1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

For writers - Scrivener

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rym, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Rym

Rym Auror

Anyone else using this program? I just downloaded it yesterday (30-day free trial) and it's incredible.

It's basically a word processing program that's designed specifically for writers. It has tons of features including a corkboard, outliner, the ability to take "snapshots" of your work that you can go back to if you like previous edits better, the ability to organize an entire story in one place (and break it down into chapters and their respective scenes - giving you the ability to move scenes and chapters around easily), and a lot of other really useful stuff. It's also capable of exporting entire stories into various formats, including PDF and word.

Anyway, here's a 13 minute video that demonstrates some of the more useful features of the program: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/videos/ScrivenerIntro.mov

It's also completely safe - for those concerned about their original works.

EDIT: Wasn't exactly sure where this topic fell, so apologies if FanFic Discussion isn't the proper place for it.

2. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've used programs like this before - mainly for scriptwriting in the past - and have just never really gotten the hang of them. Probably because I do most of my writing first by hand and then move it over to the computer, but when I do try to write with a program like this somehow things get too complicated, even though technically a program like this should (and logistically probably does) simplify.

All in all, it looks like a useful program, but I'll stick to my pen and pad of paper.

3. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  4. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's a whole bunch of these. From PageFour to CopyWrite to LiquidStoryBinder. The problem with all of them is that they're no where near as good as actually having these things physically present and often the price of a 'corkboard', pins, pens, paper and index cards is less than the software.

The only useful things that I can really see are the snapshots and if you're working on anything valuable like a novel, you should be backing your work up regularly anyway.

Personally, I find WriteMonkey or Q10 (Which is portable for those of you who like those kind of things) for PC, WriteRoom for Mac or JDarkRoom for Linux are pretty much the only useful writing software.

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yeah, I tried programs like that too, and it doesn't work for me either. I make notes on paper, and arrange most scenes in my head, so using any kind of software for either actually makes me slower, not faster.

I found that I really need nothing more than a good word processing program -- and that's a job Word does just fine.

6. Rym

Rym Auror

Yeah, Scrivener is supposed to be on par with, if not more useful, than WriteRoom, according to review websites. I wouldn't know from experience - this is the first program of the sort that I've used.

I don't do anything by hand (yet, at least) - so for fanfic writing it's pretty much everything I would ever need. Though once the free trial dies, not sure I'd spend $40 on it. We'll see I guess.

7. enembee

High Score:
    Scrivener and WriteRoom represent two completely opposing ideas. Scrivener gives you a whole bunch of tools, WriteRoom gives you an empty screen and allows you to type on it.

8. Rym

Rym Auror

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/videos/Writing%20Environment.mov

EDIT: Yeah, Scrivener has a customizable, full screen mode as well. (halfway through the video it shows it)

9. enembee

High Score:
    Either way, it's still just one tool of many in Scrivener's toolbox. I don't use Mac but WriteMonkey for the PC is still the greatest writing platform I've yet to experience. It just works exactly how it ought to.

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Meh. This is for Mac. :< MACFAGS!

On topic: I really like yWriter. Its pretty pimp.. Pretty simple but very useful... AND Best of all. Free.

[yt]Ti5HNVVIV1w[/yt]​

Link

11. IdSayWhyNot

Vash, I only like you because of your avatar. Now go fap to your Windouche XP.

:awesome

12. Antivash

Windows Seven, Faggot. Get with the tim.. orite...Macfags is just a new flavor of Social Media Fag. D:

Also, I'm cool and unique. I use Linux!!

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I use UltraEdit32 for virtually everything.

If I actually need bold/italic/underline... I'll still write it in UE32, add notations that indicate where the bold text, or whatever, should go, then transfer it over to something like Open Office to make the changes.

I just prefer writing in plain text.

Plus some of its functions seem better than the competition; find/replace (in files), search, etc.

14. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I've had the full version of Scrivener for about one and a half or two years now (since about the time Escape updates were as frequent as they ever got, for those who do the math :p). I think I got it illegally somehow, I used to do that a lot. I found it mostly useless for fanfiction - many others have mentioned a word processor being the most useful tool, which I agree with - but for original fiction, it had a hell of a lot more uses. Instead of half a dozen documents tracking a magic system, main and supporting characters, and the political heirarchy of the capital city, I used a single Scrivener document. Was fun and neato to play around with, for sure.

Still, to quote Han Solo in reverse, a good Scrivener at your side is no match for hokey Word processors and ancient pen and paper.

15. IdSayWhyNot

Oh, yeah? Yeah!? Well, then you...you are...

You like this!

Yeah, I'm unique too, coz I use Windows and defend Mac. But I wouldn't know about the cool part...

16. Antivash

That's cold, bro... That's cold.

How are you not ashamed of your existence?

17. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I personally use OpenOffice.org: I find it both very user-friendly and pretty useful, although I do only use the 'Writer' program, and none of the others.

18. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thanks for letting me know about yWriter, it's a fantastic program. It helps organize things immensely and it's pretty damn simple to use. It's really nice not to have my notes scattered throughout a Word page or in a bunch of different files.

19. LuckyFelix

LuckyFelix Seventh Year

Hey, just thought I'd make a note of something I found out recently. It may be old news, I don't know.

Anyway, apparently Scrivener is coming to Windows.

Scrivener for Windows - BETA

Right now it's still in beta, but a public beta so you can go download it if you want. The full version is supposed to be released early 2011 and will have the features of Scrivener 1.0 and maybe a few things here and there from Scrivener 2.0.

So, for those of you who don't have Macs and had wanted to give Scrivener a go, you might want to try this.

I've only used it a little bit so far.

I like the ability to split the screen, especially during editing so that I can work on one side and use the other to look back at other chapters or various notes or whatever. It's a brilliant feature.

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Going to bump this because I was just looking at this software on a different computer.

I've avoided Scrivener so far because (1) it costs money and (2) it looks like one of those things that has a lot of features that wouldn't really help.

But playing around with it a bit I'm tempted to try it. I currently use yWriter which I like a lot for drafting. Very easy to keep everything in one file, the files have a small footprint for backing them up, and so on.

Great drafting tool. But I wonder if Scrivener is better for some reason? I don't care about the "looks" so much as functionality.

Oh, and the real reason I came looking for this thread -- how big are the Scrivener files? In general, and for a large story with lots of research/whatnot included? I use SpiderOak for my primary backups and I'd rather not fill up my 6GB limit saving gigantic Scrivener files.

Anyway

Scrivener
    Free Trial-- Download Scrivener and try it for yourself. The trial runs for 30 days of actual use: if you use it every day it lasts 30 days; if you use it only two days a week, it lasts fifteen weeks. Once the trial expires, you can export all of your work or buy a licence to continue using Scrivener.

yWriter is completely free and can be found here. What does Scrivener do that yWriter can't? I do find it damn useful for organizing all the information related to a story, but yWriter isn't the best visual for typing (which is fine, given that it's not meant to be, but yeah).
    I always export to Word for the final draft of anything. Whatever else Word may be it's a pretty good word processor. And I am really liking Word 2013 -- I can't pinpoint why, but I feel like it's head and shoulders better than 03, 07, 10.