1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

I'm not sure either of them would have been raised to fear Voldemort's name considering Siriushad no problem saying it in canon.

2. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Indeed. Nor did James or Remus, if I'm recalling correctly. Add to this the fact that Dumbledore - who's been a close family friend of the Potters - says it all the time he refers to Voldemort, and I find Harry's gasping and looking horrified about it completely out of character. Actually, it was the only thing in the entire chapter that was really jarring. Otherwise, great stuff so far. Also...

Fixed it for ya. ;)

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry graduates by his fifth year. After he and Calypso take a year to discover themselves he returns to Hogwarts to properlyteach DADA. One night Nathan receives a message to report directly to Dumbledore's office. Professor Potter is very disappointed in his poor grades.. Ladies and Gents I have uncovered Santi's grand trolling attempt. This entire thing is one extended prologue for :office 3. You have been warned.

4. cataclysim

cataclysim Second Year

Great Update! I am hoping that Harry will be able to transform in his second year and his form will not be too powerful. Keep up the good work.
    You writing style is very good and i hope that you complete this story.

5. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Not too powerful? I hope it is not powerful at all. Being an animagus is not some power up. It is an ability that's only usefullness is that when in the animal form you are immune/resistant to things that targets humans like dementors and the werewolf curse. That and you can sneak around if people don't know that it is you.

The reason that this will be in the story, I imagine, is because Harry showing that he has the ability will make him more accepted in the continental pureblood society. Remember, their elitism revolves around whether a family has genetic magical abilities.

6. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

No.

What Necrule said sounds about right. Also even though Harry here is quite the prodigy there is no way that he should manage the Animagus stuff as a twelve year old. James, Sirius, and Peter managed it in there 5th year IIRC. I'd imagine that that is going to be something of an ongoing project for him.

7. Bittersweet

Bittersweet Groundskeeper

What does being an animagus have to do with genetic magical ability? As far as I recall from canon, it's just another skill, like apparation which can be learned. It's just that it's a difficult ability to learn and doesn't have much use.

And just to complete my tangent on my pet peeve, the animagus form is not predetermined but something you choose. I mean you tell me the odds of the marauders all just happening to have an unbelievably rare magical ability and also in the exact forms they need (two large forms to control Lupin and one small one to freeze the Willow).

8. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's not real canon, but it is canon in this fic. It's been a while since I read this, but IIRC, Calypso mentions that purebloods carry the genetic traits for these rare abilities, that's why they discriminate against muggleborns.

9. Bittersweet

Oh. My bad then. Was being an animagus one of these or was that just assumed?

10. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

It is. It was explicitly mentioned, and while I'm not a fan of this plot point it's not such a big deal that it will turn me off of this story.

11. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Or Harry might find out that he lacks the ability...and blame his mother for it.

Eh... It's not like they actually needed a small Animagus form to push the bumb - A simple Banishing Charm would work just as well. Besides, if Sirius and James wanted forms that worked well against a werewolf, they wouldn't choose a dog and a stag as neither of those animals have the ability to grab. Without the ability to pin Lupin down, the only way they can subdue him is to beat the shit out of him. No, it's far more likely that the Animagus for is predetermined. Besides, if people can choose their own forms, why aren't there any multiple Animagi?

12. Bittersweet

I mentioned the small enough because it was explicitly mentioned in the third book. All the points were actually, but Lupin - I guess during the confrontation in the shack. Also a large dog (supposed to be the wolf's size) and a stag are enough to subdue the werewolf, as it was Sirius on his own almost managed.

And multiple animagi? Firstly it probably isn't possible, since a wand isn't required it isn't self-transfiguration per se, and there could be a bonding process involved. Second, what would the use be? As it is, one form is so useless than almost no one has it, so imagine someone working for two.

13. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

You're talking out of your ass, Bittersweet.

As far as we know, an animagus form is linked to the wizard's personality (though maybe it's the other way around), and we have no indication that he can choose it (would Pettigrew really have chosen a rat?).

