
    It seemed a bit filler-ish but I suppose it's to be expected. Picked up a few errors that I'll go over when I've had sleep. >_>

Anyway, you need to kill your social life and spend your time writing for our entertainment. :3

13. Catman

Catman DA Member

You are a fucking joke, I doubt anybody cares if you are annoyed with their story

What mistake? He didn't want to make a 12 year old panic over whether or not his brother was going to live or die. The only reason Harry found out was that Pomfrey enabled him. And then he asks Nathan not to tell him about being tutored by Voldemort. Neither of these things are even the same thing, let alone mistakes.

So if Harry doesn't know Voldemort is alive, Voldemort will tell Harry that they lied to him and...?

Even if we assume Harry immediately knows they knew and lied to him, so what? If he going to go join the Death Eaters for the terrible betrayal and abuse he's suffered at their hands?

...yeah...

Well, I for one really do enjoy this story. I could tell at one point that you were partially copying the end of PS in the beginning of the first scene, but you made the smooth transition into your own world without any drop in writing quality or change of character in Dumbledore, so very good job.

The last scene over skipping the Dark Arts class was good too, though I felt it was just an info dump to some extent, even though you stay in character with Lily and James. Also, I may have missed it, but it seemed like Sirius came out of nowhere to put in his 2 cents. Might want to put in something about him being there for Quiditch or something.

The Kings Cross scene was good, in a writing quality sense, but I don't understand why the twins and Percy were angry at Harry. The only thing I can think of is that they are mad over Harry's and Ron's confrontation, but I figured that would have just appeared as a spat between two eleven year olds, not something older brothers would be rushing in to defend him from.

14. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

I'll join liath and disagree with Jigokuno in saying that the latest snippet doesn't feel forced and it seems like it's going in an interesting direction.

The scene where James and Lily find out Harry is moving ahead in dark arts is pretty appropriate, considering that they are understandably worried about their child delving into in too deeply yet they don't not rant/preach to him about it.

Overall, whilst it was a filler chapter it was still pretty good.

Keep it up.

15. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Quite enjoyable.

While on some levels it did feel like filler (definitely not a bad thing though), I get the feeling that the first scene is going to come back to haunt Nathan and Dumbledore. I can't say that if I were in Dumbledore's place that I would do any differently, c'mon guys Harry is 11 here (not exactly the most reasonable or mature age), but in a few years when all of the truth comes out about everything there are going to be a lot of butthurt feelings flying around.

It's also nice to see James, Lily and Sirius acting reasonable in regards to Harry and his Dark Arts stuff.

16. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter DA Member

17. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Here goes Jigokuno again. I think he's the type where every story he reads has to be perfect, or he will won't read it.

I find Santi's update to be really, really good, and hope that he includes Calypso during the summer scenes.

Sirius' support of Harry was well thought out, since even though he's an order member, as a Black he knows or has an idea of what Harry is going through among a bunch of dark wizards and witches in training.

18. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Really enjoyed it, nice work.

I'm two sides about Dumbledore not telling Harry. One side, his eleven, and all the above reasons are perfectly good reasons to not key him in. On the other side, it can (and hopefully?) bite them in the ass later on. The whole Potter family knows Voldemort is out there, and they have been keeping that from Harry for years (skipping ahead here), then Harry find outs that they knew. I would feel betrayed, even if they did it in the best interest. Keeping a secret from one member from the family, no matter how big or small, will most times bite you in the ass if they find out. Might only be a small bite in the ass, but if used at the right moment... it could potentially tip someone over if they were already dealing with other shit.

Not saying you should change it, I actually hope you purposely did it that way as a plot point you can use further down the road. Good work.

19. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I'm thinking that this is the case. IIRC from the summary it says that Harry actually is a Dark Wizard. So a few events like this plus whatever other chaos is raised I think is going to split Harry from his family and set him towards that path.

The thing is though is that even though Harry might be 'dark' I can not see him ever going to Voldemort. I mean just look at how he reacted to Quirrell (sp?) attacking his brother, granted he was rather less reactionary when confronted with Rosier Sr. but still ...

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Ok, yeah, Dumbledore is making a stupid decision here, that's obvious. Especially since Harry is already thinking about the events surrounding the incident. He'll figure it out.

But I don't think it's the huge story flaw that Jigo thinks it is. It's irritating, but in a way that I can understand. I'd like to see the fall-out from just telling him what was going on instead of being secretive too, since that does make a more sense to me (11 or not), but he has to consider that he doesn't know what Harry has been learning at Durmstrang or if there might be some subtle command leftover from Voldemort in him. He's making the "safe" choice, though it's clearly going to blow up in his face.

Same thing with telling Pomphrey not to update him on Nathan's status -- stupid decision I think, but then we're in Harry's head and Dumbledore isn't.

I thought it was a good chapter and enjoyed the hell out of reading it. Nice to see an update. I hope you intend to continue on into later years yeah? I can't wait to see Harry when he gets bigger. Especially if he makes it into the Triwizard Tourney or at least attends Hogwarts for it.

Characterizations are great. Thank you for having Sirius at least understand what's up with Harry and the Dark Arts class. If everyone always seemed to be against him then it would get damned old fast.

Cheers, and thanks for writing.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
Not open for further replies.