1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy XIII

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Averis, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, whatever. I liked it. I thought the characters were very interesting, and even the annoying ones became more interesting later on. The villains were a bit one-dimensional, and the story was only okay, but in general I liked it. I found the battle system (once I figured it out) to actually to be pretty good - now other RPGs seem a lot less efficient to me.

2. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Pretty much this for me, in the end.

But if this is considered the only RPG disappointment of the year instead of anything else (Dragon Quest 9 or Golden Sun DS), I'll very much soldier on.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

On disc 2... 10 hours in... with a ton of leaving it running while I got sidetracked. What the hell. I've done nothing but watch angsty bullshit fmvs, and got into a hundred fights or so, not even enough bosses. No real end disc boss either. I am disappoint.

4. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I can't believe they put out a Final Fantasy that I hated more than 12. Now, when I look back at it, at least 12 had a decent world to explore with some interesting side characters. My biggest complaint with 12 was that the overall plot had nothing to do with the main playable character (Vaan), instead being focused on Ashe and her quest to reclaim power.

The best part of 13 was Gran Pulse, and that was only because you were actually allowed to move around in all direction and not required to walk in a straight line. Cocoon was a waste of time. The entire game was basically traveling to the next cut scene.

I think the fact that you couldn't explore villages or wander a world map really took away from the game. Yahtzee covers most of my thoughts on this game. Too bad, I had high hopes for this game. Guess I'll have to wait for 15 (because 14 is a fucking MMORPG)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  5. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Well at least 15 should come out within a decent amount of time since 14 is being done by the FF11 team and Versus 13 is being done by the Kingdom Hearts team.

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

7. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

I had to lol at that. Pretty accurate on all accounts and I didn't get through Cocoon simply because it was so boring. It's supposed to get better around Gran Pulse but I can't be fucked to even touch the game anymore.

8. Midknight

I played it a bit more, a long fucking way in between ability unlocks to make the characters more interesting. Some of the harder fights I'm juggling like fuck between paradigms. Annoying x 10. I don't like fighting with 2 characters. I really don't like that when one of the characters is buffing as a synergist, he's fucking useless for attacking. At least make the bastard heal you or something. Synergist and sabetour should of been combined into one.

I'm tired of moving in a straight line, I don't give a shit how awesome the characters look fighting every fucking 10 steps.

And the next one's a MMORPG?! Aw fuck. 11 was horrible to the point where I cbf to buy it for myself, FF doesn't lend itself to mmorpg style play at all. It's bad enough in this one I don't give a shit about, and activley dislike the characters.

Enchanted Arms was similar, horrible controls, bad characters, and the one straight "gay" guy was so painful to have on screen I ripped the disc out of the xbox after only a few hours. And Star Ocean the last hope... fucking hell. Imagine Hope at the protaganist, only he's super emo after blowing up the planet in an alternate reality, and a fucking useless angsty crybaby. Oh wait they just copy/pasted and left out the world blowing up part.

http://www.playfire.com/a/forum/final-fantasy-xiii/thread/70819
    Towns. They take too long. Time better spent animating a black afro guy with a chocobo in his head, traveling with an underaged girl dressed up slutty as fuck who makes sex noises everytime she moves. Must give fap... uh... cosplay material.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  9. Midknight

That fucking review is dead, DEAD on target.

10. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

All the things I've read on it were the Japanese guys in charge being gigantic cocks.

"We did it this way. Because fuck you. And we did it the traditional Japanese way, and are not going to change it for anyone."

Red Dead Redemption was a fanfuckintastic game. Story driven? Check. Awesome characters? Check. Fun fight system? Check. Orgasm inspiring graphics? Nope. People are a lot more willing to overlook the sub-par visuals when they have actual substance in their gameplay and story.

I just couldn't get passed the whole, it's my fault, it's your fault, it's everyone else's fault other than mine bullshit that happened every cut-scene. Which happen every 30 minutes for 5-10 minutes. And the fact that the combat system didn't have any sort of variety. Every person has the same abilities and does the exact same move. Fuck that. Give me something to change it up. A limit break, an overdrive, something.

11. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

The graphics and storyline seemed amazing at first, but once you realized that every fucking encounter was a joke once you realized which paradigms to toggle between and how to time them, it became a joke. 30 hours in, I can honestly say that the only challenging part of this game seems to be learning the timing and makeup for a particular boss or group of enemies.

The mission stones were interesting, but moreso because it was the one deviation of the linear playing path than because it was fun or amusing. The only reason I'm even bothering to finish the game is because it is like a movie, and I really don't feel like walking out on the last 45 minutes. That said, if it starts going downhill again, I'll just read a Gamefaq or something and never bother.