We also know Sirius didn't need to be a rat to have access to the shrieking shack. In fact, the way Lupin talks about it makes it clear that they benefited from the practical aspects of their forms, but that they didn't choose their forms to suit those needs:
    It's implicitly quite clear that their aim in becoming animagi was to keep Lupin company because he wasn't dangerous to their animal form:
    It's also slightly contradictory for you to argue that they chose their animagus forms to cater to their needs, but at the same time that animagus forms aren't much use anyways. In canon they're particularly useful, so I don't know where you get that part from.

Edit: Of course The Santi is free to do as he pleases, as he already slightly deviates from canon in his interpretation of animagi. And really, I'd rather this not be derailed again, it's not useful to debate magical theory in story threads.

Edit no.2: Just take it to PMs or IRC of whatever, you spewing half-random BS. No idea where you get the idea that Sirius needed Crookshanks. Animagus forms saved both Pettigrew and Sirius's lives, it was obviously useful for Rita Skeeter, and only moderately so for McGonagall.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  14. Bittersweet

As far as we know? From where? It was never specifically mentioned in canon. Further, Sirius had access to the Shrieking Shack because of Crookshanks.

Why Peter would want to choose a rat rather than some other small animal is beyond me but for all we know there could be some story there.

Finally, I meant that angimagus forms are, in general, fairly useless. They can have uses in some particular cases (like mentioned before with the resistance to dementors etc) but there are hardly cases that come about very often.

15. zoxabels

zoxabels First Year DLP Supporter

If you want to move around without someone knowing, the animagus form can be useful (provided other people don't know about it).
    Or if you have a small animagus, like Peter or Rita, you can use it to spy on people.
    So i do believe that having an animagus form can be useful.
    But that's just my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  16. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

When Victor mentioned what happens at Welcoming Feast, I was thinking that we will not see anything else. Thankfully that wasn't a case.

Still, I have one complain, that I said probably to many times already - you need some action. As for now, we have Harry who only read in letters or hear from his brother about adventures. I know that it's not in his character to find trouble, but that doesn't mean trouble can't find him. Or maybe some mystery? The signs that Gellert left on walls before he was expelled form school are interesting.

All in all, as much as I like the way you handle your characters and their interactions, something needs to happen to them.

17. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Nah, this update's great! You don't need heart stopping action scenes written at every chapter.

My only concern though is that you're making the Durmstrang students too skilled, that it would seem impossible for their champion to not win the Triwizard cup.

Unless, you're planning to have Durmstrang win it, and that would be awesome.

18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I don't remember even one like that (as heart stopping), but whatever ;) . When I said action, I didn't mean fighting, just that something more important could happen. Right now, we only have interactions between characters and noting more unless we take into account what happened to Nathan, but it's nothing new for us.

It's interesting problem on its own. Because don't forget that it was Victor who become champion in first place and he isn't that great with magic aside dark. Unless of course Santi thinks his Victor is different from canon, then Goblet shouldn't select champions by their overall skills in magic, but their personality traits like determination.

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Is it just me, or are the size and font of the text in this latest posted chapter all over the place? Makes it kind of hard to read to be honest...

20. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

First thing is that you're mixing two fonts, which makes it awkward to read here (obviously has no impact once you post the finished work).

It's not so much action scenes as a plot driving the story, beyond day to day school life. I'm enjoying this, so I won't complain.

So, all in all it's good. I didn't like the letter - telling the reader something he already knows is a bit bland. Either you need to change the events, or make Hermione's point of view interesting, to make her charactersiation more compelling.

Calypso is extremely well done, and the rest of your OCs are also good.

I felt there were some non-sequiturs in the dialogue, but maybe that's just me:
    He just said he's already started it...
    Not sure why it would have anything to do with her Stunning him.

A few typo/editing mistakes, only one of which bothered me:
    Edit: Ninja'd. What LT2000 said :p.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
Not open for further replies.