1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Dark Marauder by BajaB - K+

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Jearom, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Portus

Portus Heir

I was speaking more of when I'm typing a reply here at DLP with the D'dore thing, but you make an excellent point about DD, HH, etc. when typing out the story you're writing. I write mostly longhand, which gives me time to think, but even when transcribing that to the computer, I could definitely use that find-replace function more so than I do now.

As for the story, I thought I'd already posted that it was excellent. It's been a bit since I read it, but I remember thinking it wasn't over the top as far as the skill level of James, Sirius and Remus. Yes, it was far and away better than anyone we've seen as a student or recent student at Hogwarts, but they were supposedly gifted and smart. Perhaps kind of like Hermione with a real nasty streak, if she spent time looking for trouble instead of having it find her as a result of being Harry's friend. And remember, those guys were supposedly at least as talented as Snape, and that asshole was inventing spells before leaving school.

Anyway, I'm not a real fan of Marauder fics, just like I'm no fan of James/Lily fics, since the outcome is pretty much set unless you go completely off the reservation into a Potters Live AU, but this story, like almost all BajaB's stories, was well-written and fun to read. I hesitate to give a rating unless I go back and read it through again, though.

2. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

The goblins shouldn't allow them to access the vault. Parts are a little unbelievable, though the author could systematically go through and clean it up. I'm surprised they killed Snape and kept Peter.

I like the bit of Hemingway in there. Couldn't figure it and had to look it up.

4/5, definite keeper.

3. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Story was great. I didn't want to read it the first time when it was reviewed, but I read it some time after that, and very much loved it. I'd give it a 5/5.

4. jjack1003

jjack1003 Second Year

when I first read the summary, I thought it would be bad, but I read it and enjoyed it very much.

definitely a 5/5
    I really hope there is a sequel or even a prequel to this story

5. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Let me say that I find the writing in this story very well done. The plot is intriguing and well thought-out. The characters are three-dimensional and interesting. This has all the makings of a solid 4.5/5 from me.

But I cannot, in good conscience, give it above 2.5/5.

Frankly, I'm somewhat disturbed by the fact that everyone who has been singing the praises of this story has failed to point out the fact that the "heroes" of the story murdered a one-year old in cold blood. I am referring to Draco Malfoy, and while it isn't explicitly stated, it does say that there were two Killing Curses fired off after Lucius died, and Narcissa and Draco were the only other two present.

Now, I know that Draco Malfoy is not well-liked on DLP, but come on! The boy is one-year old! He hasn't developed that hateful personality, and given his parent's deaths, if he were placed in a good household, he never would. He was killed solely because his father was a Death Eater. And it is also stated that many other families of Death Eaters died that night, implying that several more children were killed by our supposed heroes. I know that this was to show just how off the deep end the Marauders had gone, and I could accept it if somewhere in the story somebody said, "What the fuck? That's just wrong." But no! As far as the story is concerned, it is a perfectly reasonable and righteous thing to do. And I'm just as disturbed that nobody here seemed to want to point out this little act was wrong. You don't honestly believe that they were doing the right thing, do you?

With my piece said, I've marked my score as 2/5 for this story.

6. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I believe the term is anti-hero.

7. happilyeverafter

happilyeverafter Sixth Year

Now, I know that I really shouldn't be commenting on something that was last posted on in June, as I was called a troll for doing that last time, but I have to say that this could be one of the best MWPP era fictions. It has excellent characterisations but also a great idea, I think that this is the kind of fan fiction I spend my day shifting through crap to find. Sirius was well done, so was Remus and so was James. They all had valid reasons for what they were doing and it was not just a "I'm going to kill loads of people for the hell of it." A very twisted yet amazing story.
    A definite 5/5 for me.

8. turtle7

turtle7 Backtraced

As far as villainy and evil go, this fic is a great illustration of what I consider those qualities to be - traitorous and cunning. Its no surprise that most of the witches and wizards who go dark come out of Slytherin.

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

The only thing I've ever been unhesitant to rate "Excellent" - seriously.

10. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Er ... what. How does this have any relevance to this one-shot? None of the Marauders were from Slytherin.

On the story itself, I only rate stories 5/5, which I'm willing to go back to read more than once. This is one of those stories. Excellently well-written, nicely characterised and the portrayal of all the Marauders were awesome. The fight scenes were nice and more importantly, the dark vibe and atmosphere of the story was maintained throughout.

One of the finest stories in the MWPP era, and perhaps the only one. As I've never read anything remotely good in that genre, far from being as good as this one.

5/5, one of the finest one-shots in Harry Potter fan-fiction and probably the best dark story that I've ever read.

11. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

How the fuck are you not banned yet?

12. JackW092

JackW092 Guest

I loved this story.
    I definitely give this 5/5.

13. Caleb_Lestrange

Caleb_Lestrange Backtraced

I really liked the story as a whole very good 4/5 :)

14. GTMFPS

GTMFPS Squib

4.5 / 5

I'm not a fan of marauder fics but this story has something bout it that makes me wish there was more of it.

I think it's because of the dark aspect of it and how it is straight to the point unlike most other fics like this where it goes on and on about an inconsequential thing. For example the colour of the room. Or what a spell does.

I hope that the author writes another one-shot about what the marauders do or harry going to school as the way it was ended is quite open and leaves room for expansion.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  15. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I agree that it is a great story, but please don't necro a three year old thread unless it's to inform us that a sequel has been posted or something along those lines.

16. Photon

Photon Order Member

Again - is it always OK to post reviews in library threads.

17. frantic

frantic Boosted

Usually it's okay, if you post like an in-depth review or something.

Half a paragraph about how you thought it was 'bretty gud' is sort of stupid.