If you haven't started it, don't. If you want an awesome story game with kickass graphics, go play Heavy Rain. If you want a Epic game, go grab Red Dead Redemption. If you want to waste $50 and 40 hours of time, this is a decent investment. Between the micromanagement required (good god, sometimes the AI acts like a fucking retard on Prozac) to get what you want actually done, and the sheer timesink needed to get to the decent part of the game (oh don't worry, after 15 hours it starts to get interesting... FAIL), unless you are a Final Fantasy whore, skip this game.

Honestly? I'd rather have spent the time and money repurchasing and replaying FFVII or FFVIII and pretending that it had purdy graphics.

12. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

I am amazed that you managed to last 30 hours with this game.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  13. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Picked up XIII at gamestop used, and glad I did. At least I know I didn't give a cent to square for this pile of shit.

9 hours, 18 minutes in. Every single one of them has been PAIN. Seriously, people tell me the game gets good after 10 hours in. I don't find it hard to believe, anything is better than this linear, annoying POS. Seriously, the only good thing is the battle system, but even that is only half done right. The team setup is pretty good, and I would be annoyed that I can only control one character, but when you get to boss fights you better be glad that's the case. Normal confrontations are hilariously easy, but boss fights go so fucking fast and are so frantic that I can't help but wonder if I'm playing a completely different game sometimes!

In short-I hate this fucking shit, I'm beating it, then lighting it on fire. I refuse to let my $50 be wasted.

Also the last FF game I played was FFVIII (for good reason), and everytime I even start this POS I can't help but think "Go back to the FFVIII battle system!". Seriously, when a ten year REGRESSION is better than the game additions, somethings wrong. This game brought back everything I hate about jrpgs.

EDIT: Anyone else wonder what the hell is up with fashion in FFXIII? I mean really, besides for our main characters, EVERY SINGLE WOMAN/GIRL (seriously japan, stop it with the preteen girls!) wears two piece spandex tops that cover almost nothing, and *tiny* bottoms that are just asking for a camel toe moment. They look like whores & whores in training! Every single damn one of them. It's amazing, they had to spend millions on this CGI shit, and they couldn't change up the background people's clothes to give some variety and non-whorish-ness?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I revise my much earlier statement. The only good thing about this game is the battle music. Every other part of it sucks and I've given up on ever attempting to finish it again. Hello pawn shop.

15. azrael

azrael Professor

Got this through Gamefly the other day, and I have to agree with the earlier posters, there are a lot of problems. Despite this, I managed to power through to Ch. 11 by pretending it was an action/adventure instead of a jrpg. Surprisingly, I'm only now giving up on it, right when it's getting to the part that is supposedly better, because now that I finally do reach a more open-ended part of the game it becomes all about endless CP farming. The characters also remain annoying. I've already invested 30+ hours in this game, and it seems like I'm just now getting started-it doesn't seem worth it to put in enough time to finish it when I can just give it back to Gamefly and get a different game, like FFX.

16. Midknight

[​IMG]

I want to finish this game, really I do, but it's getting on my nerves bad. I farmed Hopes apt for a few hours and leveled up everyone's weapons quite a bit, but now every enemy I come across has more hitpoints then god.

The angst is beyond belief now. I never thought I'd see a video game pulling your leg with suicide, that whole bit was fucking stupid with Sazh and his son. I play RPGs for story, for awesome tactical fights.

I don't play them to watch a fucking movie at the end of every corridor.

I want to finish this because I try to finish every Square RPG. I gave up on Star Ocean The Last Hope because of the same shit, angst every step, the main character crying in every fmv, long tedious crap. I do get a kick out of how their offshoot RPGs are testing grounds for FF games. The paradigm juggling is ripped off from Magna Carta 2, the visuals are similar to Last Remnant FMVs, etc.

I don't understand how they can let everyone be every class though, it makes no sense. Especially when they all do the exact same attacks. Boring. I may give it some more time this weekend, but if it doesnt pick up, gamefly is taking this back and giving me something interesting.

17. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

Midknight? Did you like Star Ocean: The Second Story for the PS1? That game was :awesome.

As for FF, wasn't a fan of 10 really. Hated 12. Didn't play 11 or 13 yet. 13, whether you like it depends on whether you like the format is what I've heard. Considering how much they've worked on 14, I'm willing to least give it a shot and see what they come up with for a online game. I'm willing to overlook 11 considering it did come out all those years ago on the PS2.

18. Midknight

19. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

I got to the point where you return to Cocoon before I gave up, I've tried to go back to it, I really have, but I just don't have the willpower.

20. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

The Second Story is the only game in the series that's really good, for my dollar. Till the End of Time was alright, but then Plot Twist of Doom.