1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Short Fiction Markets and Contests

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Perspicacity, May 8, 2010.

1. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Several of us on on DLP have an interest in breaking into publishing original fiction professionally. I thought it'd be worthwhile to open a thread listing some short fiction markets (the classical way to get into the game) as well as point out contests, etc. that pop up from time to time that folks here might wish to enter.

Before starting, I recommend you check out SFWA's Writers Beware. Don't get scammed.

A few semi-pro markets/contests where I've sent stuff and had some success:

Often Inspired - Monthly short fiction contests with a prompt, $50 first prize, relatively few competitors, it's the easiest place I've found to rack up "semi-pro" sales. Occasionally, stories that don't win are bought for $25. This month's (May, 2010) contest in particular should appeal to Dresden Files fans.

Writers Weekly - Runs a quarterly 24-hour short story contest. TGYH veterans may enjoy the time limit.

Reading Writers - Quarterly contest, typically of Flash Fiction (<1000 words) length. The present contest ends 15 May. (I've made the finals twice, but have not won).

Much more comprehensive listings of writing markets and contests (thanks to jbern for the links):

http://www.freelancewriting.com/writing-contests.php (all genres)
    http://www.ralan.com/m.pro.php (pro speculative fiction)
    http://www.ralan.com/m.semipro.php (semi-pro speculative fiction)

Several Professional Markets (most are cribbed from Ian Tregillis's website). Be warned: pro fiction is a brutal game; you'll need to bring your 'A' game and a bit of luck to have success.

Writers of the Future
    Abyss & Apex
    Analog Science Fiction and Fact
    Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine
    Asimov's Science Fiction
    Baen's Universe
    Chiaroscuro Magazine
    Clarksworld Magazine
    Fantasy
    Ideomancer
    Interzone
    Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet
    On Spec
    Paradox
    Realms of Fantasy
    Shimmer
    Strange Horizons
    Subterranean Magazine
    Talebones
    Trabuco Road
    Weird Tales

Some online critique groups (participation in some kind of serious critique group is pretty much mandatory if you want to bring your game to the next level):

Online Writers Workshop for Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror - A pay site, but the first month's free; I understand that Jim Butcher used to be a member.
    Critters - Similar to OWW, but free; the quality of the reviewing isn't quite as high and they have fewer "success stories," authors who have gone on to make it big.

You should be aware of the industry standard manuscript format; don't give editors an easy excuse to reject your story.

A parting comment: Be careful with how you post your stuff online. "First publication rights" are voided if your stories are accessible by anyone with Google and a browser. Formats such as WBA on DLP, which limits the readers to site members only, are probably okay, though I've run into one editor who thought otherwise and required me to take a piece down before publication.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Awesome thread. Stick.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I love you awesome and forever, Pers. Fucking excellent thread.

4. Perspicacity

High Score:
    Beneath Ceaseless Skies - SWFA-qualifying pro market (5c/word). I've not published there, but they have received high praise on a speculative fiction list I frequent.

5. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

The best "clearinghouse" for all the token, paying, semi-pro, and pro markets is www.ralan.com.

Many of the "pro" markets still require you print it out and snail mail it to them. Asimov just shifted to an online submission form developed by the folks at Clarkesworld.

6. Perspicacity

High Score:
    A "for the love" market at 1c/word, Dark Wine and Stars publishes speculative fiction anthologies centering around a common theme, 50-5k words, prose and poetry. The present theme is "cats."

http://darkwineandstars.blogspot.com/

Upcoming themes include: Classic Universal monsters, Steam punk, Witches and their familiars, Urban fairy tales, Coffee and magic.

7. Perspicacity

High Score:
    The editor of the Often Inspired Magazine is practically begging for science fiction, fantasy, and mystery stories. He's paying $25+/story, a "Pay" market below semi-pro, decent beer money/padding of one's publishing resumé. I've sold two stories to this mag for $50 apiece and can attest to their being a legit shop. (I will probably submit another story or two just to get them out there).

