1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=14446&page=26

2. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Well shit, I missed that post. Uh...oops?

3. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Bumping the H/F thread can never be a bad thing. This paring has quite a bit potential but so very few authors pick up on that.

Wastelands of Time seemed to feature a nice H/F but then Fleur got insane and the plot became to "epic" to have any romance.

Champions is a... decent story that I will give a few more chapters before coming to a verdict. As it is not much has really happened but it could be one long set-up for something good perhaps.

4. h2o

h2o Professor

Sten, damn it. I haven't gotten that far in Wastelands yet! Why you go ruin a story for a fewllow countryman :( Put it in spoilertags!

Anyway, I tried giving Champions a read but damn... The amount of exclamation marks, pussy!Harry... urgghhhh. Its shit.

Shame tho, I quite like H/F stories... not just because Harry deserves some awesome action... let's face it, Fleur is kinda bad-ass.

5. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I think it was the author's intention to try and display the somewhat realistic effects of long term emotional/physical abuse on Harry, over what was shown in canon. (E.g., hesitating when hugged, etc).

6. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Yeah, maybe, Ichor, but the problem isn't a Harry who shies away from contact and has problems accepting someone else's honest care or concern from him; it's the way he has to cry every time he accepts them.

Not to mention the fact that Harry is brave and noble for simply going on with his life.

The author's intentions may have been to be realistic, but what we ended up with was retarded angst with all sorts of cliches.

All that said, I'm still reading it between other fics--and I still don't know why.

7. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

True...

I'm also still reading it. Says he's going to update on Sat' or Sun'.

8. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Champions is very cliche, a throwback to some time in the past where people had just gotten the idea to pair the two together. And honestly? I kinda like it. It's very much a guilty pleasure.

9. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I'm not sure where he's going with Dumbledore: on one hand, there are signs that he's going to be manipulative, but on the other hand, it could be just faults that are being exposed.

Edit after last 'Champions' update: yup. Going with the manipulative Dumbles/rich Potter heir cliches. Weasley (see target: Ron) bashing too.

Hermione's also dating Neville, even though there are some hints that her canon/'doesn't' make sense' fixation with Ron is still there as she had looked up veela in a book, because of his reaction around Fleur.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  10. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Edit: Fuck, wrong thread

Erm... Champions chapter 16 is up now

11. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Right, so I've killed some time reading Champions these past few days, and it's actually slightly better than I expected. The number of exclamation marks in the first thirteen or so chapters is totally unbearable, so I pasted in a word editor to replace all of them with full stops, and was surprised to see the writing is very decent. Harry and Fleur's points of view are realistically portrayed, and so far the romance isn't too bad.

That's basically where it ends though. The Ron and Dumbledore bashing is ridiculous, with hidden inheritance, abused and angsty Harry, etc. It's probably because I haven't read cliché'd fics recently that it didn't bother me exceedingly, but it obviously doesn't compare well with the fics I have been reading.

Maybe a low 3/5, if you remove the exclamation marks.

12. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Several main things that bother me in this fic'?

Harry is so damn...well, he's a 'pussy'.

Quote from JKR:

So, yeah. Although it's somewhat 'realistic' to show someone do damaged after so much abuse, it's just not Harry. He maybe damaged, but he'd also explode into a rage when the cage to his temper is swung open, as seen when he blew Dumbledore's office up during the end of book five.

The Ron bashing I can sort of tolerate, since he was a bit of a prat during book four, but he does seem to go overboard a tad.

The Dumbledore situation could still be salvaged, since it seems that alot of the reasons there could be for the 'greater good', e.g., funding the Order against Voldemort, Snape's proxy seat in order sway decisions away from pro-pureblooded views and discrimination against muggleborns do not seem to match up with this version of Dumbledore being an evil Dark Lord 'posing as a Light Lord', or 'doing a Darth Sideous'. That's just guesswork from me, though.

There's potential, and it is a good read, but the cliches are a bit much.

Still, I'm eagerly awaiting the next update either today or tom'.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  13. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

The value of the Galleon probably fluctuates by more than an order of magnitude from fic to fic, but 80 MG seems like a rather large amount considering the sort of ramshackle-ass organization the OotP is, especially during third and fourth year. I'm getting the impression that Albus will be bashed more than anyone else before this is over.

14. RedNehi

RedNehi DA Member

I think I stopped after Harry spooned with Gabrielle, and I'm surprised I made it that far into the story.

15. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Yeah, that's true...

As far as I can tell, that was all innocent, e.g., no motives or subtext behind it. Although now looking back, I'm not sure if it's actually 'fishy' or not. Am I just overanalyzing?

On the subject of Gabrielle in general...

I don't know why other people write Harry having a relationship with Gabrielle: in the movies, she's 11. In the books, she's 8ish. Unless they do a 'future skip' or something where Harry's in his twenties and Gabrielle is coming up to twenty (or in her late teens/of age) or something, it's fucking sick.

16. Portus

Portus Heir

Boy, do you have a lot to learn about DLP. If you care at all about your family, take my advice: Do them a favor and cover the walls of your computer area with plastic so that when your head asplodes (as it surely will), they'll have an easier time with the cleanup.

17. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=13178

^This thread explains it.

18. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

19. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Try harder.

20. Jormungandr