1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Sorry for the slight necro, but can someone sell me on this? From the little bit I've read, I can tell its well written, but it also seems that Harry is still very much a kid. Which, for the purposes of believability etc. is, of course, a good thing. However, one of my least favorite things to read about is child-like Harry.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The fourty-five pages of discussion and five star rating aren't enough for you to give it a chance?

It's one of the best fics in the fandom. Sold.

3. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Character progression, son. Each year builds on the other. We get taken on a magical journey into how Harry becomes a badass dark wizard.

As Ice Cube once said, "Checkity check yo'self before you wreck yo'self."

4. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Ok, well, I took the proverbial plunge and read it straight through. Blew about 5 hours or so in the process. I'm happy to say that both of the above posters were completely correct, and the story garners no less then a 5/5 from me.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  5. Rook

Rook Squib

That is your personal preference and shouldn't be taken out on the fic.

____

And since you've necro'd the thread already, I might as well bite.

Grindelwald need not make any more appearance in the fic. Harry strikes me as a history buff here, so any influence by Grindelwald can be from second-hand sources. Santi also made a deal about his mark engraved all over Durmstrang. He may be setting out a scenario where Harry will try to learn more about him. Harry may also try his hand on removing those marks (which can mean either breaking free from Grindelwald's shadow and making himself different from him, or surpassing him by removing him from the picture altogether and taking up his mantle).

I'm thinking we would be seeing Harry's Patronus and Animagus form on his 5th year Charms and Transfiguration final project. But what I really want to know is his Dark Arts project. I want to see him blow Rosier's mind with awesomeness.

6. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

True, it shouldn't. But I very much doubt you can find someone who can vote on something without their personal preferences coloring the vote, even if it is only to a small extent. Such as half a point...

However, point taken. The post in question has been edited.

7. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Personal preference is an important thing.

I'm not going to give a 5/5 to a Snape/Harry romance just because it's well written.

8. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

That's missing the point, though. It all depends on whether dey1234 liked this particular fic enough that he didn't experience his usual distaste for a childlike Harry.

If he still experienced a little distaste, but enjoyed it in spite of that, then it would be fine take his personal preference into account.

In other words, if for some inexplicable reason Rehio comes across a Harry/Snape story that he just loves, it wouldn't make sense for him to downgrade it just because he hates all other Harry/Snape stories. UNLESS, of course, he felt distaste for it but was able to get over it enough that he was still able to enjoy it.

9. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Words can hurt, you know.

Yeah, I understand that. When I read it, though, I guess I just took the meaning as a "put preferences aside and vote only on mechanics" type of thing.

10. Docker

Docker Third Year

Okay; if we find a very well written Snape/Harry story that is worth five stars; lets put it in for review here. I think the reactions would be interesting; even if it's the best thing fan fiction has ever seen, I don’t doubt the fact there would be protests. Being honest, how many of you would put time into a fic like that? I admit I once came across a very well written Snape/Harry/Draco story, and even though the writing was brilliant; I could not get past the third chapter. Personal taste equals quality on fan fiction. The proof is that there are so many stories out there that are filled with unbelievable characters, plot holes, grammar and spelling mistakes; but still have hundreds of positive reviews.

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

If I came across a Harry/Snape rec, I wouldn't read it.

If I did, and it was as good as the OP believed, I would rate it as it should be, and include something like "despite being Harry/Snape." It's not that a pairing, by itself, makes a story bad, but typically the authors who highlight certain pairings also have a number of things missing from their story (like, y'know, an actual plot).

12. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

This is, along with THoT (and a possible sequel to TLIL), one of the stories which make me get a little excited every time I see I have an email from FF. I have never read another story in which Harry heads off to a different magical school that is even in the same league as this. Brilliantly balanced and thought-out, and, thankfully, doesn't fall into any of the pitfalls associated with non-BWL!Harry. Fantastic! 5/5

13. silverlasso

I'm assuming TLIL is "The Lie I Lived" by jbern, but what is THoT?

14. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Guessing The Heartlands of Time?

15. silverlasso

Man, I was just about to edit my post saying something to that effect. Anyways, yeah, that's probably right.

Also, am I the only one who has yet to read Wastelands/Heartlands?

16. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

I've read wastelands. Have yet to start Heartlands. I'll get to it sometime, but not any time soon.

17. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

@silverlasso: You're not alone.

18. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

You are both heretics and ought to be burnt at the stake. :mad:

:p

19. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Yeah seriously, wtf are you two waiting for?

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Wastelands is the best example what happens when someone who should write his own Epic (yes, Epic with a capital 'E') fantasy book, decide to write HP fanfic instead. Seriously, read it now.

On the other topic - it seems speed of updates slowed down. For some time we had a new part of the chapter every two weeks and now it's almost month without anything. You spoiled us Santi and now you make us wait. ;)

Not open for further replies.