1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

We've already seen Harry modify a Switching Spell, so I doubt we'll see that again unless modifying pre-existing spells becomes Harry's shtick. Also, the Patronus has already been modified by Dumbledore, albeit secretly.

2. Docker

Docker Third Year

True, kind of like what Harry did with the Polyjuice Potion last year; that seemed to tick Nathan off. The Sorting Hat did say that Harry wanted to be better than his brother, or something along those lines. Harry finding small ways to undermine Nathan's accomplishments over the years could be very amusing and might lead to bigger rivalries between the two as they get older.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I can see that. It would be very frustrating for Nathan if he thought that for once he can do something that Harry can't, only to discover that his brother not only knows this spell, but can do it even better.

4. Docker

Docker Third Year

Harry could get frustrated if he finds out that Nathan knows something he does not, which could throw him into learning and perfecting the spell as quickly has he can. He could even change it, make it better in some way. He might even use it as his spell creation project.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As long as he doesn't create a solid 20 foot tall golden patronus of love that could kill Lucifer.

6. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

This Harry doesn't seem the type that would have the whole 'golden patronus of love' aspect going on. More the type that tries to impress Calypso and her family by creating, say... a negative emotion fueled patronus as his Dark Arts project. Perhaps instead of driving Dementors away, it sucks them in, or something. Who knows.

7. Celestin

You know, for some reason this sentence gave me an idea of Harry Potter fic where wizards would fight with each other using their solid 20 foot patronuses.

8. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

It would be way cooler if Harry's 'Dark Patronus' created a Dementor-like aura of despair, which could be pretty damn useful in a duel.

I don't think this will actually happen, but it's cooler than a 20 foot tall golden patronus of love.

Edit:

I was just considering this a bit, and it actually would kind of make sense for Harry to modify the Patronus Charm. I mean, Harry just spent the entire summer learning Occlumency, and what aspect of it does The Santi stress? Emotional control.

We know from Harry's Dark Arts class that emotions obviously play a large role in certain types of magic. It's not too much of a stretch to think that Harry would apply what he learned in DA to the charm.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

is what would come of it.

10. Harvest King

Harvest King Third Year

The dark patronus has been done before. Both attracting dementors and creating an aura of despair have been done before. I hope it is never done again. I was thinking if he does something with the patronus charm then maybe it will be more along the lines of another magical discovery. Perhaps, something to do with the animal form that the patronus takes or something that makes casting the charm easier.

Wouldn't that be a bitch? You spend all term learning the patronus charm only to find that your brother just wrote a paper with yet another amazing magical discovery this time about the patronus charm.

11. Phantom of the Library

I've actually never heard of a story using this, but I generally avoid the Dark Arts section and anything that could end up in the Almost Recommended thread, so I've been pretty insulated to overused cliches.

I still think The Santi could pull it off. I mean, many of us think Harry/OC and immediately turn our nose up in distaste, but he's handling that well.

I think I just kind of like the idea of Harry 'corrupting' arguably the most Light-sided spell in canon, and him not even seeing a problem with it. To quote the story:

So, while Harry would see it as just any other magic, Nathan would probably flip shit over it.

Not saying he should do it, but he probably could if he wanted to.

But yeah, it was just an offhand idea. Not married to it or anything.

12. Docker

Docker Third Year

I would love to see Nathan's reaction to that.

Not only outdoing his brother, but making the spelll darker. That would be so much fun to read.

If he somehow finds a way to suck dementors in it would take a hell of a lot of control and probably a lot of emotion- most likely negative.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  13. Harvest King

Harvest King Third Year

That is something I've never seen before. A patronus that sucks a dementor inside of it thereby containing it if only for a period of could allow a person to direct the dementor's effect towards your enemies. It is an interesting concept.

I wonder how the patronus charm works though. Do dementors feed on happy memories or negative memories? If they feed on happy memories a patronus with a strong enough happy memory would work by essentially overloading their feeding process. Conversely, if they are bringing forth negative memories in order to feed off of them since they are creatures created by despair then a patronus would work by blocking negative emotions with an overpowering feeling of happiness leaving dementors with nothing to feed off of and therefore sustain themselves.

If the last option is the case, then the spell could perhaps be modified to destroy dementors. A sufficiently powerful happy memory could be used to deprive the creature of the very thing that keeps it alive. Then it would just be a matter of modifying the spell to trap the dementor from the rest of the world long enough for it to starve to death due to lack of negative emotion.

Such a spell would most likely be limited to a small number of dementors at a time or perhaps only one, but it is an interesting thought. Given how dementors are created it would seem like this would be the case, but far be it from JKR to make sense, and I can't remember if the feeding habits of dementors are mentioned in the books.

Edit: Even if you can't destroy it, I wonder if you could combine it with one of those receptacles to create a more lasting defense for a building, or a way to prevent them from ever leaving a certain area such as an island...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  14. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

No.

Just no.

15. Celestin

If there is one thing by which you can recognize poor godlike!Harry fics, it's the moment when he starts destroying Dementors. Of course there are exceptions (like Joe), but a nine times out of ten, it's like early warning that fic will become unreadable in a few chapters.

Let Dementors be Dementors (and immortal). It's not like they are really that badass anyway, considering that they had their asses kicked by canon third year Harry ;) .

16. Harvest King

Harvest King Third Year

Yes, I know that...I wasn't talking about an instant kill though. More of a long drawn out starving a dementor to death kind of thing. Not a quick death by any means...I wonder how long it would take for Hermione to start sending dementors care packages? :awesome

17. Metanor

Metanor Muggle

I think you re making Nathan a big idiotic Ronish type of person (yh I know he has big influence on him). Anyhow about patronus when harry actually hear about this type of magic he will try to learn it but I doubt he will go on with it especially as a project for the dark arts unless it will indeed create an aura of despair around...But please dont make it golden patronus that can kill dementors<,<.
    Regardless of what I wrote before that would be awesome to see rly

18. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Hehe. Yoshi patronus.

19. Phantom of the Library

Thumbs Up from The Santi

Well, I guess that answers that.

20. BF1110C4

BF1110C4 Squib

What if he destilates the Patronus, removing the emotional component so that things like happy memories are not needed when crafting the spell, but can be added after, using the pensieve memories as a catalysis. Things like that could be casted by more wizards, or use the memories of more than one wizard. Or they could be corrupted with things like dark memories to grow into empatic vampirical constructs like Dementors.

Or he could go for a mastery in Care of Magical Creatures by studing the origins of the dementors themselves

Not open for further replies.