1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Playstation Move

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Ten miles is nothing, Schro. PUSH IT!

And Time Crisis was the shit, Pyro. That and that zombie haunted house game. Fun times.

On topic, this looks pretty sweet. Had so much fun with the eye toy, but they never really brought any games out for it and mine went to waste. Only so many times you can beat that karate game. D:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Yes. This is great. I love motion control. I like that due to the increase in interactivity my own capabilities affect my success in a game more and more and that I'm even able to compete against other players in a player versus player environment. I don't want to continuously press a couple of buttons and have the main character do the actual work. Gaming is supposed to be engaging. And after my 8 hour long day at my desk job, all I want is to NOT sit still. Love this new improvement in motion tracking.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T BUY IT. There are others who do.

3. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, obviously I'm not going to buy it: console gaming is retarded as gaming gets, in my opinion. Doens't mean I can't complain about the technology.

4. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Depends, but...

...this is essentially what I'm disagreeing with. You don't like having to move if you want to play a game? Totally fine, that's your opinion. But complaining about the technology? This is in fact a technological improvement, however minor it is compared to the Wii. And it's pretty cheap.

If you combine this sort of tracking (-> human hands), the pure amount of touchscreens that flood our markets daily and a couple of things shown on TEDTalks recently, advanced computer-human-interaction seen in a couple of movies taking place in the future (i.e. Minority Report) doesn't seem so unbelievable anymore.

That's why I'm wholeheartedly encouraging these sort of things.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Jesus. If you don't like console gaming, then shut the fuck up and don't enter threads which talk about console gaming, you vapid slut.

Better yet, go back to GinnyPotter, Vegata.

6. Schrodinger

High Score:
    Lolwut?
    (filler)

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lolwut?

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I actually went to the arcade in a movie theater near here not long ago to fuck about, and they still have a bunch of the motion-capture firefight games and they're fun as fuck. I would love to have that in my house, especially once Activision and shit get ahold of it.

9. Schrodinger

High Score:
    blah blah blah, I'm a stupid whore.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
  10. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Regardless of whether or not they're the same person, that is one gay ass email.

Just sayin'.

11. Schrodinger

High Score:
    Yaah, there's a reason I don't use it anymore and gave it to my younger brother.

12. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Twenty miles per day, by bike, really isn't much. But then, that's more than I'd expect most PC gamers to be capable of, so kudos. I guess.

On topic: I'd probably get this solely for the tennis-like games tbh. Untill they come up with some way to stop the remote (and my swing) as it comes into "contact" with my opponent, remote gaming is just an exercise in painful overextension. Wasn't surprised in the slightest when Wii people complained about soreness and over-exertion...

I'll still try this, since 1:1 is admittedly legit, and I have a PS3 now. I'm betting it'll just be one more accessory to add to the eBay bundle once I sell it, and get an XBox and fulfill my Minority Report-styled, gesture-filled wet dream.

13. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Yes, it's a technological improvement, but Schro is right that he/she can bitch about it. If technology like this is more than a gimmick and sells well, 'old school' controller games could become obsolete, destroying gaming for schro and all people like him/her.

14. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Doubtful. Wand- (to differentiate from controller) and gesture-based input are targeted quite specifically at non-gamers. The video game industry has made, and will continue to make, too much money to phase out regular controllers.

15. Solomon

Solomon Heir

That's why the Wii has zero major games made for old-school audiences that require motion control.

None. Not a single one requires motion control.

Oh wait.

THAT BEING SAID: for what it's worth, I don't see controllers being phased out, but the possibility is there, and that bothers me.

16. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

That's right - they haven't made a single one that requires motion control, as each game can still be played with a regular remote if one chooses.

Because it'd be batshit insane to expect such rabid game title fanatics (e.g. Smash Brothers) to calmly accept using a wand without burning down each and ever Nintendo facility in protest.

17. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

The Wii has the classic controller for a reason...

18. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Actually, the vast majority of them do require the motion control to some extent. It may not necessarily be a huge thing, but it's there. Super Smash Bros. is the minority.

19. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

It's true that it's unlikely for controller games to be phased out entirely anytime in the near future....But it has far to much potential as an issue.

Already, lots of console games focus more on multiplayer and DLCs then they do the actual content. Gaming is getting more casual by the day, and though the idea of virtual reality is awesome, I'm not ready to get rid of my Zelda's, Silent Hill's, Resident Evil's, Final Fantasy's, Ico's, and Psychonaut's.

Most games I know of only take three or four hours to beat, at most. What happened to the fifty hour epics you ended up playing well into the early morning?

We'll probably always have PC games, as well as homebrews, but I'm still sick of needing internet and eighteen other people I've never heard of (and that, frankly, piss me off) just to spend my night gaming. I, for one, would love to see a renewal of elaborate storylines and amazing single player gameplay that ends with you either feeling like the goddamn hero of time or a moment of astonishment where the gears click into place and you realize that you've been mindfucked so bad you need a morning after pill.

We almost never see great moments in games anymore. From the WTF moments to the self-satisfied 'your ass is a hat now', there gone. I haven't seen many characters I gave a shit about since the 360 got launched. Maybe I'm just playing the wrong games, but it seems to be that the entire concept of a game has turned into a cheap whore you look at and go 'yeah, I've got fifteen minutes.' Show me I'm wrong.

That said, move looks pretty cool, and I hope they don't fuck kinect up to bad.

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Lol? Forums send verification emails to the email you provide them. If you don't know the password for the email you provided, you can't get the verification link. Unless somebody, for some really random reason, decided to hack your email just to sign up for that board, it's your email. The same email you used to sign up for this board. Vegata9001 used stevejobsfan@yahoo.com to sign up for ginnypotter.net on February 19, 2009. You, Schrodinger, used that email to sign up for DLP on February 4, 2009.

Yeah, I'm sure it's your brother that signed up for that board.

Last edited: May 12, 2014