1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

E3 News!

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Heleor, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

The theme of this year's E3 is a competition to see which CEO is doing the most powerful drugs.

Microsoft started it off pretty well on Sunday by inducting all the attendees into their religion. Recording devices were forbidden, but through people snapping pictures of the inside of the hall, we got to see some disturbing scenes. Every attendee got to borrow their own white silk ponchos, which came with a weird device that apparently lit up and changed colors. The performance was organized by Cirque de Soleil, and involved families floating on couches, robotic elephants, and light shows. Oh, and Kinect was revealed as the new name for Natal.

Microsoft continued with their press interview this morning. I slept through it, but all reviews said it was boring - they focused only on the casuals with their Kinect.

EA was next, and was actually pretty decent. They revealed 10 games.

Ubisoft just ended, and they're the ones that compete with the initial thing for the amount of drugs people were taking. There was a laser tag competition, a spiritual sequal to Rez on Kinect, a Vitality Sensor of their own (?!), a breathing game, more weird sports, in between some actual good games.

Tomorrow: Nintendo and Sony.

Has anyone else been following these?

2. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Did anyone understand what the fuck this kid was talking about with the drug shit?

3. kevo125

kevo125 Second Year

I missed E3 today cause parents wanted to go tour college im going to and I noticed too late that i had booked the tour the same day E3 started. :( Parents wouldnt change. Anything good or new besides Kinect and new slim 360?

4. Heleor

5. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

Microsoft's Press Conference was the worst I've seen in years - basically a repeat of their Natal Press Conference, with the added in bonus of them trying to teach small children that tigers are snuggly and friendly. Some kid is going to get killed by trying to pet one in a zoo after that madness. They showed maybe 2 real games at most (if that) before spending an hour and a half peddling kiddy crap. Everyone hated it so much that they had to buy off all the journalists attending by giving them free 360 Slims. Pathetic. An utter waste of my time. It was amusing to see all the journalists waking up to chant how MS was the best when they announced the giveaway though.

Nintendo's Press Conference was hillarious due to Miyamoto making an idiot out of himself by spending 10-20 minutes trying to demo something whilst it persistently failed to work. He was swinging around like a monkey and the motion control was doing something else entirely, not corresponding to his actions in any way. He tried it maybe five times before making the "TURN OFF YOUR WIFIS" signal. The rest of the Press Conference was dreadful, as is usual for Nintendo in their current kiddy-incarnation, but the hilarity made up for it.

Sony's Press Conference was so so. They had a couple of interesting things in there - notably Portal 2. These interesting periods were slotted around boring ones though, so it wasn't really anything special.

The only good Press Conference this year was really EA, which (once you took the EA Sports out) was actually pretty great. The TOR trailer was fantastic, and Hot Pursuit looks amazing. They really hit a home run.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  6. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Nintendo had a pretty awesome conference if only because of the things they announced/showed off (like the new Legend of Zelda game they teased off camera last year). Sony's felt needlessly long, but it had three things I wanted to see on it: Steam support (from the sounds of things, I should be able to have Portal 2 on steam and play it via PS3 or PC?), inFamous 2 with fucking melee this time around (the lack of melee being the only reason I didn't buy inFamous), and fucking Twisted Metal, which just looks fun as hell.

Hard to say if Twisted Metal will be a good followup to the previous games, but I hope it is.

7. Heleor

I personally loved Nintendo's conference. The majority of the things announced were core titles, and even though the demo had issues on-stage, the video footage of the demo stations shows it working flawlessly. The 3DS seems great, especially with the new Kid Icarus and MGS Snake Eater games. Needed more Pokemon though.

8. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Ehh it's already known there's a new Pokemon game for the Spring 2011 in US, so there's no need. But everything else Nintendo was pretty rockin' - Goldeneye, DK Country, Kirby... and of course, 3DS stuff, including some games announced after the conference like Paper Mario, Mario Kart and Starfox. Oh, and Golden Sun. Been waiting for a sequel in that fucking game series for ages.

9. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

The badassery of this E3 can be summarized in one short line:

Twisted Metal

TWISTEDFUCKINGMETAL

Ahem...moving on...

Overall weak showing from Microsoftcore, though Ghost Recon is on the top of my 'Must Buy' list for this year. That along with what should be the closing chapter of the Gears of War universe.

BlahBlahKillzone3Blah

Hur-MotionSensor-Dur

WoWfags rejoice (even more space to grind in)

NEW GOLDEN SUN
    subtitle: There is a God

A game that actually makes use of swords the way they were meant to be used
    a.k.a. Metal Gear Solid Rising

The game that makes me piss myself
    - formerly Dead Space 2

Portal 2: Return of the Cake
    ...You Monster...

And coming to a PC near you:
    STAR WARS: THE GAME THAT PUTS THE LAST THREE MOVIES TO SHAME

10. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

Penny Arcade have summed things up pretty well:

[​IMG]

11. Kraken

Kraken Sixth Year

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

o_O

Pretty biased from Penny Arcade. Both MS and Sony are being bitches and blatantly ripping the Wii off.

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not liking the new Zelda's graphics. I much prefer the Twilight Princess realistic style.

Well, at least Skyward Sword is a badass name.

14. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

This. Can't fucking wait.

Seen the demo videos? Graphics look pretty spiffy, though I'll miss the old style. Controlling psynergy with the stylus looks like it could work well, though it might take awhile to get used to it (and perhaps a bug or two to work out). But best of all are the battles, which look great, and appear to maintain their brevity. Fantastic.

Two worries. I hope to God the puzzles don't get dumbed down from TLA (which were dumbed down - though contained far more variety - from the original). The ones in the demo were pretty straight forward, though, of course, they're just to show what the game is like. The second is length. Hoping for at least the originals length (~30-40 hours first play through), but TLA length (another 10 hours) would be awesome.

15. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Thankfully, unlike the Wii, you won't actually need to use the Move to play games. It will be an option. At least, from my understanding, and hell, that could potentially change.

Either way, I'm avoiding the fuck out of that thing. I rather like my controller, thanks.

16. Zarent

Zarent Seventh Year

There's a quote somewhere from Miyamoto saying that the gameplay is mostly finished but they really haven't started to polish graphics yet. So if that's all you're worried about, you're fine.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok, I haven't really played anything other than WoW in the last 5 years. Halo was pretty good. Portal was amazing. That's about it.

Before that however, I bought a Game Boy Advance JUST to play golden sun, and it's sequel. I've been wanting a third for so long, and am now ridiculously fucking excited for it.

Portal 2 looks incredibly as well, you monster.

18. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

G-g-golden sun 3?

;.;
    Thank you god.

19. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying DS for Golden Sun. I came buckets when I heard of it year ago and I'm still excited.

As for Portal 2, it looks awesome and I'll definitely buy it if there won't be any DRM crap.

20. Heleor

Portal's going to be on Steam - they're pretty good about not having any DRM. You do have to have Steam installed to play, if I remember correctly.