1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The Potters and Dumbledore kept the Quirrel thing from the protagonist.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Denarian Renegade: The one Denarian fic in which the discussion wasn't removed from story chapter: 1060 replies.

Denarian Knight - discussion removed from story chapters: 1914 replies.

Denarian Lord - discussion removed from story chapters: 2049 replies.

Yeah guys, obviously having the discussion removed from the story chapters makes people stop posting.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well.

I didn't post anything for any Denarian story either >_>

What I was going to do, once my story threads became larger, is include links to the prior posts with story content on top of the update. You have to create the list once, and then simply always add the last post to it; that way you're building an easy index for the story.

4. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

I didn't really get the impression that rosier wanted harry to learn occlumency in order to impart some big secret. I can't imagine Rosier having any real reason to trust Harry with anything important. I got the impression the reveal is actually relatively minor and he is just using this as an excuse to get harry to learn the skill.

What I can't figure out is why. My working theory is something to do with the mechanics for learning/using occlumency, perhaps it increases distrust. I mean I can't imagine walking around always focused on defending your mind, thats got to change your outlook on those around you.

5. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Maybe Rosier is trying to alienate Harry from his family even more. Of course that assumes that Rosier knows that Dumbledore/Snape/Lily? will notice and suspect Harry for it. I doubt Harry would willingly discuss his motivation for learning occlumency to his parents or brother, much less Dumbledore.

Then again, the whole scenario is a stretch and relies on a couple potentially false assumptions. I'll just wait until Santi writes it.

6. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

I don't think so. One can imagine plenty of worthwhile secrets that a person of Harry's parentage, skill and connection to the BWL would necessitate. Could be Rosier wants a mole in the OOTP, wants to recruit Harry as a blood supremacist, wants to defect himself, anything really. They represent two opposing factions with a commonality (Calypso.)

If it were just a matter of trying to teach the skill, there wouldn't be any need for the subterfuge. Hell, if Calypso just mentioned the field of study, Harry would probably jump all over it, just for the challenge.

7. claypigeon

claypigeon First Year

It's possible that learning Occlumency is simply a test of Harry himself and also to deal with anyone at Durmstrang that has the talent to see into his mind. The story has implied that Calypso has the ability so it's not that far of to assume that many of his peers can also probe his mind. I would believe the chances of his classmates having said ability rising as he advances in grades given his school's approach to advancement for it's students.

Another idea could be that Calypso's father is simply planning ahead and making sure that if their friendship continues that Potter can withhold any valued secrets that he learns from prying minds. I get the impression that Calypso truly does value Harry as a friend . Even if nothing develops further than friendship the simple truth is that he will learn things about their family that probably isn't meant for everyone.

8. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I think it's simpler than everyone keeps talking about. Harry goes home a few times a year. Harry's parents are supposedly good friends of Albus Dumbledore. Remembering that Harry goes to a school with a dark reputation, perhaps Dumbledore, while visiting the Potters over the summer, may decide to go into Harry's mind and see how his school year was.

But I sort of hate the 'Occlumency' story arc as a whole by now. It was convoluted even in canon, and almost every usage since then has been magnifying it's skills and abilities(Find inner peace in an hour! Kill people conscience-free!), but I hope that the Occlumency used here will be closer to canon than most are. If such an 'obscure' branch of magic can help people be so amazingly good at something, it wouldn't be obscure.

I hope that, after Harry spends most of the next year at Durmstrang learning Occlumency, Calypso reveals her big secret being that she is a time travelling dinosaur under glamour.

9. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Ok - I lol'd at that XD

10. wolve

wolve First Year

I think you're onto something. The secret shouldn't be anything predictable, and hopefully it's anticlimatic.

I enjoy writing that doesn't make a huge production out of everything, especially killing Snape is one thing that gets always blown out of proportions, the best way to kill him is as a side note, maybe one of the numerous random DE's who got reductoed to his balls.

11. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

It cant be too anticlimatic. It seems like Calypso is trying to restore her friendship with Harry, so it has to be the reason why she is researching his family. Anything else and Harry will just be going WTF.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

You guys are being little nitpicky bitches. In a world where people can look at your memories just by looking in your eyes, there's a reason people learn Occlumency. Unless the entire idea of Legilimency is taken out by the author, Occlumency is needed for people (who are close with Dumbledore, Snape, Voldemort, etc etc) to keep their secrets. It's cliched for a reason. You guys would scream, "PLOT HOLE!! PLOT HOLEEEEE!" if he didn't learn Occlumency, and if he does you yell, "CLICHED AND OVERUSED PLOT DEVICE! GAY!"

:|

13. Nim

Nim Second Year

Nanosaur! That's one thing I've never seen crossed-over with HP.

14. Worlord

Worlord Squib

maybe it is one of those times that occlumency allows you to remember all of your memories including your earliest ones, say the night of october 31st, and rosier will then be able via leglimency to view that memory.

15. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Like hell. The 'have all of your memories in boxes in your mind' is one of the stupidest fanon creations ever.

Also, the entire point of Occlumency is that people can't use Legilimency on you.

16. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

I personally hate this notion of Occlumency and Legilmency. The way I see it, canon wise, the whole thing is kind of like a martial art, and practicing martial art doesn't give you any kind of superpower. Basically you're training yourself to block or redirect incoming attacks, not using a mnemonic structure to better recall facts. The fact that you apparently have to know occlumency to learn leglimency furthers this idea, you find an instructor of an actual martial arts school who doesn't start you off with defense and I'll eat my foot. It's possible Occlumency would eventually allow you to build a mnemonic fortress, but that would only be because you are used to using your mind unconventionally. Simillar to how gymnasts and dancers eventually gain more fluid movement than the average person.

Also the thing about mnemonic devices, is that their basically only useful when trying to remember specific intangible things, as you learn them, I.E. PEMDAS for math.

Potter Electrocuted Mione Dearly and Swiftly, Parenthesis Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction.

Ohel=Tent in Hebrew, thusly "Oh hell, there's a tiger in my tent."

Mnemonics are about remembering things by making connections to other things. Not about remembering things LONG LONG past.

So the whole using mnemonic shrines to organize your memories would take a LONG time and only work with memories after you learned the technique.

I think I'm done. Just a rant because, when I see the common fanfic version of Occulmency, it pisses me off.:awesome

17. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I actually liked the first version more.

In this version Harry makes two discoveries, which is kinda overkill. Perhaps you should remove the part about the new magical connection.

18. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'm confused. Is the important discovery that "living organisms can somehow maintain a connection with their body parts even after a switching spell is used" or is it that a failed enchantment can be used to impart living characteristics to a non-living object such that a switching spell can be used?

Edit: Didn't see Random Shinobi's post. Ah well. >.>

19. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

St. Kristoff Kringle guy's, just let him write. Though I agree that it is kind of overkill, it's actually better written than allot of other things I've seen. If you're happy with it, keep it Santi, no need to please everyone.

20. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Way to miss the purpose of the WbA, new guy.

Silverlasso has it right. I prefer the first version as well. The way I see it, you took the old scene and added an unnecessary and clunky infodump to it. That makes it worse. I personally thought it was a little disconnected from the rest too -- if you knew there was an older version, it seems apparent that something was patched in afterwards.

Edit: Cappadocian -- Taken to Visitor's Messages, as to not clutter up the thread.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
Not open for further replies.