1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age 2 Announced.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gizmore, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Third Year

From what I've seen, Hawke's just the last name of the main character. You can make it male or female.

Agreeing with wanting to import origins characters. They should at least let The Warden make an appearance.

2. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It would suck if you import your Warden and the Warden is a final boss or something. Because my warden is... well, a bit OP due to several glitches. Besides, which Warden to chose? I have seven.

3. Simplicity

Simplicity Third Year

The one that wont make the game impossible to beat. Unless Hawke's even more OP :p

4. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Actually, EA has helped push out a lot of great games, if not great, then certainly innovative like Mirror's Edge. Remember, Mass Effect 2 was also an EA/Bioware mash-up.

I'm not saying EA doesn't fuck up, because they certainly do, but lately the games they've helped make (or publish or whatever they actually do) have been of great quality. At least, that has been my experience so far.

As for the DA sequel, I'm looking forward to it. This Hawke character gives me the feeling that we might experience the same change to the sequel that occurred between Mass Effect 1 to 2. A change I don't find unwelcome, as I found the combat in DA to be boring. I also don't mind if we don't see any of the characters, although I do hope we'll learn what has happened to them.

But the graphics has to be improved. DA's graphics were unacceptable to me. After all, we know Bioware is capable of creating beautiful environments like in Mass Effect, why not also DA? I have a suspicion that the graphics were lousy because they were focusing more on Mass Effect 2 when they made DA, so hopefully they'll be able to do better this time.

5. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Lately EA seems to have been doing a lot better about fucking around with the software companies.

6. Estarc

Estarc Third Year

That would be sort of awesome actually. Bought Awakening yesterday and ran through on Nightmare mode with my best Warden. Without any glitches, she is so overpowered it is unbelievable. She never died once, rarely even lost more than a tenth of her hit points outside of boss battles. At least if she was the final boss, it'd be a challenge.

7. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

They probably also need to take another look at balancing the classes. As it is, archery was overpowered in DA:O and drastically overpowered in Awakening, especially if you min-maxed and took advantage of how easy it was to auto-crit.

8. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I'm actually playing through DA:O right now, just got done with Mage Tower part. I like it, but after playing graphics on par with ME2, I was let down. So I definitely want better graphics. EDIT: More info spattered across the Game Informer site. Okay, won't let me post links in words. Odd. Also won't space EDIT. Odder still. Here are the links, sorry for format troubles. http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/12/dragon-age-ii-first-screenshots.aspx http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/09/five-facts-about-hawke-in-dragon-age-ii.aspx http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/08/first-dragon-age-2-details-take-flight.aspx http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/08/7718298August_5F00_Cover_5F00_Revealed.aspx

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Personally, I play games for the gameplay, and not the graphics. That is the reason I still play past-gen games. I thought the graphics in the game were above average if i'm honest.

10. Matian

That's a fair point and a good rule of thumb, but when comparing the graphics of DA:O to Mass Effect 2 I can't help but feel ripped off. Bioware was capable of greater graphics, as seen in Mass Effect 2, so why didn't they include those in DA:O?

I admit DA:O made up for the poor graphics by some of its impressive atmospheres (like the dwarven kingdom), but they were still poor at best. Although, it should be noted that i played the Xbox 360 version of the game, which, as I was told after my purchase of the game, had the poorest graphics of all versions of the game.

It borders, if not outright is, anally retentive of me, but graphics are important to me.

11. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I get what you're saying, but keep in mind Mass Effect 2 was a fucking let down gameplay/content wise. The whole game is essentially going around and collecting squad members, in really, really short hallway/corridor type fight scenes, and then doing another short ass fight to make them loyal to you. I seriously am spending more time scanning planets then I am fucking with the crew. The missions/content is a goddamned joke.

DA you have an entire, well fleshed out world that you can get lost in pretty easy, and leaves you wanting to learn more, or visit it again. ME2 is similar, but to a drastically less extent.

12. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

I just wish there was more places to explore in DA:O, it just felt a little boring not to have a whole world to wander round in.

13. Simplicity

Simplicity Third Year

Quoted for truth. DA:O's gameplay and story > Mass Effect's graphics.

14. Matian

My point wasn't that Mass Effect 2 has better gameplay than DA:O, but that I feel ripped off by DA:O's graphics.

My point was that why can't we have it all? Why does a game have good gameplay, good characters, but rotten graphics? Why not make the game great in all departments?

15. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

The idea of building your character over 10 years really appeals to me, though it will depend on how well they explore the possibilities. It could mean really building up friendships and alliances and the political/social ect situation and the characters changing in-game. The graphics are secondary to me, although I was disappointed that Dragon Age seemed not that much better than Oblivion in that way.

Although the articles keep calling Hawke a 'he', I like playing female characters so I will be a little disappointed if that is not an option.

Actually I may just dig out my copy of Dragon Age, haven't played in a while :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  16. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

The default is he, but it has been confirmed that she is an option too.

17. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So every Bioware game ever then. :p

18. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Just like damn near every RPG for the last decade. That's not exactly a Bioware-specific stereotype.

19. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I'm a little rusty, but if you were to play as the God-Child, you'd be you know..a super hero basically. Lots of magical powers and shit and the potential to be a fucking OP mofo.

I'd like the idea of playing the God-Child but not if I was like *snaps fingers and everyone in the room dies*. The idea of having to kind of rise up and become a champion sounds appealing, even though it's been done to death, because I believe in Bioware and I loved the first DA.

20. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

Hawke is not Morrigan's kid. One of the developers already said so. I'll dig up the quote later.

It would be impossible anyways seeing as Hawke was fleeing Lothering when the PC left it.