1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Docker

Docker Third Year

I’ve briefly looked over the eighty pages in this topic- and while I have read quite a lot of it, I admit I have not read every single post that has been made here.
    Correct me if this question has already been asked- I might have missed it, but when Professor Snape was practising Legilimency on Harry during their training session, it seemed he could understand what Harry and his friends conversations were about. Have I missed something or can Snape speak German? Or does Harry’s mind automatically translate his thoughts into English? Is that why Snape could understand them? Because he was talking about Calypso with Lily afterwards so he must have understood it, or at least parts of it. Also when Calypso gave Harry that book on questionable magic while they were talking about her father’s class, could Snape read the title? Or the titles of other books Harry might have been looking at?
    Anyway, I am really enjoying this story so far, a brilliant take on a Twin-Who-Lived story, and from me it gets a 4.5. Chapter 10 so far is also looking pretty good.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

It's been brought up, but I can't remember if it was ever answered by Santi. I don't think it's much of a stretch for Snape to know German though. <_<

3. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

It mostly irrelevent if snape knows German or if Harry's mind translated for snape instinctively, the results are the same.

What is more relevant is how Hermione suddenly understood German enough to read Harry's spell creation textbook

4. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

What seems strange is when Hermione wanted spell creation textbook in summer after Harry´s first year, he did not said that he could not give it to her because of German (his excuse for Rosemburg´s book about Animagus transformation and his bogus one about Calypso´s notebook) but because he will need it later. So maybe The Santi just did not notice it?

5. traubexp

traubexp Muggle

What I find strange is that Harry's parents go beserk when he tested in third year Dark Arts, but when he gets a M in the subject there is no reaction to it! I really think there should be a mention of it even if it's just a concern look or something like that.

6. The Sultan

The Sultan Muggle

That's because it was for Spell deflection, and not for some mastery of evil spells, or something like that.

7. Docker

Docker Third Year

Knowing Hermione Granger, what are the chances of her spending a year desperately trying to learn German, trying to catch up to Harry, so she could either feel that the intellectual gap between them was not so great, or so that she could read his book? Either one of these reasons would not surprise me.

Yes, but as well as the final project the students still had to learn all the spells from the class list to pass. Lily and James are not stupid; they had to have had at least one conversation about the fact that Harry would have to deflect some pretty powerful spells to be at the top of a third year Dark Arts class. I'm sure they would be at least a little bit concerned, even if they do not show it in front of their son.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  8. Equinox

Equinox Seventh Year

I would make note of the fact that the letter doesn't mention why he got the M, merely that he had it. I also doubt that Harry would have mentioned what he did to get the M except in the briefest way possible (if at all) - he knows how his parents feel about the Dark Arts, I doubt he'd think it's a good topic of conversation with them.

If Santi adresses the issue it will probably be along with Lily and James' reaction to him beating Grindelwald's record.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I don't know German, but I've worked through research articles written in the language. It helps if you know something about the subject and you are motivated enough to spending time looking stuff up in a dictionary.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Were you that motivated at 11-12 years old ?

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Right now Hermione is 13-14 and I'm sure Pers was that motivated even earlier in his life :) .

12. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

At 13-14 I was motivated enough by a slight irritation that I couldn't understand what Neue Deutsche Harte bands were saying, and now my german is half decent.

Not good, by any meaning of the word, but I have a good understanding of what's being said to me, and can even speak it back occasionally.

13. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Okay, the correct version of Chapter 9 has been posted on ff.net. This one should be free of grammar errors etc. I completely forgot that I did a system restore and all my documents were on a flash drive.

14. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Can't double-review a chapter on FFN. In the fixed version:

"at the diner table" - was pointed out previously ("dinner").

"finish a classearly are" - missing space post-editing.

Can't wait for chapter 11.

15. Alatoic01

Alatoic01 Squib

When Harry tell her that he could not give her the book because he will need it next year and its in German but he will may give it to her next time, I am sure Hermione went to an store and buy a dictionary German/English and probably when she arrive to Hogwarts went to the library to read about the spell to learn faster others languages and have been self learning all year.

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I just noticed you called the Grangers Dan and Emma, Santi.

For shame.

17. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Is English a second language for you? If not, you have no excuse for your abhorrent grammar.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  18. GShans

GShans Muggle

I'm pretty sure it is, just by reading it, but either way, your response to it seems a bit harsh to me. Perhaps next time you might consider bringing it up a bit more tactfully?

On Topic:

This is an absolutely fantastic story, and I am eagerly awaiting the next installment. I was a FF.net reader who just read chapter 9 a couple days ago, who happened to come here and see that chapter 10 was already fully up. That was very exciting for me, and though I understand writing takes time, I am nevertheless itching to continue reading this story.

Thank you, The Santi, for writing the only harry-at-another-school story to have ever captured my interest.

--G.Shans

19. Alatoic01

Alatoic01 Squib

Well, English is a second language for me (its Spanish), I am sorry if the grammar is not exactly well developed, bu I hope the review I made have some meaning.

will try to fix my writing for next time.

20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    /facepalm.

I know it's a typo, but under the circumstances...:rolleyes:

Not open for further replies.