1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction.Net Filter [FFNetExtender Plugin alternative]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by SerDel, Aug 18, 2010.

1. SerDel

SerDel Third Year

Hi,
    I've made Greasemonkey script that does what Fanfiction Net Extender plugin for firefox did. Since author (Jangel) stopped updating it for new firefox versions and I badly wanted something like that.

It is a little different and pretty basic, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

It uses web service instead of firefox storage (only for plugins), so you can use it across different workstations with the same effect (provided you copy the exact script, as every time you install it from my webpage it generates slightly different version).

Here is the link.
    http://serdel.net/ffnetfilter

PS. Of course you would need Greasemonkey installed in order to use the script.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

The main thing I can think of at the moment is a 'ignore all on page' option, as it's rather tiresome to ignore thousands of slash stories one by one.

Another thing: instead of displaying 'Ignored', it might be better to have the option to 'show all ignored stories' at the top (or bottom) of the page. That way, you won't have so much clutter.

3. cheshirepirate

cheshirepirate Squib

The Firefox plug-in never worked for me but this one does. Time to weed out all those crappy supernatural and HP fics.

You may want to say that the ignore button is next to the author because I was expecting it to be underneath the story like in Jangel's version. Other than that it seems to be ok.

4. SerDel

SerDel Third Year

When I find some time I'll add some things you sugested, right now, I added statistics to the home page, so you can see top 5 most ignored stories (I plan to make monthly most-ignored-story award if more people start using it ;)).

5. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Is it possible to make a setting that allows you to ignore fics with certain words in the summary? Like if I say ignore summaries that have the word "slash" in it and it will ignore all fics that contain that word; is that possible?

Edit: nvm, the ignore button is there

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  6. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

You have a MySQL error on the page for the filter.
    Also, awesome script! Haven't found anything wrong with it yet.

edit: not so subtle bump

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Slight bump, but I think an update for the script might be required; all I'm getting is an 'ignore' next to the first author's name on a list now, and on the one that's there, it's a 'Javascript:void(0)'.

FF.net have said that they were updating their software and servers; maybe that caused an incompatibility issue?

8. SerDel

SerDel Third Year

It works for me right now, and javascript:void(0) is normal. Are you using any other greasemonkey scripts?

9. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Negative, no other scripts.

Edit: Nevermind. Fixed it. Firefox was being pissy.

Edit two: Is there any chance of a script that automatically ignores any story that has Harry and Draco/Harry and Snape as the titular pairings?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  10. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Considering the popularity of the Recommendation Engine, I would love to suggest that you or JordinL found a way to apply this to the Engine. I don't know of the difficulties, but it would be amazing.

Even if that request does not ever happen, I am still VERY thankful for this. It has saved me from so many bad stories.

11. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

So, other than manually ignoring each story, does this thing start keeping track of your ignore selections and start auto-ignoring stories that share a sufficient number of features?

12. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Nope.

Still an amazing tool, every time I open ff.net I have at least five stories ignored on the very first page. Very useful!

13. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

What if DLP could work together to define a common set of ignorable fics (e.g. some percentage or number of users ignored My Immortal, so it becomes auto-ignored for everyone else)?

14. SerDel

SerDel Third Year

Right now it's really simple script with <100 lines of code. It does it job pretty well all things considered.

If there will be more people using it with more stories blocked in database, I'll consider adding some fancy features, but I'm too lazy to do this for only ~50 users ;)

15. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Hey SerDel, the Script stopped working. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but considering your link for the information about this is also broken, I figured asking you would be a good idea.

Also, this bump is still good since this is still the best thing for FF.net I have used. Even more useful than the Twilight remover from all crossovers.

16. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

I had the same problem. I suspect, like you, that the lack of connectivity to the web storage is the problem.

17. SerDel

SerDel Third Year

Right now there are some problems with backend, as soon as I get the files and database back it will work again. Should be this week. Sorry for the downtime.

18. SerDel

SerDel Third Year

Sorry for double posting, but it seems you cannot edit older posts. Backend is fixed right now, unfortunetly I wasn't able to recover lost database (working on it), so all ignored stories are back from grave.

19. One armed boxer

One armed boxer Second Year

20. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Half of the script doesn't work, if I recall correctly.