1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Alien Swarm

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by kevo125, Jul 20, 2010.

1. kevo125

kevo125 Second Year

New Free game from Valve on Steam
    About the Game

Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community.
    Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet's surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.
    Along with the game get the complete code base for Alien Swarm that features updates to the Source engine as well as the SDK. Alien Swarm adds 3rd person camera, depth of field, improved dynamic shadows and a wide variety of gameplay additions to the Source engine.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

Trying it out now. I'll report back on how it is

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been playing it since it released, and it's pretty damn fun.

I got to the last level in the first campaign and my game crashed. So annoying. That was an issue on my part, though.

I've mostly been medic, healing those tools who get infected.

3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Hmm, I'll have to check it out. If it is what I think it is, then I played it years ago when it was an Unreal Tournament mod.

4. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I'll nab this during offpeak tonight. Looks interesting.

5. kevo125

kevo125 Second Year

Been playing for about 3 hours now and this is really fun :D

Ive only had one minor glitch where i was stuck between some rocks but it fixed itself.

Ive been mostly special weapons although i do like the officer's vindicator.

Add me on steam so we can play together. My account name is Mistah25K. I also play TF2 but i dont really focus on friends or the chat in that game

I cant wait till people make more maps. Or Valve makes more campaigns

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

It is and I did.

Of course, it looks significantly better now. My connection is better now too, but I doubt it's 'better enough' to play online.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

8. Midknight

Played it, hard to me. Friendly fire being on is a bitch in the practice mode. The controls seem shit to me, very confusing, very hard to see what the hell is going on.

9. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

So totally this.

That said, the few times I've played have been pretty fun. Even if I was probably the reason for half the damage done to us during our game. LOL

A few things they could do to make it better: Camera angle is wtfgay; TF2-style would really work for this game. Friendly Fire should be an option, voted on or off by the players. Needs more ammo, for those of us who spam the special weapons machine gun*. :awesome

*Last one was a joke...that's probably the point of the game: use what you've got to not get raped by weird face-sucking aliens.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  10. Midknight

You can actually change to 1st person pov with a console command, I wouldn't think it would help, as you'd loose the ability to see your sides, which might actually make it more frantic.

You can also change the angle of the camera, but not the zoom. Want to play it more to learn it.

The game needs a fucking manual, the hacking minigame on the first level, the second one, took me forever to get through it. The elevator was insaaaaaaaaaaaannnne

11. GrandHighPoobah

GrandHighPoobah Third Year

It gets better. Wait until you actually get to the little fuckers who infect you. You have to waste tons of medkits trying to heal them off you, so you'd better have at least 2 medics. Of course, I was only playing with two other people, so maybe it'd be easier with four people.

12. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Or...You don't fail at life and kill the lil fuckers before they jump you. Have an officer with a vindicator stand in front and blast the fuckers. And if you see one within 20 feet of you, take a step back and fire. They die in one hit.

The game is fairly fun, but after a while you realize it's basically the exact same mission about 30 times, just with varying levels of difficulty. That was how I experienced it at least.

13. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The game is actually pretty fuckin fun, in my opinion... Needs a linux server though, so we can set up a DLP server...D:

14. Midknight

How the fuck do you join other servers? I picked Play online, tried to play with several friends who were on, got told the slots were full, okay, went to public servers.

Selected one of the ones on the list, clicked join, then nothing ever happened. Stayed on connecting forever, then it just took me to a lobby where I was the host. Game needs more UI stuff, once I got there I had to escape to main menu instead of just going back to the server list. Annoying.

15. GrandHighPoobah

GrandHighPoobah Third Year

Yeah, I realized that the flamer pretty much handled them once we grew brains and figured that out. As far as the level design goes, I have high hopes that people are going to mod the shit out of this game.

16. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No Fuckin Clue. I just joined the games Mindless and Zombie had going. >_> But I've been looking at the server shit for it... Kind of nifty.. While lacking linux support currently, looks like you can limit it to your steam group with just the group ID, rather than everyone's steam ID...

17. Midknight

Way better when playing with friends, the AI is mindnumbing on the practice runs.

Every console command for this game

18. kevo125

kevo125 Second Year

Some of those look interesting like changing how many aliens spawn and others are just like wat? I didnt even know the characters conversed.

Oh god the hacking games. I hate them. At first I was jus pressing random stuff until my team told me what to do. And now i dont even try to beat the time thing. But yeah it does need a manual at least in the beginning.

I dont get how joining games works in this game. Ive only found a lobby with someone else in it once. I just play with friends. Or i join one of the add-on maps

This guy on the steam forums made a site to post mods and maps so that they are all in one convenient place. Theres like maybe 3 at the moment though and the only i would suggest is the officebeta one. Its really detailed although has some bugs and is fun if you can get some people together:
    http://swarmarmory.com/

19. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
  20. Ksai

Ksai Third Year

if you are suffering from friendly fire - just take Tesla gun. It will never hurt your team mates. It has also the biggest ammo capacity.

PS Cant find a good enough team to beat the last map on insane lvl:(