1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo 3DS

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

[yt]nz8i1U5boQA[/yt]

Surprising, Nintendo's new system actually seems to have games that will look better then smear pixelated shit with watercolors pissed ontop of it. Graphically still weaker then the PSP, but a move in the right direction. I just hope they'll use the 3d effect of the screen properly, the DS's touchscreen was more often then not an annoyance gimmick then an actual tool in previous games, or just flat out ignored.

2. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

That looks pretty impressive, about as good as the Wind Waker was for the Gamecube, not as smooth around the edges, but pretty close.

Know is the new 3DS will need glasses to use?

3. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

No glasses necessary. That's why it's so expensive - the screens haven't really been mass produced before.

4. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

Everyone's really skeptical about the 3DS and its games, but a friend of mine managed to get to E3, and all he could say was "fucking HOLOGRAMS". That seems to be the general consensus. So, even if the graphics aren't great, it's fucking HOLOGRAMS.

And the whole point of the 3DS is that you don't need glasses, although you do need two eyes (so no pirates), and you've got to look at it head-on for it to work.

5. Midknight

No glasses and I expect it'll be little more then a gimmick that won't work properly, but at least Nintendo is trying to innovate. Their games are shit, their hardware is shit, but I'll give them credit for trying new things.

6. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

That sounds pretty epic, but then again, as midknight implied, so did the Wii. Will wait for judgment on this one, but I can't help but feel a little hopeful. Luckily, I'm not a pirate so I should be able to use it. ;P

7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pokemon is awesome, you know it. Anyway, I'd take a DS over that chunk of shit PSP any day.

OHSHITCONSOLENERDRAGE.

8. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    And I'll get a computer and play real games.

9. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

So long as they are from before 2006.

10. Goreshade

Goreshade Fourth Year

The 3DS does have better hardware than the PSP, the only thing it loses to the PSP on is screen size and resolution. Have you seen Resident Evil Revelations or Metal Gear Solid 3 on this thing? Beastly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCIBIeZ4Hho

And we're talking near launch releases here, look back at the graphics of any system near launch and then what was released later in the cycle, it's always a big difference. Of course I'm sure if Sony does PSP2 it will destroy 3DS hardware wise, but until that happens 3DS will be the most powerful gaming hand held out there.

BTW Midknight, did Mario piss in your cheerios or something? Nintendo makes some of the best games out there, bar none.

11. Schrodinger

High Score:
    "Bar none?" Go suck a donkey dick will I replay DA: O endlessly. Alistair. <3

12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

While I can't say I agree that Nintendo makes the best games, they do make some pretty fantastic games, and I'll pick this up at some point simply because I know there are going to be a million and a half kickass third party games for it (more than anything else I can't wait for Atlus to take advantage of it).

3DS Ocarina of Time sounds like a blast and a half, too, but that's because I'm a rose-goggled child and would love to play through that game for the eighth time.

As long as you stop posting.

13. Schrodinger

High Score:
    I'll stop posting for the same amount of time as you suck a donkey dick, sound good?

14. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How about you both stop posting and go outside for a while?

15. Midknight

The game that they made originally and it's sequel were pretty good. I haven't really been able to stomach the exact same game over and over that they keep remaking. And they stopped bothering for awhile and just started recoloring the old fucking ones, lol.

Nintendo DS launch titles and newer titles almost all look like old cell phone games on a budget. Simple games like Picross 3d or yes, the remade Pokemon stand out as some of the best looking and playing, and that's just fucking sad. I get more use out of my DS as an ebook/mp3/video player then a game system.

Also, some of the RPGs are the best looking on the system, but that's mostly from the extensive cinematics, but shitty controls that make poor use of the touchscreen often ruin them. Kingdom Hearts looks pretty damned good once I gave it a chance, but the next game down on the rom list? Looks like SNES games from the 80s.

I was a giant fanboy up until the day I put in a PS1 game, Parasite Eve? And then Tecmo House of Darkness or something, the one where you're a demon and trap and kill people. It made the watercolor kid friendly palette look weak. The best games were Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Zelda, Pokemon Snap and Stadium, Mace the Dark Age, and um... hell I had over 100 games for it and those are the ones I can remember.

I was raised on Nintendo. I had every game and watch they made. My like 2nd-4th real video games ever were NES games. (Super Mario, Final Fantasy 1, and Dragon Warrior 1) But since the N64 on, the games have been super childish, mostly short, lacking decent story, and shitty graphics. The only exceptions to this are usually when Nintendo remakes it's key franchise titles for the 3280732807328th time. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metriod, do not a system make. They usually do put some effort into those games though, I'll give them that.

