1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Magic the Gathering

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dunno, my girlfriend just bought a couple of boxes of M11 a few days ago, shes rebuilding her old deck which is entirely based around the legendary Dragons. The damn thing is just absolutely vicious when she gets it rolling.

2. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

The more I think about it, the more I begin to believe my cards are actually 1200 miles away in my parent's basement. :<

Fuck you all! I want to play! (Also, OPT just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's the fact that I can't seem to remember the rules exactly, or maybe it's that I can't get the Solitare thing to work the way I want it to. Who knows.)

Also, Vash's Steam avatar now makes perfect sense. (Or at least I know where it's from.)

3. Krogan

High Score:
    If you want you can grab the one made by Wizards its nothing awe inspiring but its quite fun if you can't play any real life people at the time. You will have to purchase your own cards to play though. All you have to work with in the beginning are stunningly generic starter decks that any 8 year old who'd only been playing for a day and a half could piss all over.

4. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

@Krogan. I used to run an elf deck in the past, haven't played in about a year or two. I broke it open and went through what I used to use.

Obviously Overrun, but I got tired of using it too much. A couple of elves that were pretty crucial for me were...

Taunting Elf, Titania's Chosen, and Priest of Titania.

Not sure if rules have changed much on how creatures block(or is it defend now?). I would also throw in Nature's Revolt for a last ditch plan in case they wiped out my elves.

Hope this helps, but I do have a few questions. Just how is your elf/deck set-up? Just to overwhelm with numbers? Or do you use the quick mana of the elves to bring out some expensive cards early?

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I... was browsing around Wizard.com just now. I have to ask...

What the fuck is this shit? :| Its as bad as Planechase (the one with the dice and plane cards I mentioned earlier.).

While I like some of the artwork these ... scheme... cards look balls. :|

Yeah... That looks about what I have, pic count wise. Not sure why you have 300 folders though. o_O Ive only got 150.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  6. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

It was pointless for a couple reasons 1) That was money I could have spent to buy a box when the new set arrived (thus allowing me to sell high), and 2) In terms of odds, they were mostly against me getting good shit since I'd been getting good shit for so long.

On the plus side, it shouldn't be too difficult to find buyers for those cards.

7. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    All Is Dust.

8. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Combo elves is the probably the "best" or most consistent tournament way to win. But it's just not as fun to go infinite life/mana/creatures and end the game. Nissa on her own is more fun. And there's also a new legendary elf spoiled for Scars here. Instant speed overruns, as many as you can tap for? Yeah, that could be useful. Particularly strapped to a body that can regenerate itself and everything else so easily.

9. Krogan

High Score:
    Ooooo I like this, I haven't been keeping up with the latest sets, I had not seen these two. I have got to get Nissa that is disgustingly awesome for my deck.

Also meh I love my elf deck, its honestly never let me down. When I was first getting into playing years back during Judgement I ran a white angel deck but I never had any real fun with it, it was just kind of dull playing.

10. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I remember that I used to play Magic (really, really, very noobishly) back when I was like 9, probably because I liked the artwork. Now I've got alot of time and some money to splash so I think I'll get into MtGO sometime this week cause it seems like alot of fun from what I've researched (Also don't think there are much paper games running around where I live).

I'll probably hit you up when I get set up, nonjon, if you wouldn't mind helping a newb around (I'm just coming for the free cards! :D). From what I've read I think I'll start with either swiss round drafting or 4-3-2-2 with the M11, and go from there (Obviously, alot of practice games atm on the free trial and later when I get my account.) Any starting tips or things I should avoid once I log in, nonjon?

EDIT: Now on MTGO aswell, Kicking Taures ass. Username: Azira.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm on MTGO, username LordTaure.

12. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Most of them are empty for some reason. o_O

13. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Been running a few fun decks. My favourite has to be a Blue/Green deck with a load of ridiculously expensive but ridiculously powerful Eldrazi creatures. They all have annihilator, and stats like 9/9.

The rest of the cards are designed to a) pump out the land I need to get to afford the Eldrazi and b) buy me time. So I have lots of blue removal in there, and lots of cheap weak creatures.

As an added bonus there's a Polymorph card hidden in the deck, so if I get that card and have a load of tiny cheap creatures out, I can swap them for an army of Eldrazi.

There's also a few artefacts in there. In my last game I had a 10/9 Eldrazi creature with Annihilator 2, plus equipped with an artefact that gave it Unblockable and Shroud.

After that it was smooth sailing.

14. Antivash

... Strange. o_O

I despise Eldrazi. Haaate with a passion.

Also; Anyone interested in an online casual? D:

15. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Lol I just completely wiped the board in a two headed giant game.

You start with 40 life.

By turn 4 I had 3 Serra Ascendants out.

Serra Ascendants have 6/6 if you're over 30 life, plus lifelink, and cost only 1 mana to cast.

It's a bit broken, but when I realised what had happened it was win.

16. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

There's some fun broken-ass cards and interactions in 2HG or other non-standard magic formats. Like Serra Ascendant. Or any of the cards that give you something good as well as helping an "opponent" (the two Phelddagrifs and Trade Secrets are the first that come to mind). I'd think if you're running that many Serra Ascendants, might want a Felidar Sovereign in there. Nothing like winning a game against multiple opponents in a single move.

Also, seeing as Scars is fully spoiled now, the one card that jumped out at me as potentially broken as hell for multi-player was Exsanguinate. In a free for all, that's a surefire way to make everyone hate you.

17. Skeletaure

High Score:
    That's a pretty nice card! I try to only get cards that will still be in Standard come October though. Which is annoying, because I don't much like the idea of Scars (look at me, already disliking change!). I find artefacts fun, but this block seems to move the game to revolve around them entirely.

18. Antivash

Considering that the original Mirrodin block was just as artifact heavy, it sort of makes sense. I used to like artifacts and fiddling with them, but (surprising, I know. :eek:) Morrodin and the sets that followed kind of killed that. :/

19. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    o.o I'm used to playing that with 30 life. Maybe it's a variation that my circle plays, or something.

Anyways, white is easily the most OP colour in team games with combined life points. So many high life-abusing cards.

20. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Lol, I just beat one of my friends IRL with a pretty eclectic deck. He was playing Pyromancer Ascension. I was playing:

1 Sylvan Ranger
    3 Llanowar elves
    1 Garruk's Companion
    1 Mitotic Slime
    2 Duskdale Wurm
    1 Viscera Seer
    1 Royal Assassin
    1 Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet

4 Cultivate
    3 Giant Growth
    2 Naturalize
    1 Nature's Claim
    1 Leyline of Vitality
    1 Overwhelming Stampede
    2 Quag Sickness
    2 Mindrot
    2 Corrupt
    3 Diabolic Tutor
    3 Doom Blade
    2 Whispersilk Cloak
    1 Wurm's Tooth

4 Terramorphic Expanse
    10 Forrest
    8 Swamp

The deck looks random if you look at it, but it worked very well. Overwhelming Stampeded him with a Duskdale wurm with Giant Growth, a Llanowar Elves and a Royal Assassin for 32 damage.