1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

We never find out what Hestia Jones' job was. Madam Edgecombe seemed to be the magical equivalent to a switchboard operator, hardly a high-ranking government member. I am still waiting.

And hash, clearly I meant females. :rolleyes:

2. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

You cant prove they're all not secretly women! :awesome
    ... But yeah, I kinda didn't see that, coming in late on the thread, and I didn't even know Bagnold was a chick. Trust a woman to fuck it up so bad that Fudge would get elected.

See above. Also, considering she could do something like close down what is basically an entire town unto itself without anyone knowing or making issues, that says she's got some influence. Remember, a lot of the shit Umbridge did was below Fudge's radar, which means that she had to be keeping it quiet someway, and a switchboard operater has no chance in hell to hide the fact they're shutting down an entire town.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Witches appear to take the last name of Wizards when they marry. Their children therefore carry the name of the male parent, and are heirs to that union. I.e. the wife joins her husband's family, not the other way around. It's probably tradition passed on from muggles, but to me it implies that at some point in the past the wizarding world was patriarchal and therefore could still have remnants of that in their current society.

So I tend to think that there is a patriarchal element to the Wizarding world. I figure there's more evidence for it than against it.

It doesn't matter though. If you're writing fanfic where this could possibly come up, you can just clarify it within your story.

I know I'm a terribad writer, but seriously, we don't have enough information (as far as I can tell) to make a hard decision one way or the other. If you need to clarify it for your story then you can have it either way.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  4. Oz

... what? When did she ever "shut down a town"?

5. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Dear author, please post more story.

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

She could, in theory, since Floo isn't just for communication.

(And if the wizards in said town have no Portkeys, can't apparate, no brooms, charmed vehicles, flying creatures, etc)

Anyways, yeah: wizarding world =/= regular world in terms of sexism. It honestly seems to be a nonissue, because magical ability really is the great equalizer. Just because wizarding children take their parents last name doesn't imply the same level of (or even the existence of) gender prejudice. It's too much of a leap based on, essentially, nothing; that's like saying that wizards must have plasma televisions, by virtue of the fact that there's a wizarding radio network.

7. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well Blaise, given the quality of your average canon wizard and witch...

8. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

The reason women have less power in our society is because they are baby-machines. For example, just look at my school: The female teachers are having baby's all the time and it means a lot of our courses we change teachers.
    This is not good for the students or for the school since the school has to pay double salary.

In old times women could not go out hunting since they took care of the kids 3/4 of the time after they were 15. It's as simple as that.

Now, the male teachers in my school take just as much time of to be with their baby's as the female ones but that was not the case a hundred years ago so my argument stands valid:)

9. Hashasheen

Hogwarts should count as a small town/village/hamlet, considering it has a population of a few hundred students and teachers, and the fact that Umbridge and Edgecombe shut down all the possible ways of sending out information (Floo, Owl mail censored, brooms for some, Portkeys impossible) with no one the wiser, says something. And that's a place where the future leaders and the heirs of important people like Lucius Malfoy are.

10. gamingguru

gamingguru Fourth Year

Floo was monitored, but you could still use it to communicate, as Harry did with Sirius. What do brooms have to do with communication? Unless you mean she stopped people from using brooms to leave and deliver messages in person, in which case there is no canon evidence at all of that.

How are portkeys impossible? We've seen that at the very least Dumbledore can make Portketys that get past the wards, as well the Triwizard cup one from fourth year.

11. Oz

12. Hashasheen

Same difference. Both have populations with various means of communication that got clamped down on, and whereas a town could be isolated, this is a school with all the kids of important people.

1. True, forgot that.
    2. Communication in traveling around Britain, fleeing to Hogsmeade or just away from Hogwarts, and she did so to Harry. Sure it was primarily to strip him of his chance to play Quidditch, but let's not pretend keeping him to the ground at all times isn't beneficial at all to her.

1. Wards aren't canon.
    2. Portkeys have only been done by Dumbledore, Death Eaters or other Ministry officials . Not something that would be taught on a whim, I'd wager.

13. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

My high school holds a few hundred students. It's not a village.

14. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

The troll has not yet been sated.

15. Hashasheen

Meh, I'll quit arguing about it. It is a bit stupid. That said, any chance of an update Santi?

16. Oz

Hogwarts is still not a village. "Wards" might not be mentioned in canon, but there are magical protections. Or... you could call them wards I guess. :rolleyes:

And Dumbledore is not the only person to create a portkey on Hogwarts grounds. Case in point: Crouch.

17. Hashasheen

You could, but besides the Fidelius charm, how many "wards" have we seen?

... I did say Dumbledore, Death Eaters or Ministry officials.

18. Oz

Definition of ward. To guard: watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect; "guard my possessions while I'm away"

Sounds like any charm, curse or spell that protects someone/thing is a ward to me, boss.

19. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

Decent Story. Nothing breathtakingly original, but pretty well done.

I don't mind that there is, thus far, not much action in the story. The fields of spell creation and dark arts are ripe to be developed and the stage is set to do so.

As for Calypso's motivations, I doubt it's for the purposes of marriage. It's clear to me that Harry is being recognized as a very powerful wizard who could be lured to the dark arts. Quirrel-mort had the same motivations. Likewise, the DE's would want to cultivate information on Harry's family to learn what they could about the Old Magic protections on the BWL.

If that is correct, then I look forward to seeing the conflict in Calypso as her affections for Harry get in the way of her father's ambitions.

20. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

First off, there are no more Death Eaters. They are officially a dead organization at this point in time. They do not get together every month and plan dastardly plots. They aren't cultivating information on anything. They also don't need to lure Harry 'to the Dark Arts' as he is already is learning the Dark Arts.

So I doubt a 63 year old man would drop his job, or retirement, just to trick his daughter into getting information on a family that he has no good reason to attack. His priority's are far more likely to be geared at his daughter's education and ensuring that she has a good husband. He is on the final leg of his lifetime, and he already had one child killed fighting leaving his daughter as the last bit of family he has. Who wants to spend their last couple decades alive fighting with that all behind him?

As to Calypso's motivations; marriage is where I see the evidence pointing at the moment. She was fearful of her father hurting Harry when he mentioned "passing judgment on the boy." It was her plan from the start which has her researching his family's history of producing seers, animagi, and chief warlocks. We know those magical talents are her qualifications for being genetically superior. She gets territorial whenever Harry is seen interacting with another female. Burning Hermione's letter, and proposing herself above Kira as a Spell Creation tutor, are examples. Also Harry is the only one who is at or beyond her abilities with magic at her age.

If you can think of a sensible reason why Calypso would want to know how many seers, animagi, and chief warlocks the potter family has had, beyond he has great sperm, let me know.

Santi I have two questions. Isn't Narcissa Calypso's cousin, instead of her aunt? and what exactly is a counter curse?

Not open for further replies.