1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

I highly doubt some older student would oblige Calypso. Besides, she's probably good enough on her own to cast it if she cast it in the first place.

2. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

I don't think Calypso was the one that attacked Harry that day in the library during his first year. You're reading too much into this.

She's probably going to rebel against her father, and of course Harry will help her, using money he made up from betting at Krum's quidditch matches.

3. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I hope it's not quite like that, because if Harry tries to go toe-to-toe financially with one of the most well-connected families in Europe using his pocket money, then he's done.

But I do like the overall sentiment.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

This.

His family's alive - therfore no claiming the Potter/Gryffindor/Merlin/Jenkins vaults + emancipated minor nonsense this time around :3

5. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

lol at Harry and Calypso playing Dr. Mengele. Good shit.

6. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

That was a cheapshot at the cliche Fifth Year Quidditch story lines. Loved it.

7. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

More like Jaenich than Mengele. Either way they should be grateful there isnt a known Wizarding PETA group.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  8. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

What's a "Fifth Year Quidditch story line"?

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Don't worry, once Hermione will read about this experiment in Transfiguration Today, she will create one.

10. X Kronos X8

X Kronos X8 Fifth Year

I personally loved the chapter. Though from the Animagus part, and now this monstrosity, you could very well have a beast lord Harry, if he figures out how to control them. :p j/k

11. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Cliche storyline, very common. In fifth year Harry Potter becomes a Quidditch star (official). Some fics make him a star even sooner (Knowledge is Power). The theory is that it negates the effects of Umbridge and the bad press. There is also the 6th year Harry Potter Quidditch star too. Personally I can't decide which is worse.

12. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I actually took that line as a bit of clever foreshadowing that Nathan would be as good as or better than canon!Harry at Quidditch, and thus arguably good enough to enter the league at 15 in an attempt to match his idol. And then Harry would bet on Nathan and make more money.

Assuming that Nathan is endowed with Quidditch powers in the realm of canon!Harry.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  13. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

How the hell did that happen?

14. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That seems like it wouldn't really impact on the plot at all and just isn't needed.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

No reason not to have Nathan at the same level as Canon!Harry in Quidditch. It'd feel weird if he wasn't. But since Harry never started League play at 15 or anything again, no reason for Nathan to do so. As Seratin said it doesn't seem needed. But he can still kickass.

Heck, you could form it so that Harry and Nathan both have the natural skill, but Harry just doesn't care, doesn't fly much, and doesn't hone the skill while Nathan does.

On that note -- have we seen Harry fly at all in this story? It stands to reason that he's flown a good bit as a child, given that James is alive.

16. Catman

Catman DA Member

Well in the first chapter, Harry was trying to convince his mom to teach him magic by bringing up how Sirius was trying to get them to fly more with new brooms. And when Nathan and Harry got into a fight once Harry brought up that Nathan spends all his time losing to James when playing Quiditch, while Harry spends all his time studying. So it would make sense that Nathan would be significantly better than Canon!Harry, if we assume same amount of Natural skill, plus the years of practice with James.

On the note of QuiditchStar!Nathan, there really doesn't seem to be any reason to put it in the story, certainly nothing at this point.

17. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Santi has already made the distinction in story (followed by a fairly detailed argument out of it) that Krum's natural talent is supported by an insane regimen of training - something that neither Canon!Harry nor this story's Nathan have done. Harry commented about the vast distinction between Krum's and Nathan's attitudes toward the sport.

In conclusion, I do not expect to see Nathan playing league Quidditch anytime during the Hogwarts years. Maybe something will change, but Santi has done a good job of explaining why Krum's playing at this age is such a one-off thing.

18. Errant

Errant First Year

I’m curious to see Dumbledore’s reaction to Harry, a former Hogwarts student, challenging Grindelwald’s academic marks and expanding on the knowledge of Transfiguration. We’ve already seen Albus disparage Harry’s character in front of his brother.

19. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Especially given his history with Grindewald. Thinking more about repercussion of Harry's achievements, I'd also love to see two scenes:
    1) Reactions of Hogwarts teachers when they will heard about success Harry's success at Durmstrang. Filius already realized what genius they've let away, but rest of them not so much.
    2) Definitely not now, but maybe in middle of 4th year when Harry will be much more knowledgeable about Transfiguration and maybe at Hogwarts, show his discussion about this topic with Albus. You know, meeting of two prodigies and most people around them trying to understand at least fraction of what they are talking about.

20. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I bet Albus wants to tap that.

You know, as a source of knowledge and highly-gifted potential.

Not open for further replies.