1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. goldenwolfeye

goldenwolfeye Seventh Year

I think its a bit unfair to assume that in this story Draco's beliefs are anything different that Calypso's. It makes little sense to say that he believes in blood purity simply because he is one. In canon it was the case, but to make that statement in this story with no evidence is wrong.

His belief may be more extreme than Calypso's, but to evidence in the story points to the fact that they must lie in the same vein.

2. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

You are speaking as if Calypso is constantly going her way to insult someone's lineage. She doesn't. Kira is exception rather than the rule. Besides, Kira is a pureblood.

Are you the author? If not, then how can you know?

What antithesis? Calypso doesn't really believe in the purity of blood; what she advocates is the importance of bloodlines and the magical talents they carry.

And, frankly, she's right. The holders of these "Bloodline Limits" are superior to ordinary wizards.

3. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I made a conjecture based on what I read, and what I know of canon.

What part of "I concede the point" was incomprehensible to you? I was just trying to offer constructive criticism based on a personal opinion.

That's one thing. Totally writing people off on the basis of ancestry is another.

Because of an extra talent that they may or may not be "more likely" to have as a result of their ancestor having it? That's superiority? You make it sound as though it's a sure-fire, fully-accessible advantage in every generation instead of an increased chance. It may be a factor, but little or no more so than legitimate skill or aptitude. It's fine if your interpretation is different, but this is why these discussions always turn into shitstorms.

It's not about being right or wrong, I'm reviewing to offer my thoughts to the author for consideration, not to have a one-off post picked apart like I'm arguing politics.

EDIT: And besides, I'm not even really disagreeing over that much here.

"starting to sound like" =/= I think they're the same.

When I say "starting to," I mean exactly that. She's starting to; vaguely reminiscent; in a similar vein of thought. That doesn't mean I think she's a raging bigot like Malfoy, just that she's entering that realm with comments like that.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Sounds just like Hogwarts.

5. DoWnEr

DoWnEr Second Year

Quoted for truth. Hogwarts lets it's teachers mind rape little kids. Tells little 11 year olds that some place is forbidden and that they'll die if they go there... to kids... kids normally get attracted to things they shouldn't do.

6. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Doesn't feel so wrong as it does...hmm, out of place, maybe?

The fact that Harry is only now suspecting Calypso of anything is a point of contention, if the last few pages of discussion are anything to go by.

IMO, with Harry just coming to a new place with absolutely no friends, he'd probably latch onto and defend someone like her pretty fast. That he only now is looking into the possibility of her spying on him could be attributed to this now being the second year and he's a little more settled in. Now he has the time and presence of mind to think on it.

So, not so much out of place, just seems...

7. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

Pretty good update, but I really wouldn't put in the bits about soul bonds, magical cores and technomancy. It just seems to spoil the mood a bit.

8. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Your face spoils the mood a bit. ;)

I lol'd for a good minute at that line.

9. Thorn

Thorn Professor

I'm thinking Calypso's just making a list of Harry and his ancestry as a pro list to give her father as reason to marry him.

10. Seratin

High Score:
    wat.

She's just turning thirteen. o_O

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Could it be some foretelling about Harry/Kira? ;)

But the way, we are now halfway to moment I'm waiting for and hope story will kick into high gear from there - The Triwizard Tournament.

12. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

/me sighs ... stupid forum just ate a nice long post...

While I didn't think that there was any problem with the actual scenes they did seem rather abrupt. To Harry this buildup of suspicion towards Calypso has taken a couple of months to reach this point. To the readers, it's only been a couple thousand words, and most of those words were about something else. This made it feel rather jarring to me. IMO, there needs to be a little bit more of foreshadowing about Calypso, maybe a short scene or two where those out of place questions that Calypso asks are shown, and then Harry reflects back on them in that final scene.

Overall, I think that it could work well as is, it doesn't feel all that off to me TBH.

Also, is it just me or was Kira less hostile than normal in here? I mean she just kind of mocked and baited him a little which is... rather nice by her standards.

13. Seratin

High Score:
    Well, she was just getting the lovin' prior to that conversation. I'd be happy too.

14. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

lol true... This makes a perfect spot for the one and only

:banana:

dancing banana man.

15. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

"You're brother" - your

I'm pretty sure Calypso is researching Harry as a potential match, not as an enemy. Seeing Kira in her underwear serves to awaken his interest in girls. If Calypso is a one trick pony like Kira implied, she might not be good enough to marry Harry. I wonder if her trick, like someone already said, is Legilimency.

16. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Nah, she just went about it in a more subtle way. Don't think Kira has ever enticed Victor away with 'soft kisses behind the ear' before - at least not in Harry's presence. Playing the cocktease right when it would cut the deepest.

17. Thorn

Thorn Professor

She also seems to be crushing on him, and her mind seems to be in a constant state of blood superiority. Adding herself to what appears to be an impressive list of Potter ancestry boosts her already impressive ancestry. Also, if you think 13 year old girls don't sit there and make lists/notes/pro con sheets/fantasize about marrying their crush - think again.

Just because they're too young for the actual deal doesn't mean they don't spend quite a bit of time thinking about it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Update is good stuff! Only thing that stands out to me is that Harry is comfortable talking about his suspicions in front of Kira. She's never really seemed on his side and tends to hang around because of Viktor. Nothing else seemed odd to me.

Hopefully Calypso isn't capable of manipulation of that degree, but that has already been discussed in this thread. Her father, however, might be subtly encouraging his daughter, etc.

Either way good stuff. Oh, and Viktor and Kira seemed a little bit... less embarrassed (?) than I'd expect when they went to Harry's room afterwards. Considering that they are what, around 15? Still worked though.

19. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Very good update. I've seen my older sister do those things regarding boys, writing pros and cons for crushing/dumping them, and then comparing her notes with her girl friends.

It will be hilarious to read a wary Harry looking at Calypso who's always behaving oddly around him.

20. cataclysim

cataclysim Second Year

Good update. I have a question regarding abilities that Harry may possess, seeing as we are nearing the revelation about cannon Harry being a parseltongue will this Harry have this ability or will it be Nathan? I hope that they both have it. This Harry could use it to his advantage as opposed to cannon Harry who was a really sissy.
    Keep up the good work and looking forward to moar!

Not open for further replies.