1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Catman

Catman DA Member

EDIT: NVM I'm an idiot

About the update, there really isn't anything noticable to give advice on. Quality once again.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

Thanks for putting an end to the bickering Santi, with a nice update.

I'll also echo Matian, in that it would be good to see more one on one interaction between Harry and Viktor and Nathan respectively.

Keep up the good work Santi.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Very nice update again! Unlike others I don't feel that the story is moving slowly at all. Perfect pace in my opinion, but perhaps that's just me.

I don't have any constructive criticism this time, heh. Though it would be nice to see a bit more of Harry/Nathan and Harry/Viktor interaction as others said. Kira irks me as always.

Also I'd like to know what Ron/Hermione think of Harry. If I recall, Nathan felt bad about how they had all treated Harry at Hogwarts. Did he tell his friends to be more friendly? Plus there was the confrontation at Hogwarts with Ron, etc. How are they all reacting to that? At least Nathan and Harry seem on good terms though, that's brilliant so far.

4. greywizard-dumblemort

greywizard-dumblemort Fourth Year

Great chapter, nice to have things back on track. I agree with the others about having a bit more interaction between Harry and his brother but generally everything is fine as is.

EDIT.

Viktor laughed. “Well, to be fair, Kira, you did spring the snogging on me rather
    suddenly.”

“Suddenly!” she exclaimed. “You tell me that you're going to be starting for the Bulgarian
    National team and I'm, what? Supposed to just say congratulations and shake your hand? You
    should have expected the snog of your life"

Its not at all a big deal but it seems kind of out of place coming from Victor Krum and Kira whoever she is.
    Usually the term's a permanent fixture in HP fanfiction because of the British setting but they're Bulgarians... in Bulgaria at this point and I sorta feel like this detracts from that a little.

5. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

You know, they aren't actually even speaking in English. The fic is from Harry's point of view, and so everything we read could be considered as Harry's mental translation.

6. cataclysim

cataclysim Second Year

Great Update! I hope that Harry does beat Grindelwald's record. Looking forward to more. You haven't talked about magical power in this fic so i was wondering how you will compare him to other students?

7. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

"down the boy's hallway" - boys'

"managed last throughout" - managed to last

"Harry asked curiously " - punctuation missing

"learn nothing more from me at your time at Durmstrang" - maybe change to "during yor time"

"fairly actuate estimate" - accurate

"our seventh years to comprehend Harry" - missing comma before Harry. Also, maybe change comprehend to "accomplish". After all, Harry comprehends the idea of sensing magic, he just can't duplicate it.

"discern ones own magic" - one's own

"that it use to be tradition" - used, traditional

"Grindelwald search for rare dark knowledge" - searched

"finish a classes early" - class

"seven straight times" - maybe change to "seven times straight"

"reserved for upper students" - upper class students

"interrogate anther student" - another

8. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I'm looking foward to what will be the media reaction to this. If Santi decides to use a OoTP Daily Prophet, we can expect Britain starting a crusade against the Boy-Who-Lived-Evil-Brother. You know, the next Dark Lord, The one who is moar evil than Grindelwald?

9. Catman

Catman DA Member

I'd actually expect the exact opposite. Since Harry's parents haven't disowned him for doing well in the Dark Arts, I wouldn't expect the media to make the correlation of intelligence to evilness. I'd expect local papers of eastern Europe and Germany to say something along the lines of "At last, on of Grindlewalds impacts on Dumstrang has been lifted..." Basically I'd expect it to be received very well. But where's the drama and conflict in that, right?

10. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

This in a way. I'd assume that Eastern Countries who have directly felt Grindelwald's predations would celebrate that yet another one of his legacies has been erased from history. But those in England looking for ways to dirty Nathan and the Potter family would make a big issue out of it, and no doubt Death Eaters will start taking bigger looks at Harry. Also, I fully expect a scene where Draco throws a copy of whatever newspaper reports the deed into Nathan's face, which will set off another issue between Harry and his parents.

11. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DumbIsGood

That is all.

12. Catman

Catman DA Member

DLP, my name is Gregory House.

13. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

Ahh, another great update! Poor Harry heh heh he can't catch a break regarding Viktor/Kira! Maybe he should learn to knock before entering. ;) Though why do I get the feeling that one day Harry will be casting his own doorknob red...

I'm glad to see more Viktor/Kira interaction, though. In the beginning she wasn't developed very well and she seemed more like an antagonistic presence more than anything else, but I'm glad to see you've actually given the two of them an actual relationship that's not just there for the sake of the plot. Good work!

When is Dumby going to reveal (or plan to reveal, since I think he knows he can't keep it secret forever) Quirrelmort's manipulations? Keeping it secret to protect the one you love is one thing, but keeping it for more than half a year is something else...

I eagerly look forward to more!

14. All Hail Half-Bloods

All Hail Half-Bloods First Year

I thoroughly enjoy this story & it looks like there are more quality updates to come. Most people get lazy in decribing settings cuz they figure everyone already can picture Hogwarts themselves...and HP stories that take place anywhere except Hogwarts do a horrible job of describing their setting for the most part. but that is not the case here, you have done a good job in bringing Durmstrang to life. Your characters are also well done, particularly the OC's, Calypso esepcially...I find myself very interested in trying to figure out what she is up to. Mostly because it seems like whatever she is doing will not be simply good or bad, but a shade of grey & that sort of murky area between right and wrong makes for a better story I think...that and I simply enjoy the mystery.

Though I do have to agree with some earlier comments regarding adding some variety to interactions between Harry & other characters...all they ever do is study. It would be nice to see some one on one conversations /interactions where Harry is not talking about schoolwork, stucying or practicing. Also the Durmstrang professors could be fleshed out a bit more as characters, they just don't have the same depth to them as say Dumbledore, Snape or McGonagall for example. Though I do notice you seem to be moving Harry & Professor Kosarev into a pupil/mentor relationship...so that could be interesting. And I am sure Mr. Rosier will be quite an important character, so it looks as if this concern is being addressed

Prior to this Calypso thing, the story had thus far been moving a bit slowly but that too seems to be changing. I suppose I am still not used to the absence of the annual Voldemort plot taking up a big chunk of the schoolyear. But you do such a good job of describing what is going on that the pace of the story becomes a negligable issue at best...and now business seems to be picking up a bit.

Well that's it...I just wanted to say my piece & let you know I truly enjoy this story

15. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The professors at Durmstrang are much more formal than at Hogwarts, so a student (unless it's an older student who is a protege) is unlikely to get to see them as people and consequently we don't get to see them fleshed out.

With Harry's friends conspiring to help him beat Grindelwald's record, all they'll be doing is study. And perhaps snog and duel/fight.

16. Wingthesword

Wingthesword Squib

Do you mean prodigy as in a genius or protege as in an apprentice?

17. gamingguru

gamingguru Fourth Year

I know I'm stretching, but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he meant protege, because you know, that's the word he used.

18. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

There is always so much discussion over this story.
    Anyway, pretty good so far.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  19. hooplah

hooplah Muggle

Another nice couple of scenes. I really like the way in which the relationships with Harry's friends are developing. Recently Krum has really become much more developed.

The scene with Harry listening to the wireless is nice as it shows Harry doing something other than studying however it would be better if there were more people there listening with Harry to show their reaction, maybe Kira?

The projects are coming along nicely and are well thought out. The transfiguration project is an especially original idea.

The introducing the problem of the chamber of secrets seemed a bit rushed. Nathan seems to have gone to Harry for help at a very late stage. Also the time line seems to be a bit off. The final Chamber of Secrets incident happens at the very end of the year as in Canon Harry misses the final exams, so Nathan entering the chamber needs to be after Harry has left school. Hermione was the last victim so shouldn't this be later?

This is a minor problem. This is one of my favourite HP stories. Keep it up.

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I like how your Harry is slowly becoming a star student in Durmstrang. It's only right if he is as much intelligent as we are suppose to believe, that sooner than later his teachers will discover it too and help him develop in a great wizard.

Also, after Calipso mentioned that Nathan is TBWL I started thinking - was there any mention how he survived curse? In canon Dumbledore knew it was Lily's sacrifice, but I don't remember if he had any theory about it in this fic.

Should be - a one in a million talent.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
Not open for further replies.