Really other then their shitty games that pisses me off about Nintendo is, they've got the balls to try new stuff (rumble packs and motion sensing in the fucking N64 and Gameboy ftw), but they usually don't. They stick to the same few games, the same ideas behind them, and the same gameplay.

Wii motion controls? Awesome old idea brought back from the Powerglove days when that shit failed haaaard. Paired with good games and even halfway decent graphics and some games geared at adults, it would of been awesome.

Instead? You get a glorified TV remote with an extra led and an accelerometer, and worst or barely better graphics then the previous generation's Gamecube, with a whole fuck of cartoony kid friendly games. The thing has sold so well, because let's face it, anything Nintendo makes is going to sell well, and if it's got something new, it's going to sell HUGE.

Kinect looks like it's going to be awesome and revolutionize the way we use the consoles. Scanning in your body for chat room talks with other folks digitized in full body (yeaaaahhhh parental control that shit fast) and Move is pretty damned impressive as well, even with the dildo wand. I've played plenty of Wii games that had me ready to chuck the remote at the TV, bowling, tennis and golf games stand out as the worst, and yet games on the Move are fucking insane. I'm not a fan of PS3 at all, but I can respect the technology they're using and the work put into it, it's more then a sensor bar picking up LEDs they got on sale from a universal tv remote yard sale.

And if you think Nintendo is the best, you really got to play some PC games before the console invasion fucked up most pc games into half assed short console styled ports.

~

tl;dr Yes they pissed in my cheerio's by letting me down. I keep expecting better of them. The 3DS, assuming they can break their habit of making a new DS every fucking year, and it has games that actually USE the touchscreen, might win me back some.

16. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Close to release bump.

For the UK people; Tesco have confirmed that they will be selling the 3DS for £157.60

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-8270.aspx

25th March 2011

UK launch titles:

Pilotwings Resort
    Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever
    Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog
    Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle
    Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
    The Sims 3
    PES 2011 3D
    LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
    Ridge Racer 3D
    Super Monkey Ball 3D
    Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
    Asphalt 3D
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D
    Rayman 3D

17. Heleor

So... actual release.

I just bought my 3DS today. Got three games for it based on early reviews - Street Fighter, Pilotwings, and I also got Shadow Wars on a whim.

Street Fighter looks very polished, and is pretty fun to play. The noob-friendly touchscreen moves are useful, but don't overpower the game. Positive rating.

Pilotwings is cartoony and fun... I guess. I beat the earliest missions and honestly didn't play it anymore. Meh rating.

Shadow Wars, I'm surprised to say, is fucking amazing. It's a combination of Fire Emblem and Advance Wars - a turn based strategy RPG about some conflict between Russia and the US - the story is probably the weakest part. You control a team of (up to) 6 unique units each of which have different weapons and abilities. Cover and elevation contributes to the amount of damage you do, and units can fire back and support their team mates even when they're not supporting. If anyone gets any launch title, it should be this.

18. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

It's too bad I'm out of thumbs.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly on Nintendo as a whole.

As to the 3DS-I doubt I'll be buying it. 3D movies are a trigger for my migraines, I don't want to imagine gaming on a 3D display. I might borrow a friend's (or pick it up used a two years down the road), if only because the DS lineup generally has some pretty strong RPGs, but I doubt it.

I'll probably just pick up an emulator like I did for the newest pokemon games.

19. Midknight

I played Pilotwing for quite awhile today while I was at Best Buy waiting for my kids to get done.

[​IMG]

I mean... really? Kid Icarus looks pretty badass, but what I've seen so far mostly screen cinematic and not actual gameplay, but even so, this looks like crap. I won't even bother to go into a drawn out rant about how here's yet ANOTHER remake of a game they've been beating off with for so long their hands are raw.

The 3d effect turned all the way up looked like crap, I couldn't focus on it right, and no one else I saw could either from what they said. Turned down halfway it pops alittle, but by no means jumps out or even looks that good. I had to focus on the center of the screen, and the illusion of depth worked, but it wasn't that noticeable and I forgot about it quickly, until I tried to look around on the screen and most of it was slightly out of focus until I stared back at the center. At around 10 minutes I had some nasty focusing issues and said screw it and put it down before I got a headache.

And yet the games look like shit. Street Fighter looks better then normal for a Nintendo title, and even then it's still subpar for what I'd expect.

20. Heleor

Also, Kid Icarus is actually pretty fun. I got to play it 2 weeks ago. The 3D effect actually helps, unlike Pilotwings, which actually is painful to me as well.

They haven't shown any Kid Icarus cinematics from what I'm aware - the trailers I've seen all showed gameplay.