1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The problems with HBP, chapter by chapter.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midknight, Aug 21, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

-Shakes head-

Just because you're willing to settle for the most plebian of all possible outcomes doesn't make me an idiot, Rather, it makes you a simpleton.

Book seven was, in my opinion, a compilation of poor Deus ex, and bad Fanfiction. Rowling should have started the war in book five, and not tried to keep it rated 'T'. It may have started as a childrens story, but war is never pretty, and she made a major fuckall of it when she tried to put it off for three books, and then cram it all into the last one.

Edit: and Sesc, the 'In Character' and 'Predicted' coupled with the Massive Deus Ex that was the hallows is why it was so crappy. There was SO MUCH potential in that book, and with very few exceptions, she pissed it all away.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

So, what did all of you expect to happen post book-5 compared to what did happen in the final two books?

3. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I expected that I would read the ending to a series of books I enjoyed. I didn't expect people to take spiky hammers made of rage and beat the books into oblivion because the author decided not to use their genius plot devices.

4. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I sure as hell didn't expect H/G.

Seriously, where the fuck did that come from? :confused:

Besides that I expected one of the Golden Trio to kill someone. I really did. I thought it was pretty much inevitable that they would have to.

I also expected Harry to die and stay dead. Considering how JK said the last book would focus on death.

I expected a lot of people to die and I got that but what I didn't get was the emotional response from Harry. His response to all the people that died for the cause was pathetically short. It reminded me of the end of Eldest. Sure it was the end of the series and she didn't have much room but she could have given it a go. Maybe I just like to see Harry suffer.

I also expected JKR's editors to keep their bitch on a leash.

And I'm pretty sure no one expected the 19yl shit.

5. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

While there were specifics in book 7 that rankled, in the end, it was the incongruity between book 7 and book 6 (as well the large one between book 6 and book 5) that did me in. Reading it as a stand alone, it is passable fantasy. As the culmination of a 7 part series, it fails, hard.

Although, it has to be given, she might have screwed up plot mechanics at times, in book 7 the apotheosis of Harry's character is done pretty well, thematically. It could have been better, but after book 6, I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. (This, of course, excludes the epilogue, which was basically stuck into the final draft by a drolling fan who happened to be the progeny of one of the people in close contact with the book.)

6. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

First Girl Wins - Ginny was literally the first female his age that Harry meets - in Book 1. I predicted this when I finished reading the first book. Furthermore, when it was ultimately Ron, and not Harry, that saved Hermione, I figured out the Ron/Hermione pairing would happen.

Anyway, there were more than enough hints throughout the series until they finally got together in book 6.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1572107/20071017/story.jhtml

Also, http://www.accio-quote.org/ , Ctrl+F and search for <JKR: "hogwarts is a multi-faith school">

As someone who picked up on the Christian symbolism that smashes you in the face throughout the first book--though Jo toned it down in the subsequent volumes--the Harry-dies-and-resurrects thing was pretty predictable to me. It doesn't hurt that throughout the series Harry symbolically dies in each book and then symbolically resurrects.

Whether one is Christian or not shouldn't matter to people in the west who are bombarded by its symbols every day of their lives. Even if you just want to read a story and don't want a religious book, people have got to be willfully ignorant if they don't see it.

Whilst the particulars were not predictable, the jist of it was: the main pairings were there and they had kids. What was more surprising was Draco not dead or in prison.

In any event, Jo wrote the Epilogue pretty early on so she would have a goal to work towards. That explains why the writing level noticeably shifts from the style of the 7th book to that of the first book.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

After book 4, I wanted and expected a time skip, Harry to have some training for the eventual battle. Not some bullshit deus ex. Instead, nope, it's go to school as usual while a war is building up.

The whole series would of been better as a trilogy like she though originally. Most stuff is just pure filled. The Stone, the Chamber, everything in Azkaban except for Sirius, Remus and Peter was filler, and then she threw the characters away more or less. Goblet was a just filler fest, Phoenix seemed interesting, but again, nonstop filler fluff.

Take out the Quidditch, the random nonsense, the crying over Privet Drive, and a few other things, and you can condense the books into a 2 medium sized books. Flesh them back back with some decent middle sections rather then random gibberish, and there you go.

8. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Primarily, I expected Harry to defeat Voldemort on his own merits (with Hermione and Ron at his side until the final battle). There would be a message about hard work, determination and the will to succeed will enable you to overcome adversity, or something similar.

We all know what happened instead.

What else post-OotP? I expected Harry to become more studious, given that the stakes had been immeasurable raised. I expected more encounters with Death Eaters, and Harry actually besting them on his increasing skill. He didn't necessarily have to kill, but to capture/defeat them, sure.

I expected him, Hermione and Ron to mature, given what they'd seen and done, and not waste an entire year squabbling amongst themselves while acting way out of character even for hormonal teenagers.

I expected Harry and Hermione to end up together given that Hermione was the only person that ever truly supported Harry always or knew him. Ginny was less than a minor character after CoS until OotP. No development between the pair. Utterly ruined the romance angle in the series.

I expected Dumbledore to teach Harry properly, and not simply review memories (which, while useful to understand why Voldemort is evil, was insufficient given the massive difference in skill levels).

Besides that, I've mostly forgotten my expectations. Book 6 was just terrible, and 7 was too jammed packed with content that should've been split between the two. I wouldn't have minded H/G if Ginny had been characterised properly and the romance properly formed. I also wouldn't have minded the Hallows if there had been mentions of them in previous books - some kind of foreshadowing.

9. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Am I the only one which thinks that HBP was written by a ghostwriter and DH's whole garbled structure felt really weird to me, not to mention the ending ?
    She wasted 6 years to build up Snape and partly Lucius and both ended in the most pathetic pointless ways I can't even grasp the intention of the writer.

I mean, can anybody here actually understand the point of the convoluted plot to let Snape kill Dumbledore and make himself the most trusted DE ? What was the actual benefit for the plot in DH?

As a reader you can assume that he avoided too much damage to the pupils but assuming makes no story, neither do you need to be the most trusted DE to end as Headmaster.

If Snape would have found the location of a Horcrux or provided some other important informations it would have made some kind of sense. To let him deliver the sword or provide the information that Harry is the last Horcrux and needs to die felt like an extremely convoluted way to keep Snape somehow in the story than ignore him completely. Here the whole planned plot broke together imho.

The previous books had a similar style and mood, the plot matched between the ends and the start of the next book and if somebody argues with child books, GOF and OOTP surely weren't child books anymore. But that wasn't the case with HBP and DH at all.

She got her child 23 January 2005 while HBP was released 16 July 2005. If I had half a billion in my bank account and with a child on the way trying to write a book to keep up with my publisher's release date expectations would be the last thing on my mind.

Despite a few stupid plot devices in OOTP the book was my favorite with POA because both opened the magical world a lot and created so many possibilities because it made the world grey.

But HBP and DH didn't use the developed world to its potential at all. Either the interesting planned world she created was an illusion managed by sheer damn luck to quote McGonagal and the luck ran out after OOTP or she wasn't fully involved anymore.
    Maybe it was a combination of both.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

No.

The books are solid in terms of delivering a cohesive plot from book 1 to book 7. The only thing that changed is you - getting older, developing new preferences in literature, and (the biggest mistake) reading fanfiction by incredibly talented authors.

11. One armed boxer

One armed boxer Second Year

Really the biggest problem I have with DH (besides ASP) is that long ass part in the middle where there's nothing but them walking around in the woods.

12. Midknight

I wouldn't say that Blaise. I read them all but 7 pretty close together, and have again since. The writing style changes in 5 a small bit, 6 big time. The quality just takes a giant nose dive.

13. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually still love all the books. I've yet to re-read DH though which is an indicator of dissapointment with it.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Midknight, you know this isn't some shitty anime, right? Leave the time skips and training periods to Naruto and HP fanfiction. The fact that there are 7 years in Hogwarts, and knowing that there are 7 books should have made it obvious that there would never be any time skip, other than the month or two between every book and it's immediate sequel.

Having a time skip/training period is a huge Deus Ex Machina, worse than anything JKR ever did. And you don't know the meaning of deus ex machina if you think what JKR did with the wands was an example of that. This was foreshadowed since the first 100 or so pages of Sorcerer's Stone, when Harry first got his wand. Then again in Goblet of Fire when Harry fended off Voldemort because of the brother wands. Wands were such an important part of book 7, it wasn't a surprise at all at the end when it was due to wands that Harry won.

I mean, reading over your post, it seems like all you want is fighting, training, fighting, and time skips. That filler stuff? That's what makes the world interesting. It also allowed for character development and what makes the books readable. Basically, what you want is fap material for a 13 year old boy.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  15. Midknight

Aw Sree did you take your big boy medicine today? Yes, I expected the books to be worth a fuck, and not end the way they did. Blow me.

And remember, she didn't plan on 7 books. The success took her by surprise and she didn't know what to do next.

*So I'd thought I remembered, maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

1) Calling me a little kid then saying "blow me" as your argument. Nice irony.

2) The success did take Rowling by surprise, but that doesn't mean she didn't plan all 7 books in advance.

From HP Lexicon, taken from a Borders interview that is no longer on the web, it seems:

Of course, she might be lying. But really, there'd be no reason to.

17. Midknight

Seriously, you on your period or something, you're being pretty bitchy for some reason?

Anyhow I distinctly remember us all discussing how she didnt plan all the books at the start from some interview she gave forever ago, cbf to find the links, maybe I'm wrong. Either way it doesnt change that fact that I didn't like how it ended, fanfiction possibly ruined it for me, but the quality just fell off a cliff.

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Lol? All I said is that you shouldn't expect Anime shit in actual literature and you told me to blow you. I'm not the one being bitchy, cupcake.

And I'm pretty sure you're wrong. JKR said in many interviews that she planned all 7 from the beginning, just one interview saying otherwise would be questioned and remembered.

The quality of book 6 was not up to par with the other books, I wholeheartedly agree with you on that -- but you really have no justification in saying DH was bad without even reading it.

19. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Harry actually cries over the loss of the Dursley's in book 7 because they were killed? He cries over "family" that abused him for 17 years? What a fucking dipshit. If it were me, I wouldn't cry over those pieces of shit dying. Since my mother was such a fucking bitch, and didn't really show real emotion towards me the first 17 years I live with her, and if she actually died right now, I'd be actually happy, and I'd piss on her fucking grave, that's what I'd do. But since Harry is such a fucking retard, it doesn't surprise me that he'd cry over assholes that abused him for 17 years.

Rowling really doesn't understand how humans really work. Douchebag.

20. Midknight

I've read enough chapter chunks to stay away from it. What I saw was enough to know I'd hate it.

Not open for further replies.