1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Volume the Third

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Aug 11, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Darkly Dreaming Harry updated again and I really like this one. A lot.

Harry melts some of Snape's face and his entire left hand off by 'accidentally' knocking over a cauldron full of a half-exploding potion and setting up a tripwire of his own shoes and a shoe-tying charm so that he falls face first into it. Doubt Snape is going to die (he's too good at being who he is to die like that), but he's almost certainly not going to teach again. Score one for Psycho!Harry!)

2. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

It was a nice chapter.

Harry Potter is dead though. Dumbledore is going to know that the "accident" was no accident and I can't even imagine what he would do.

3. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

This is so disgustingly average - FF.net average, not ours. Simple is an apt description. There's nothing new here (hell, it retreads most of the same ground as the authors' other two Harry and Daphne stories). There's next to no conflict to speak of. It's one of those saccharine, overly-fluffy fics that we've all read a dozen times.

However, I did read almost all of it (I started skipping in later chapters as it increasingly felt I'd read it all before), so it isn't unreadable. But it firmly resides in the lower levels of this topic. It will take something magical to become something that isn't as forgettable as it currently is.

2/5.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It's pretty much the same shit that that author has already written 3 times himself and has taken from every other daphne story out there, to create something incredibly mediocre and boring. Then again, nearly every new Daphne story is the same thing over and over again.

5. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

That's why I liked that story with semi-retarded!comely!Daphne, if only for something different and (semi-)non-cliche

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Look man, I know I'm not a mod or anything, and I don't wish to be, but when you're talking about a story, don't link to the latest chapter. I was slightly intrigued by "Darkly Dreaming Harry" and then, after reading the 15th chapter, I was dismayed to find I had read the newest update rather than the Prologue as I had intended.

And now I have no will to read the rest of the story. If it was the greatest thing I'd ever read, maybe I would run back 14 chapters, but as is...

Granted I'm high as a bitch right about now, but I lost the will to read after that shit.

7. happilyeverafter

happilyeverafter Sixth Year

It's quite good to pass the time... The writing isn't bad and the plot quite good. But it does have some Dursley abuse and some unrealistic situations and Harry is quite super!Harry
    Harry is amazing at wandless magic, the Dursleys end up ignoring him and Harry is far too mature for his age.
    Apparently it's not going to be slash which is a plus.

8. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

You mean a story that has Daphne as a pure blood elitist bitch instead of her having a 'heart of gold' and her being miraculously in love with Harry for no apparent reason, and a Daphne that actually is a cunningly (yet not completely Mary Sue) ambitious and calculating bitch to break the normal 'Daphne-stereotype?'

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

's what I've been saying all the time, but somehow, most people don't agree. If over 9000 people try to write her that way, and over 9000 people fail at it, it's still not a cliché. What is cliché is the IceQueenBitch!But-after-mentioning-that-once-let's-forget-all-about-it!I'm-actually-nice!Daphne.

Daphne is not nice. Remember that simple fact and you're well on your way :p

Also, needs more bloodpurist!Daphne, damnit. *writes furiously*

10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Ice Queen cliche I can live with, though. Guilty pleasures.

11. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

My problem with a lot of these DG stories is that the writer usually never even tries to create some believable event that these 2 characters are able interact so it could lead to some relationship.

Snakecharmer is a good example for a story where the writer has the imagination to do it right. Too bad the story seems to be dead, a real pity.

12. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Not to worry Sesc, I've got you're back. I promise you'll enjoy chapter 16 of my story very much.

13. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

You tease.

14. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Just started this, and it's excellent so far - to the point that I'm surprised it's not in the library. Is the author on DLP or something? He seems to fit the profile...

15. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

He is. Name is pinstripe something or other. I think. Yes I would put this in the library. It is to good to be barely recommended.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  16. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

PinstripedPyjamas IIRC.

I've been following this for a while now and the use of the second person perspective is ideal for this kind of character.

I honestly don't see how he is going to get away with hi latest murder though. It's pretty easily traced. But if he doesn't get caught then I sure as hell won't be complaining.

17. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

You bastard >.>

Just think, thats 19 more words that you could've had for the next chapter ;)

18. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

22 if you count contractions.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Alrighty folks, let's see how poorly this goes over.

Living with Danger & the three sequels

See, I always assumed that this had been submitted to the library, found wanting, and rejected. But I checked that thread the other day that lists all the crap that got thrown out, and this isn't listed.

Personally I think it's worthy of the recycling bin, but after much debate I decided to pop it in here first. It's probably already been in one of these "almost recommended" threads, because I know I've read a reference to it here before, but damned if I can find it.

I'd personally like to toss it over into For Review at some point soon if there are at least a couple of people who don't think it's utter shit, but just in case it's already been there and I missed it somehow, tossing it in here.

Basics? Lupin and Sirius end up with Harry when he's young along with various OCs.

A few minor spoilers?
    Lupin's girlfriend is Hermione's older sister, so Hermione is Harry's 'sister' growing up. Sirius ends up with Draco once they get him out of Azkaban because Narcissa decides Lucius is a dickbag. They have a big happy family until the next book when the kids are all old enough to pop off to Hogwarts.

What's wrong with it? A lot of things. My biggest problem, and it's a big one, with this series is that... there's just so much crap in it that doesn't need to be there to make the story work.

For instance, the author writes a good Harry once he gets old enough to actually play the protagonist. He's a natural leader, powerful for his age, and fun.

But instead of working with those qualities she also has him with powers of fire gifted by Godric Gryffindor, a magic necklace that does all kinds of weird shit, astral projection abilities, a secret hide-out inside Hogwarts, and on personal terms with most of the children of the original Founders (even if via dream-world).

WTF? That's the gist of it -- the stories (especially the later ones, the first one focused a bit too much on lovey-dovey family stuff) could just as easily be written without a lot of the extraneous OP/weird plot devices that get added. So they like to sleep on the floor together once a month for tradition? Fine. I can see that within the confines of the story. But do they have to call themselves a pack and nominate an Alpha as well? No, they shouldn't.

And I think if you took all of that extra weird stuff out, you'd find that the characters and plots could stand on their own and end up with some good stories. Because this author's characters don't need all that to shine. Putting it there just irks me and strikes me as sloppy.

The OCs are generally well done and not Mary Sues at least, but then one of them does have prophetic powers, so eh.

It gets a 3/5 from me, at least until I re-read it, because despite the issues I did enjoy it and keep up with it. I just can't get into it like I wish I could with all the weird stuff always popping up.

I'm sure some of you have read them already and can offer your thoughts, but if you haven't... well, I "almost recommend" it to you.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  20. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I read a great deal of it about...3 or so years ago. I remember it being a long, engrossing read (I was at the stage where I ignored WIPs in favor of completed fics). Eventually, though, I got tired of all the lovey-dovey pack stuff that you mentioned and put it aside with the intention of completing it at some point in the future. That never happened, though; I think my stopping point was somewhere in the middle of Dealing with Danger.

IIRC this story had Sirius as Valentina Jet the author, right?

I, too, would probably give it a 3/5; it's dated enough that I could never give it anything higher right now. Maybe 3 years ago I would have been amenable to a 4.

In sum:

This pretty much expresses my feelings on the matter and why I stopped reading it.

Not open for further replies.