1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Is anyone else reminded of Monty Python's Killer Rabbit?

Great update Santi. I don't know if it was what you were aiming for, but that last scene only proved to alienate Harry even more from his brother. I mean, does Harry even know his brother is a parselmouth? I don't know if it's just because you haven't written in some scenes, but it seems to me that whenever he leaves for school, Harry goes almost completely out of communications with his family.

2. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

The Transfiguration Project scene works a heck of a lot better this way Santi.

3. cataclysim

cataclysim Second Year

Harry still doen't know about the parseltounge ability of his brother, his reaction to it should be interesting. Seeing the last scene i am guessing the Harry doesn't have his brothers ability. Maybe you can give him something else???

4. The Santi

The Santi Professor

JK never really gave exact dates as to when things happen, so I'm stuck relying on inexact time lines. The HP Lexicon does put the attack around the first week in May, but when I was outlining the story, I used this as the time line, so it's possible my dates are a little off.

It's hinted at, but never really explicitly stated.

Yes, Harry knows his brother is a parseltongue. In my original take on this chapter, there was a massive 2K info dump at the very beginning that basically summed up what happened over Christmas. Ultimately, I took some advice to spread the information around in the chapter, and I think its made the chapter a lot better. The last part of the chapter will touch on the parseltongue thing.

As far as staying in contact with his family, specifically his parents, that's just something that happens 'off-camera.' I could write a lot more letters back home (and there will be more during Harry's 3rd year), but I'm trying to push through years 2 and 3 to get to the tri-wizard, and some stuff just doesn't make the cut.

And a fist bump goes out to you and Cheddar for helping with it

5. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Parseltongue is the language; Nathan is a Parselmouth.

6. Hoshiakari

Hoshiakari Second Year

I think you wanted to write Gringotts Prague, not Gringotts Prauge.

I really liked this update and I will eagerly wait to see if Harry will beat Grindelwald´s record.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I'm glad to hear that. I have feeling that once this story will get to Triwizard Tournament in will elevate to that next level of awesomeness. :)

For what? Harry doesn't need any special abilities to be special. And if any then him being Animagi would be enough.

8. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

"into an open desk door" - what's a desk door? A drawer? A cabinet door?

"has so far shown to be of no real talent." - "has so far not shown any real talent" sounds more natural to me

"if you would help instead of just pointed out things" - tenses. change to "pointing out".

"Gringotts Prauge" - it's "Prague". First time.

"because of the heavy beating on Germany" - betting

"I do hope the Bulgarian's aren't ruining" - Bulgarians

"throwing him to the wolves to early" - too

"and the German's are countering" - Germans

"Gringotts Prauge" - it's "Prague". Second time.

"Gringotts Prauge" - Third time.

"He would transfigure" - the "t" is black

"animmobolus" - space missing

"theImmobolus" - space missing

"on the 12th of May.." - remove one full stop

Hoshiakari mentioned Prague, but I just post the notes I take as I read.

9. Goonie

Goonie Squib

no, it was correct the first time

edit: wow, i looked at the first 'to' and immediately thought that was the one you meant. Bashing welcome on that one.

But just to be clear to the author, he meant the second 'to.'

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  10. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

How do they know Nathan's a Parselmouth? I always got the impression Dumbledore hushed it up, because they didn't find out until fourth year when Skeeter revealed it. BTW what does Nathan's parents think of him being a Parselmouth? ~

11. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

How does who know? Lucius knows from Draco. The media in Canon could have always known but they just sat on it until they had a narrative that fit the information.

12. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

Fudge acted like he had just found it out. Why wouldn't the media have told him?

13. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Do we know that there wasn't any mention of it in canon until 4th year? It seems to me that Harry/Nathan is still the public and ministries little angel at this point (remember how Fudge was in book 3?), so even if there was something like this out in the open very few people would actually care. The stuff in 4th year was just Rita putting her own rather interesting spin on a lot of old facts and bringing up other issues that when put together painted a bad picture.

Edit:
    Hmm, good point I had forgotten about that.

14. Necrule Paen

Why would the media have told Fudge? Just because he is the Minister does not mean they have to tell him about every juicy bit of celebrity gossip.

15. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

Or maybe he just thought it was rumor. Never mind. I guess I was wrong.

16. Wingthesword

Wingthesword Squib

So Calypso is spying on him for her dad, well his brother.

The thing is I thought she was researching his family so when she could ask her father permission marry or court Harry.

17. Necrule Paen

I got the impression that Calypso and her dad don't have the same interests. Mr. Rosier wants to know about Nathan while Calypso wants her dad to be interested in Harry.

It is probably one of the reasons why she wanted Harry to go for the record.

18. cataclysim

cataclysim Second Year

This story is advancing really great. I have read JBern's 'The Lie I have Lived' and would like to ask if you would be following canon GOF because frankly that's shit and should have been alot harder, i am hoping that you will be modifying GOF. Will see how it turns out.

19. All Hail Half-Bloods

All Hail Half-Bloods First Year

The question is why, ignoring the question of Mr. Rosier's unknown loyalties & also whether or not he even suspects Voldemort isn't fully gone. The knee jerk reaction to any scenario involving Potters & Death Eaters is to think it has something to do with Voldemort. Or is it something else? Truth be told, the situation is still so vague it could be anything...which is probably what makes this puzzle so interesting. The one thing that at least seems to be evident is the differing opinions on which Potter is more important. Calypso's drive to make Harry reach greatness seems to be so she can convince her father that Harry is more important. And given her focus, it would seem like she has some personal motivation for it. Whatever the reason I look forward to continuing the mystery.

And I know it was written into the story just to get the idea in our heads (and in that case you have succeeded), but I do wonder if Calypso was the one who cursed Harry as a means to create a situation where she could insert herself into his life.

As to Harry's quest to make Durmstrang history, I can totally understand the professors being so supportive...they are clearly jumping at the chance to have someone not named Grindelwald be the most promising student to pass through the school, maybe they think that through Harry they can cleanse the school of the reputation it gets from being linked to Grindlewald...if only a little bit.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  20. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

Maybe Calypso asked an older student to cast the curse: Didn't they say it was really advanced? Or did they not mention it anywhere?

Not open for further replies.