1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I had my doubts, but this proves that Santi is still reading this thread, even after all these meaningless posts. :)

Now, that has a potential to be a quite interesting subplot for academic education of Harry, if done right.

2. Harvest King

Harvest King Third Year

Speaking of academics, I wonder if Harry will be pressured for a repeat performance? He set the bar very high early on in the story. I'm excited to see where the Santi will be taking Harry's magical education from here.

3. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The only things that can kill dementors are things both more ancient and more insanity-inducing. This limits dementor killers to Nyarlathotep, Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth, Cthulhu, Hastur, and Wastelands!Harry.

4. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

Dementors are more or less solid, aren't they ?
    So keeping them confined shouldn't be the problem.
    (closed rooms, heavy weights around the neck etc. etc.)

IMO the most obvious way to destroy a dementor is to us Fiendfire.
    The way it's portrayed, it's apparently the most destructiv (wizard-)force.
    Coupled with it's extrem difficulty to control and it's rather dark backround, it could explain why Voldemort was seemingly able to control them without effort.

A different question.
    What happens when a dementor gets crushed ?
    Is it just horribly disfigured and unable to move, thus in danger of "starving" ?
    Or...can it regenrate ? :confused:

Edit: If a dementor is near, it's getting cold, right ? ergo fire

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  5. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

Well, the best explanation is that JK Rowling went and ripped a giant plot-hole in the space-time continuum by making dementors "immortal", not providing any methods of destroying them in canon, and by making them able to breed. So anything that could possible destroy them in fanfiction will be AU/fanon.

6. Harvest King

Harvest King Third Year

Well, I'm not entirely sold on dementors being solid. Muggles can't see them, they are created from areas containing large amounts of despair (iirc), and they attack thoughts and the soul. They don't actually make the area cold that is just a side effect of their attack on your mind. They seem capable of moving objects but so can peeves even though he is perfectly capable of going through walls.

If is was as easy to defeat them as applying a bit of fire any wizard could do it. I believe I read an interview from JKR where she said there will always be dementors in the world because there will always be dementors because there will always be despair which seems to indicate that the number of dementors "living" is dependent upon the overall state of happiness in the world.

On another note, I just reread this story looking for hints and clues about what might be coming in the future for Harry when I stumbled upon this: "Either way, only three professors have ever tried to remove the marks, and they've all committed suicide not a week after they started working to remove them."

I, personally, would love to see Harry figure out a way to remove those marks before he graduates. It'd make for a hell of a final project...could span multiple classes (charms and dark arts maybe even transfiguration). It would be a feat truly worthy of a wizard of his caliber. Not to mention it might give Harry a reason to go talk to a certain down and out dark lord.

7. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

PoA: One dementor was able to lift Harry with its hand on his neck.
    While it might have been for dramatic effect, it still happened.
    Plus, what would keep them from going from house to house kissing countless people.
    ---
    Muggles can't see a dragon! Does that make it less solid ?
    ---

The whole point of "natrual immortility" irks me for obvious reasons.
    What happens if you throw Fawkes through the Viel of Death ?
    Basilisk venom destroys a piece of a soul ?

8. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Muggles can see dragons, their memories are just modified later. It's stated pretty clearly in one of JK's add-on books (Quidditch through the ages or that one by Newt Scammander) that one flew over a city once a few decades ago, and that there are still muggles talking about it in bars to this day.

Also, Phantom, while I'm not one to talk, use spellcheck.

9. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

I never bothered to read them.
    Are they canon ?

10. Docker

Docker Third Year

I'm pretty sure they are, I believe they were mentioned in the books or movies a few times. Although it's not really relevant.

11. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Dear noobs,

That is an old question on this forum. If you want DLP's opinion on the topic, then a good place to start would be Taure's "What Do You Count As Canon?" thread.

12. Harvest King

Harvest King Third Year

Did you even read my comment about Peeves? You know he can go through walls and still pick up and throw things right? As for what stops them from going into muggle houses and killing them, I would imagine it is the same thing that stops them from attacking random wizards. In case you don't know, it is the ministry. They are sort of under control.

As for natural immortality, it doesn't matter if it annoys you since it is canon. I'm not sure where you got that muggles can't see dragons idea. Nowhere was it stated that muggles can't see any magical creatures. I'm pretty sure it is just certain creatures like dementors.

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Regarding the Dementors' corporeality, don't forget they also had to open the train carriage door to get their freak on with Harry. So definitely solid.

