1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

IIRC, the whole "no light side and no dark side" thing was false. Still, you have a point. A great point, even.

2. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Update for Boy Who Lived and Rules of the Trade in the same day?

:awesome day is :awesome.

3. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

Snape scene: Awesome no other comments necessary.

Calypso & Romulus scene: Works but is probably the weakest of the interludes in my mind. Also with Peter being on the loose wouldn't the Potters be just as above the law as Lucius?

Grindelwald scene: Beyond awesome, I really hope that he appears again at some point later on in the story. That and its always nice to find new ways to insult Fairgold's crap.

4. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Us Canadians, man. We're fucking ninjas. Don't mess with our frozen shit.

5. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

I am not insulting Canada or Canadians considering that living in Michigan 90% of my alcohol comes from there. I am however insulting Fairgold and her bullshit stories with all her Demons and invincible vampires

6. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Denarii Host

Interesting chapter. I liked the bit with Grindelwald. I would love to hear more from him in this story.

7. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

We also have our share of pirates.

Sorry for the shittyness of the vid, was the only semi decent one I could find.

8. Teh Queen Jade

Teh Queen Jade Squib

When the arm was severed and turned to ash, was the wand turned to ash to or did Grindelwald hide it?

9. Thorn

Thorn Professor

Grindelwald was the best part of the interlude. Was characterized brilliantly. I hope to see more of him in the story, but won't be at all bothered if he's not. Also, I don't know if it was addressed yet, but there was a line, something about "a magazine this magazine" or close to it.

Might want to go fix that.

10. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

The Grindelwald scene was amazingly done. It captured what I always envisioned of prisons at par with Azkaban that were spread throughout Europe. Just as cruel, if not deadly as Azkaban's Dementors.

11. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I thought it was relatively clear that Grindelwald had enchanted the cells to destroy any attempt to put a wand inside of one, as that is where a prisoner could take the opportunity to get at it. If the enchantment only destroyed the arm of the person "aiding" the prisoner (whether through intent or stupidity) then the enchantment would work to facilitate a breakout, which is not what Grindelwald wanted when he built the prison.

12. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

It seems to me what was posted in WbA is the same as the second draft and I've left corrections for the second draft in the group. Good job, and I agree these were more exciting than the first part of the interlude. Can't wait for chapter 11.

13. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I don't think it was the wand that triggered the wards. It's more likely that they reacted to the Auror's spell. In this case, the wand might not be targeted by the enchantments as it is useless to the prisoner and can be used to identify the perpetrator.

14. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

How is a wand thrown into a cell useless to a prisoner?

That's like the classic nail file in a cake x1000.

15. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Grindelwald's scene while awesome was almost in no way pertinent to the story; Still as a stand alone it was more than well written. I hoped it could be constructed as a counterpart to Dumbledore's but seeing the way it turned out I must confess I don't believe that would be nearly half as fun to read as this one.

Bonus points for not forgetting about Quirrell. I was a very happy man to see the reference to Harry's forgetting about Hogwarts and "beginning his education at Durmstrang". Snape's suspicion was also refreshing; though I wonder: does he care more about the danger to the future saviour (Nathan) or to Lily? Doubt he gives a rat's ass about Harry.

Calypso and Romulus' was in my opinion forgettable and superfluous. Just more let's get to the next chapter and then we'll see kind of stuff.

-------

What he said:

16. BF1110C4

BF1110C4 Squib

I thing it is quite relevant to have Grindelwald to compare not only to Dumbledore, but in a future to Harry as well. While Voldemort is a big influence on Harry, Harry got similar a motivation and resources to the old monster.

17. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Because the prisoner cannot use the wand without being vaporised?

18. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Unless, of course, Grindelwald becomes a part of the story in later years - chances are Grindelwald's taken an interest in Harry now, given his record was broken by a second year.

19. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

This.

That scene was way too well written and detailed for Grindelwald not to appear in future chapters. Hell, I'd put money on him eventually breaking out, and if he does, remember people: I called it.

Easily the best of all the reaction scenes. :awesome

20. BF1110C4

BF1110C4 Squib

Also Harry could do prison interviews with some of the great mages of history and use his connections to get a visitors pass. Grindelwald would do an excellent Hanibal Lecter.

Not open for further replies.