1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Uh... dude, women are weak. Of course it's a patriarchal society.

2. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

Plus Wizards have beards, of course they would be on top.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

From the second chapter:

4. Thorn

Thorn Professor

5. greywizard-dumblemort

greywizard-dumblemort Fourth Year

Considering the era wizarding society seems to be trapped in it makes plenty of sense for it to be a patriarchal society. Old England wasn't much different from Old everywhere else. Daughters of those with status inherited as well but they were rarely ever made 'head' of the family over a son and in such cases there had to either be some pretty extenuating circumstances or severe eccentricity involved. Physical strength or ability didn't come into it, that's just the way it was.

6. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Wizards are not Muggles with magic. Why do you assume that sexism was ever institutionalised in the wizarding world? Magic makes the difference in physical strength meaningless and so witches were never in disadvantage. Their culture is likely to reflect that - and it does. There are women in high government offices and even in the most elite fighting force of the country.

7. Khortez

Khortez Third Year

Another example would be the founders of Hogwarts; two wizards, two witches, each supposedly great in their own right.

8. Oz

Except those are the two failboat houses. Gryffindors get all the glory and Slytherins get al the bitches.

And Random, if you can name an Auror that isn't Tonks, and a high-ranking government official that isn't Bones or Bagnold, I'll eat a bag of cocks.

EDIT: Under secretary doesn't count as high-ranking before you try that. :p

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  10. Oz

Wizengamot != senior ministry position, nor does administering examinations to schoolchildren. you can keep your bag. ;)

11. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I'll do it for him:

Aurors: Kingsley, Moody, Gawain Roberds, Rufus Scrimegour, Harry Potter, Dawlish, Frank and Alice Longbottom, Proudfoot and Ron Weasley.

Goverment officials: Rufus Scrimegour, Cornelius Fudge, Barty Crouch Sr, Pius Thicknesse, Yaxely, Ludo Bagman, Madam Edgecombe, Croaker, and Bodrick Bode.

Have a nice bag of cocks, Oz. :D

12. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

The point was to prove that there are/were women in positions of power and authority.

Point=missed

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    To be fair, he got Madam Edgecombe (Floo department, I think).

14. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

And Alice Longbottom as a Auror, although I don't remember her being an Auror.

15. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

Sexism could have been established in a number of other ways besides men beating those weak women into submission. For instance the Statute of secrecy was only established in the 17th century. So sexism would have carried over through nothing but cultural diffusion. As the wizarding world is closely tied to The muggle society

16. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Holy Shit.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible for a thread to be derailed so badly or as often as this one has been.

17. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

There are just enough updates to keep up a lot of interest, and just few enough updates to allow DLPers to drunkenly wander the landscape of conversation. It's like the Ballmer Peak of WbA.

18. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Have people forgotten poor Hestia Jones? Was she an Auror? Did we ever find out what she did or was she just enjoying unemployed rebellion?

19. greywizard-dumblemort

greywizard-dumblemort Fourth Year

God I hate these conversations... :S

At the end of the day no-one can say yes or no with any certainty. All we can do is speculate. Do you honestly think that a small number of women holding or having held positions of power is enough to be able to say a society isn't patriarchal or there isn't any male bias or institutionalised sexism...?

You can't determine something like that by looking at absolutes and ignoring the clear implications of relatives- it paints a pretty different picture. Besides, women have started holding some of the highest positions in our society as well in recent times but there's still a pretty significant male bias in a lot of cases.

You mention the fact that there are women in high office but I distinctly remember acknowledging that even in our old school patriarchal culture there existed such women- they just weren't as multitudinous as men. In the olden days there were ladies, baronesses, princesses, queens, duchesses, dames, countesses etc but that society is still considered patriarchal by history regardless of bagnolds, bones', Longbottoms etc.

This isn't about physical strength or magical strength making up for physical strength either, its an ideological thing that doesn't go away without massive idelogical changes.

BTW, this doesn't in any way reflect my own views. I'm just saying that arguing whether the wizarding world is or isn't patriarchal is pointless since no-one can prove it with any resonable degree of certainty.

20. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Yes, but where do you think that ideology stems from? As men aren't any smarter or more numerous that women, it must have been strength that allowed men to rule. No such unbalance of power exist between witches and wizards, and so it wouldn't make sense for the wizarding world to develop bias against women. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it would also be equally likely for the wizarding world to be matriarchal.

Not open for further replies.