1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Will I redeem myself if I tell you...

They will die at some point. Shock. Gasp. OMG!

FINALLY!

I think I've constantly and consistently told people on FF.net to come to DLP. In more than one instance, I've told them that I post early on this site, yet, before now, I believed people were simply ignoring me, to scared to come here, or were lurkers.

So, it's about fucking time. Welcome. Post an intro and do become part of the community. There is a lot of awesome here at DLP.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I was wondering why so many new users (three in the last week) posted only in this thread.

3. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Fail on my part. :D

Thanks for pointing it out.

4. Thorn

Thorn Professor

I think it's a combo of that and the C2...I've noticed a few new guys, not only in this thread.

Santi, I don't even bother to speculate on your story much, because I trust that wherever you lead it will be awesome.

5. Docker

Docker Third Year

The Santi is great advertisement for Dark Lord Potter. One of the main reasons I have been coming onto this forum is because of Santi's story-And I’m sure it’s the same with a lot of other new users as well. Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived has become an almost additive part of my life at the moment.

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    For what it's worth, I've been following this story in FFN for a long while and was practically giddy when I saw that it was longer here.

A great story you have there Santi, I wish all those writers in FFN who fill the site with crap had a tenth of your writing talent. Update soon. Your story is one of the few that I'm looking forward to reading the updates. Most others are either complete or abandoned.

7. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

I do have a question. Why is this in general, when technically it's an alternate universe/plot line?

8. Docker

Docker Third Year

My guess would be because it can be categorised into a few different groups here; such as Independent Harry, Dark Arts or the Alternates. Maybe it’s to stop debates over what section it should be in. But if it is, it looks like its not working. Some of you guys can pull out an argument about absolutely anything.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  9. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Make's sense, I'm just slightly OCD about categorization. So it bugged me a bit.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Then you must hate your given location :awesome

11. Sigurd

Sigurd DA Member

I get what he's saying though, after the WBA thread was made story only I looked in the forums for the discussion thread. General was the last one I checked; Alternate was the first.

12. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Interlude part 1 is now up in WbA

13. Celestin

You made my day Santi.

One thing that bothers me - shouldn't Minerva and especially Albus have already their own copies of Transfiguration Today as it's magical field where they both specialize? Rosemburg send Harry early copy, but Lily bought normal ones six days later for them, so I sure they would already have their own.

14. All Hail Half-Bloods

All Hail Half-Bloods First Year

I think these reactions were right on the money, particularly the Potters and McGonagall & Flitwick. Harry's parents are a mixture of pride and worry...I think that little tidbit is the best job you have done so far in showing the growing gap between members of the Potter family. It even alludes to an actual discussion/confrontation between Harry & his parents about what Harry is REALLY learning at Durmstrang. Though Harry had always been hesitant to truly apply himself at Dark Arts due to the views of the subject he had been passed down from his parents. His dressing down by Professor Rosier & Calypso's tutroing on the proper way to cast Dark spells nudged him forward a tad bit...but you sense he is still hesitant about jumping into the subject with as much enthusiasm as he has from Charms & Tranfiguration. But coincidentally something has just happened which could give him the push he needs into the Dark Arts beyond doing well in class..if that's the case then thank you Peter Pettigrew.

Flitwick & McGonagall...I don't know if perfect is the right word, but I really can't think of any other way to describe it. It was wistful, regretful, sad...with just the right little bit of self reflection. It's a real blow to see a student of yours thrive the second he gets away from your school.

Now as for Dumbledore, we've never seen his private side so that piece of him is open to interpretation. I think you did it well, he was his usual playful self with Fawkes which shows that what the world sees is really Dumbledore & not some eccentric grandfatherly image meant to hide fanon manipulative Dumbles or anything like that. Obviously anything bringing up Grindlewald is going to bring Albus' mood down given their history. But, I dunno...I guess I was hoping this would open the door to some of Dumbledore's thoughts on the Potters. How he feels to know this brilliant mind would not have thrived like he is now at his school, maybe some mental comparisons between Harry and Nathan, perhaps even him feeling bad because he is happy Harry is gone because it is easier to steer Nathan where he wants him to go without someone as brilliant as Harry there to put himself in the way. I'm not saying Dumbledore as a closed book was a bad reaction but I was just hoping for something more...though I don't really know what.

How will the Grindlewald reaction work? Will he be given the magazine by a guard? Or will Albus bring it/send it to him?

15. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

Yeah, this. Other than that, great update. The only bad thing is that I started reading expecting that all reaction scenes had been done... In other words, can we have some more soup, err, story, please?

16. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

Kinda meh. Reactions are almost always better in my head then they are on paper. I enjoy imagining them and they are a major way that I interact with the story. Putting them down on paper needlessly ruins that for me.

I just cant get interested in them unless the characters reaction is already tied into a plot when it happens. James and Lily's were the best. Dumbledore's was less about what he thought and more of an insight into his character. Since he plays such a small role in your story it read as useless filler. Minerva's and Flitwick's were boring, flat, and predictable.

I look forward to Calypso's because it could reveal some of her plans or motivations. But I suspect you're just going to turn the scene into another tease like you did with Occlumancy and reveal nothing.

These scenes add nothing to your story and should be removed. If they are important later on you should hint at what the character thought when it is relevant to the story.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  17. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Also I find it odd that as gifted at Transfiguration as James is, he simply couldn't conjure a beautiful frame for the newspaper then and there and Lily could apply charms as necessary. "Talking to someone about having it framed" seemed to take away from that part.
    The rest was good, not exceptional as the rest of your story is.

18. Celestin

That's why they are called interlude and not a new chapter.

19. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Gotta disagree on this one. The story is from Harry's point of view, and thus we have little insight into the minds of the other characters other than what Harry observes. As such, these add characterization points that while not vital to plot progression, they certainly add an extra dimension to existing characters and give us a better idea of what they think of Harry without breaking up the PoV of the story itself.

As for the Occlumency tease... it's called suspense. Having everything laid out plain and simple does a boring story make.

20. b3serker

b3serker First Year

Awesome work like always Santi! I wish the snipped included James and Lily's reaction to Harry leaving early....but I suppose that can wait until the real chapter.

Not open for further replies.