14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Was the freezing effect of the Dementors on the environment just an effect of the movie? It's not canon?

15. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

It's only in the movie, but it was a cool enough effect that I consider it canon.

16. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

In response to your points, telekinesis is possible, a Peeve's like movement aspect is possible, it's possible they have Kitty Pride's powers, and so on.

Nothing stops them from going to house to house kissing people. That's kinda what makes them so fucking scary. Though they do appear to have a certain amount on intelligence, so it's possible they would use humans as livestock. Slow controlled slaughter with time allotted for breeding.

Muggles can see dragons, that's part of the reason most are restricted to reserves. And the main reason why most cultures have a type dragon myth in the HP universe.

He disappears most likely, given that the Veil act's like a portal or a form of disintegration. It's also possible that he'd just teleport out, but I can't recall if the teleporting is explicitly stated to be canon or if it may have been Harry simply not pay attention in CoS. I also don't have access to the supplements JK put out.

That's fanon from what I know, I imagine the soul simply contained by the diary, which was in turn spelled to be fairly immune to most things. It's possible the Horcrux imbues protection in the thing it resides in, but it's far more likely and logical, that it's simply spelled to be nearly invulnerable and that the basilisk fang simply was magically powerful enough to destroy the cunting thing. At least, that's what I recall and believe, though I presume someone is likely going to correct me on this.

Also, are you typing most of this on a cell phone man, it's difficult to get worse than myself at grammar.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  17. Rook

Rook Squib

Yey! But it would be really nice if it is done within the context of the story. It can be made into a "dueling style influence" of sort. We know from canon that Dumbledore likes using indirect spells against his enemies (charms, transfigurations, elemental control such as water and fire), while dark wizards seem to have a penchant for the direct and lethal. It would be nice if we see Harry adopting one kind of style over the other - and tell something about how he will turn out to be.

18. greywizard-dumblemort

greywizard-dumblemort Fourth Year

I think you're forgetting that, fundamentally, magicand magical creatures are what's in question here. A dementor interacting with physical things doesn't necessarily mean its solid in the traditional sense of the word, in the same way that a poltergeist, unlike regular ghost, can interact with the physical world despite being non-corporeal.

As for what would keep them from going house to house kissing people, well, certainly not solidity. I don't imagine a dementor would fly into a neighborhood only to turn away disappointed upon realising its filled with doors, walls, windows and other physical barriers. Being solid certainly doesn't stop burglars and the like. Why would it stop something capable of being completely invisible (to muggles), flight, causing utter despair and soul stealing.

The Ministry of magic has a way to keep them under control-as evidenced by them guarding Azkaban, being ordered to places like Hogwarts and to the pursuit of Sirius Black.

Muggles can see Dragons, dragons are hidden from muggles on preserves- probably using charms in a manner similar to the way Hogwarts is hidden from muggles coupled with memory modifications.

If natural immortality is a peeve of yours that's perfectly acceptable, just don't expect any story not written by yourself to necessarily conform to this ideal. If the veil really causes death then its possible Fawkes would simply be 'reborn' on the other side of it, wherever that is and either be trapped their forever or escape using its unique form of travel.

As for the Basilisk venom thing, I always thought of it more as destroying the Horcrux than destroying the soul. The Horcruxes served as anchors keeping Voldemort from 'passing on' so the actual pieces of soul didn't really need to be destroyed for Voldemort's final defeat- they just needed to be released from the objects tying them and Voldemort to the living world.

---------- Post automerged at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Also, Santi, great chapter!

I'd thought at first that the reasoning Calypso gave Harry felt a bit flimsy but I've come to realise that its flimsy to an impossibly jaded fanfiction reader but it fits for the characters involved in the story.

Rosier's gift was an excellent choice- not only was it very in character for himself that he would try to stoke the fire in Harry after seeing the extent of his potential, but it was also a good move plot-wise to push Harry's development further . What better way to do that than to have him witness magic in hands of true masters.

As a few people mentioned, seeing a bit more of Grindlewald later on would be icing on the cake so I'm glad you've decided to do more with that.

19. Hoshiakari

Hoshiakari Second Year

And what about part of LV´s soul that suddenly decided to anchor itself to Harry after its original anchor (body of Voldemort) was destroyed ?

That would imply that you have to destroy soul itself otherwise it can latch on other creatures (possibly even objects) in its vicinity.

But other parts of soul in Horcruxes did not try this trick.:confused:

20. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

That's because of Love.

Yeah, I know.

Not open for further replies.