1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ray243, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Anme

Anme Professor

I guess you mean this?

"Quimley took Darla's hand. A moment later, they were yanked through space, and then they were standing in pitch darkness. Alexandra immediately lit her wand, and saw the cavern she had left, in the tunnels beneath Charmbridge. She recognized the clay floor beneath her."

This already happened in the previous chapter.

2. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Ah, I overlooked it.

I was thinking the the elf took them to the caverns under the school still in the Lands Below (where the underwater big cats are). I have to read more carefully.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

So, to clarify -- Is the reason that Darla was so close lipped because she literally could not tell Alexandra due to whatever enchantment? I wasn't clear about if they knew Darla had the information beforehand (even if they didn't know from where) or not and therefore put the charms on her.

Awesome update. I liked the Mr. Chu interaction. I hope Alex helps blow this story wide open eventually, since she can talk about it and they can't. I also hope she eventually tells someone, maybe Ms. Grimm (not the auror) about what all went on. Maybe when she graduates. I want someone to ooh and ahh and meeting Death, even if it's a long ways away.

I'm still a bit disappointed about what happened to the coin she got from Death.

Oh, wait a minute... I'm confused. Spoiler tags since it just came out today, but...

Alexandra threw the coin into the Lands Below. The Generous Ones said that it didn't matter which of them went through, but that a life had to be given. Alex threw the coin in and it closed. Payment received and accepted, right? So what the hell was Darla going back for? My first impression was that she had sacrificed herself to save her little sister, but Alex already took care of the sacrifice with her coin/Max. Am I missing something?

4. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

Short answer:

The coin satisfied Death and closed the gate, but Death isn't the one demanding a sacrifice; the token didn't satisfy the requirement of the Deathly Regiment.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And it's complete.

I gotta say, I'm definitely looking forward to book four. This was one of the best read's I've had in quite a while.

6. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Ha, so I got my wish in the end.

I must say, that seven years thing is really sad, and I hope that is going to be resolved eventually, because, damn, what a downer.

Still, *sadfaces* that it's gonna take so long for the next installment.

5/5

7. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Too bad we'll have to wait so long.

8. Ched

Great story. And honestly I sort of like that the author is completing each story before posting. Probably one of the reasons that the stories seem to flow so well. And if we keep to one a year... well, that probably averages out to a lot better than the majority of authors manage anyway.

I'm still left feeling disappointed at the conclusion to the "let's bring Max back" plot and what happened with the coin. But in the end the story was still epic and awesome. Can't wait for more.

9. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

So, I merged the threads. While I did process people's wish to see at least one of the fics of the trilogy in the Library, series are all in one thread, and it was just silly to make an exception. I was curious to see where the rating would go though, so I left it up as a single thread for a while.

I expected the rating to go higher up after the merge, but what probably happened is that people who had rated both threads found their second rating cancelled. The two threads combined gathered around 120 votes, not just 87. So, that'll be taken into account when we move the thread.

I'm aware that people can get rather passionate about this fic, so allow me to add: bitch in PMs if you like, but keep it off the thread.

/off to get painkillers

10. Innomine

High Score:
    I'm pretty confident that most of the people who did like the second fic will come back to rerate the combined thread, thus putting both in the library. Seems like a win/win for those of us who loved it. :p

Anyway, rerated the series 5/5, as thats how good I found it.

A question however, is it actually possible to remove votes from a thread, and revote on it? And if so, would that be a possibility for thia one?

11. Ched

Good question Ellisande. Might be nice to have people re-vote if possible, in case their higher rating (for the later series) was the one that got dropped but they haven't realized to come back and re-vote like you did.

Dunno if that's possible, and I guess we really shouldn't need to even if it'd be nice.

Also shouldn't be any reason for bitchin' Tinn. If people don't like it it then, well, oh well. Ideally everyone who voted actually read enough of the story to vote. It'd be irksome if people just voted based on what they read in the thread, but hopefully no one did that. *shrug*

I guess it is kind of a special taste in a story.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  12. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

You can change your vote any time, just click on the stars and change it. Don't think you can remove your vote though.

13. Ched

My impression was that Ellisande was asking if a mod/admin could remove all the votes from a thread so that the new combined thread could be re-voted on.

14. Innomine

High Score:
    Yeap, Cheddar has the right of it.

I also believe that after a certain time, you can put a new vote into the thread, instead of just changing it. I've noticed this by the mouseover, after revoting on a thread that i'd already voted on previously. It adds another vote, and changes the rating, so yeah.

15. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm sorry, I read through this whole thread a while back, and I'm only even looking at this series because of the very high ratings. I just want to confirm something here. There is no Harry Potter in this story, correct?

16. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Correct. The only canon entity in the story so far is Voldemort, who is mentioned in a historical context. The story is set in the United States after his fall.

This really is an excellent series by a writer who, by book 3, has developed professional-grade chops. If you're looking for something different, it's worth checking out. (The second and third stories are better than the first in the series). It's not traditional DLP fare, granted, but good storytelling nonetheless.

17. Zennith

High Score:
    thanks. I'm definitely gonna give it a read, just wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting myself in to.

EDIT: I'm now around 10 chapters in and I'm finding myself ensnared somewhat despite myself. It's very well written, and has been mentioned, the world itself seems quite phenomenal so far. I just WISH so badly that there was interaction with Harry, with the world we know. I mean, why not? Everything is so well done, there's no reason it couldn't work.

But ah well, its still a very good read so far. Now back to the story.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  18. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Keep reading. It gets a lot better later on. That is not to say the first book sucks by any means, but I agree with the above sentiments that the second and third books are better than the first.

19. Zennith

High Score:

Oh don't worry, I'm now about halfway through the third, and basically as I posted in a review on the second one, I'm thoroughly hooked.

Yeah, probably the most glowing review I've ever written...

20. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'll bump this, as I just found it and was impressed with the series. Spent basically the past two days reading all three stories, and enjoyed them. I think that the second book was probably the best, though book three is great too. Book one was an excellent start to the series, and gave some great background on Wizarding America how it might work in the Potterverse. The whole bit with the Lands Below stretched its canonicity, but it works out alright.

Definitely not the worst way to spend an afternoon - and it tends to suck you in, so plan for that.

I agree with some of the criticisms of the main character; she was rather unlikeable, in some cases almost overly so. Some of the other characters are better - particularly the ones introduced in the later books, where I believe the author has a bit more experience at making characters more interesting. As noted above, Max was such a great character that his death was as impactful to me as Dumbledore's was in canon to a 13-year old fangirl.

I also liked Julia, though at times I wasn't sure if I was reading into her depth or if she was just a caricature...Abraham Thorn is a very interesting character - I don't know quite what to make of him.

I enjoyed the Ozarkers, especially Innocence, who breaks the mold of what we know about them.

I'm glad Darla's dead, I wish she would've been written off a long time ago; bitch annoyed me.

To the author: Looking forward to more of both this series and the writings outside of this series that you might do.