Seriously, if you want to break into writing, this would be as good a place as any to rack up sales. Sales build confidence like nothing else.

Link.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  8. Perspicacity

High Score:
    I couldn't not forward this contest: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2010/05/30/fanfic-contest/

The pay is 10c/word (double the SFWA minimum for a pro sale) for a 400-2k word story describing a picture with Wil Wheaton riding a kitten-unicorn-pegasus wearing a clown shirt and John Scalzi as an orc; the winner is to be published in an electronic book with similarly prompted stories by Scalzi, Wheaton, Patrick Rothfuss, and Catherynne Valente, proceeds going to Lupus Alliance of America.

The money is good; the company is great. Entry deadline: 30 June.

9. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Damn, I was just about to post that. :p

10. Perspicacity

High Score:
    I ran across this one, which isn't a short fiction market per se, but may be of interest to DLP members hailing from the British Commonwealth or Republic of Ireland:

The Terry Pratchett Prize.

It looks like a sweet deal for eligible someones writing alternative history novels (in the broadest sense) and looking for a way in. Just being read by a major publisher is nontrivial nowadays--most major houses do not even consider unrepresented novels anymore.

11. Perspicacity

High Score:
    I saw this today and thought of the many Aussies on this site. Science fiction/horror blend themes, 1c/word up to $50 (pay market). Submissions are open until 31 Jan 2011:

Joe
  12. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Nice contribution, Pers. Where do you "see" this stuff? Unless I specifically look for fiction markets I don't just stumble on this kind of thing.

Is there a magazine or website subscription?

/ignorance

13. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Nice one, Pers.

I'll be making a contribution to this, for sure.

14. Perspicacity

High Score:
    I used to be a member of the Online Writers Workshop, a workshop for speculative fiction, fantasy, and horror. OWW has a couple of Yahoo groups that announce these kinds of things regularly, along with discussion of the commercial side of writing. I think jbern may be a member of a couple of other such sites, more for suspense/thriller writing.

15. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Hate to necro with what may or may not be something people are interested in, but to anyone who's into 40k, The Black Library is opening up a submission window for a short fiction anthology this September. It's an opportunity for one to get a SFWA qualifying short story under their belt.

16. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Sorry about the necro/doublepost, but I'm just wondering if anyone else actually sent in a submission for the aforementioned 40k Anthology?

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I know that this is a Necro-post, but I had a question that I didn't want to start up a new thread for. And the sticky that looked more relevant was closed.

I've given a lot of thought over the years at trying my hand at writing. I've tried to come up with ideas/interest for writing Fanfiction, but it's never materialized. I do however have a large imagination full of stories that I've thought about for years, full of half-complete plots and characters.

If I was to write a one-shot of this original fiction, and post it here in the DLP WbA for critique (because I might suck too much to try and take this further), would that... invalidate it somehow for publishing elsewhere? I mean, if I've put it on the internet, are the characters/plots/whatever then somehow not valid options for... whatever?

Sorry for the confusing question, but I'm not quite sure how to phrase it. I know next to nothing about how this sort of thing works where fiction is concerned.

18. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    It's a likely possibility, made even more so with the advent of google. Certain (read: most) publications do stipulate the work is not available elsewhere. That the story they are buying is solely their's, usually for a determined amount of time.

That said, I say throw it up here anyway. I have. If you're really cut out for the writing game, you'll find the stories don't stop at one. Indeed, you'll never have enough time for all the ideas. Ever. So throw us a tester story, if you will, and let us gnaw on it.

19. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What Joe said, but also there's the fact that the WbA section is restricted to members only and I don't think you can find stuff on it from google.

20. Calz

Calz Oh, I Got the Mic Now!

You can. Shows right up if the sentence is a direct quote and is something that likely wouldn't be found elsewhere.