1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

Yes yes we are all aware now what ancient runes and arithmancy entail. You guys can stop reposting everything that has already been said.

2. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Perhaps they do use the learning spell in AR but they have to study so many different ancient languages that it still is a full subject? I imagine the point is to be able to read important old books, which would be spread through a variety of languages. How are you going to read the grimiore of X if you don't know language Y?

3. KillerEggLord

KillerEggLord Third Year

Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived
    Chapter 1: An Alternate Beginning
    Chapter 2: Hogwarts Fall
    Chapter 3: Choices
    Chapter 4: Durmstrang Spring, Part 1
    Chapter 5: Durmstrang Spring, Part 2
    Chapter 6: Durmstrang Spring, Part 3
    Chapter 7: Summer at the Hollow
    Chapter 8: Rising Expectations and Raising Questions
    Chapter 9: Part 1
    Chapter 9: Part 2
    Chapter 9: Part 3
    Chapter 10: Part 1
    Chapter 10: Part 2

Transfiguration Redo

Edit: Thanks to Yak for showing me how to fix the default post per page problem, while keeping a thread based view.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Thanks, Egg. It's working perfectly. :)

5. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

There is some canonical basis for the "reading of old texts", i.e. Hermione getting the original Elder Furthark version of Beetle the Bard's, if you can call that important. So that could be an interesting "This is what you do in 7th year ancient runes" type deal.

However, I do object to the language charm being used for it at all. As mentioned, it requires total immersion in the language. As we do not believe there to be any spoken "ancient" language, I argue that the charm would not work, and that you have to do it the old fashioned way - which is also more understandable that it takes them 2 years to have basic competency with it, if they only meet 1-2 times a week.

6. Hoshiakari

Hoshiakari Second Year

Is there a difference between OWL-level and NEWT-level classes in Durmstrang ?

Now that Harry takes Fifth Year Charms and Transfiguration, does it mean he will sit OWL or similar Durmstrang equivalent at the end of his next year ?

Sorry if it was already explained but I have not found any mention of it in this thread.

7. yak

Beauxbatons does not use OWLs (and probably not NEWTs), so it's unlikely that Durmstrang would use them either. OWLs and NEWTs are administered by the Wizarding Examinations Authority.

I don't think that Durmstrang's academic testing system is specifically mentioned in canon.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  8. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

Calypso mentioned using the hogwarts grading system for tests, so there is a chance. However I always got the impression that OWLs and NEWTs were placement tests like the SAT. It would be silly to take those tests before he turned 15 since they determine what career options he has.

9. greywizard-dumblemort

greywizard-dumblemort Fourth Year

Damn you foo's, I was dearly hoping for the 'Grindlewald's reaction' update...

Anyone who's not Santi and decides to post again is getting Lamia cursed and dragged to hell.

10. yak

I must've missed that, CleanRag; you're correct about the OWLs.

"While we use the standard owl system for tests and such, the final grades are calculated differently," Calypso explained patiently.

11. Hoshiakari

Hoshiakari Second Year

I wonder if there will be another confrontation Harry vs. Lily/James when parents (probably after a few days) realize that Harry has achieved Mastery in Third Year Dark Arts which implies that he knows subject matter above this level.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  12. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

>.<

Did you read the story?

He got the mastery for Curse Deflection. Oh Noes. He might deflect a curse into someone!!!

13. Vorpal

Vorpal Third Year

Uh, no it doesn't. Back in chapter two, Quirrell said that total immersion with a charm enables one to learn the language (to unspecified fluency) in a week. His wording almost directly implies that the charm speeds up learning languages, period--there is nothing whatsoever about it being an essential requirement, merely a question of time needed.

Could be, but it seems unlikely, because Harry also attained the ability to read and write German in about the same time frame. Even native speakers of a language typically take much longer to obtain reading competency, despite being already familiar with the spoken form, even after the basics like the alphabet are established. Besides, for competent readers, words are recognized holistically rather than sounded out by syllable, so knowing the written form of another language with a similar alphabet isn't much of a leg-up.

14. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I stand by the story, and don't believe Ancient Runes could be learned with the charm as written.

15. Vorpal

Vorpal Third Year

Conceded. I remembered the exchange in Ch. 2 but not the one in Ch. 7.

16. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Looking at HBP, it doesn't seem like the OWLs, and by association the NEWTs, are that much different as a system from the one at Durmstrang.

Harry gets an O in Defense as what is unquestionably the top student, but Hermione only gets an E. Harry is better than Hermione at Defense, but I'm sure if it were a performance-based test rather than competitively scaled, Hermione would have earned the O as well, having gotten O's in everything else as the top student in all areas except Defense. Harry trumps her in that area because of his greater combative prowess and experience, but I'm sure that Hermione, being Hermione, would have known the course material and spells well enough (besides helping Harry lead the DA) to get an O if it was based on percentage.

Perhaps O's are only given to the top student, and the next best possible grade is the E.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I figured any information on the grading systems might help with deciding how Harry will face standardized tests later on.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  17. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Snape's cutoff for being accepted to N.E.W.T-level Potions was an Outstanding grade. Slughorn accepted students of E or higher.

If there were only one student per year with an Outstanding grade, that would mean that each N.E.W.T Potions class before Slughorn was limited to a single student - possible, but unlikely. It'd be more of a tutoring session than a class at that point.

18. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This. As well, the OWL's and NEWT's are administered by a group of Ministry officials, that alone would make determining the 'top' student near impossible.

And iirc Harry got his O through 'bonus points' for the Patronus Charm.

19. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

Harry got an O because his plot armour molested its way to the top. Using that as a measuring stick just doesn't work, because if Harry wasn't the main character, he would've gotten an E (or Hermione would've gotten an O as well), even with all his past experiences. I imagine a Ministry-dictated exam doesn't deal very much with how you should kill men a generation your elder who has more magical knowledge than basically anyone else.

I'm looking forward to the World Cup, if Harry goes to it. It would be an outrage not to have Harry go, as James and Nathan would probably drag him along anyway, and Victor could probably get them free tickets.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  20. Roma

Roma Fourth Year

God Dammit, I thought there was an update. Afrojack I'm looking at you.

Not open for further replies.