1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest King

Harvest King Third Year

You are incorrect. Voldemort's soul was unstable, and he crated a bastardized horcrux. The piece of soul from Voldemort's body was capable of existing on its own because of the other horcruxes so it fled to be seen again in first year. Horcuxes are not capable of doing this as the piece left in Voldemort's body is not technically speaking a horcrux.

2. greywizard-dumblemort

greywizard-dumblemort Fourth Year

I might be wrong, but wasn't it suggested that Voldemort came to the Potters' house intending to create another Horcrux at the site of his greatest thriumph?? I'm asking because I'm pretty sure this is canon but often canon ideas get mixed up with fanon.

Anyways, if ^this^ is the case then it could serve to partially explain what happened. Remember that in order to create a Horcrux one first has to sever ones soul through murder- which Voldemort accomplished with the murder of Harry's parents that night. Voldemort's soul would then already have been in two peices before he cursed Harry. Any number of things could thereafter have gone wrong once his killing curse rebounded and the two peices of soul found themselves disposessed of a body. Furthermore, he unwittingly forged a connection between Harry and himself and that could serve to explain why the piece of soul ultimately latched on to Harry.

We don't know much else about the preparations necessary to create a soul container after having severed your soul so all I can do at this point is speculate unfortunately.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Much as boom flash boom spell tossing is nice to read, the indirect fighting style, if done right, can be awesome beyond imagination, and has way more potential than direct curse-tossing fighting.

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

So where did you guys get your degrees in wizardry?

5. Harvest King

Harvest King Third Year

Taure's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. :awesome

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That degree come in the post?

7. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

Hi, I wanted to say that I really like your story and you are my new god and I m created a new religion to venerate you and all the usual stuff...

I also want to share a little idea about a Charms Project that I heard and that I think would be cool. It's Portkey.... "Portkey? Go get lost!!". No please let me explain.

It's for Remus: as a werewolf he transforms every full moon, so no full moon= no transformation. So either you destroy the moon (would be a little extreme), or you find a shortcut so obvious that you'll want to launch your head into a wall: the moon rotates around Earth, it means that when the moon is full in England, it's not in Japon for exemple. So for the Charms Project, Harry could create some kind of a multiple Portkey that would take Remus to several locations all around Earth every full moon and because his inner wolf won't feel the moon, he won't transform into a werewolf.

Anyway... I submit my idea and let you debate about that.

8. Catman

Catman DA Member

While admittedly that would be a simple fix at face value, it really is too much like a deus ex machina. It's just another plot hole, because you are right, a "full moon" wholly depends where you are on the earth and your perspective of the moon. More likely than not, Harry will do some simple enchanting bit, as he has expressed interest in it so far in the story. Maybe making the Wolfsbane Potion for Potions, or just an outright Portkey for charms, as I do remember McGonagall saying in an earlier chapter that it was beyond Newt level. Maybe that means it's too hard, but who knows.

9. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's not really the "perspective" that changes, it's just whether you can actually see the moon at all, i.e. whether it's day or night. So yes, in effect staying in daylight for 24 hours would allow one to escape the werewolf curse. Not a very elegant solution, but possibly practical. That said, it's a pretty easy plot hole to close.

10. Docker

Docker Third Year

Sirius knows how make them, and I'm sure he would be willing to give Harry advice for a project like that; but maybe not for another year or two. I would love to see him make them, because according to the story it's not entirely legal to make a Portkey without a permit from the goverment- which could show Harry is starting to ignore the rules more and more.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  11. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

Last night I had a dream about this story. Creepy.

12. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    But Harry so far has shown that he does, in fact, respect rules, has he not? He certainly scolds his brother when he gets in trouble for breaking them.:whipped:

13. Docker

Docker Third Year

I don't think the rules are the things that really bother him; I think it's the fact that breaking the rules normally puts Nathan in danger. I don't think Harry really cares if Nathan breaks rules, just if he's being stupid with it.

He technically breaks the no underage magic rule at home all the time, even if his parents don't seem to mind- the govement still forbids it, they just found a loophole.

14. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I've always been a sucker for a genius Harry, but most fics either take it too far or just do a really bad job explaining things. The Harry in this fic could very well be the magical equivalent of Einstein if he continues making breakthroughs in magic theory, potions etc. Like Einstein revolutionized physics Harry could revolutionize some branches of magic, like transfiguration, potions or charms.

Look at it like this; magic in HP seems to be kind of stagnant in some places. In HBP, Harry has to use a potions textbook that is over 30 years old. The book is still in use 30 years later and it hasn't been changed so much that a new book is required. So, potions doesn't look as if it has changed a whole lot over the decades. I'm guessing the same can be said for some of the other subjects.

If Harry is going to change the Patronus charm at its base level I think he'd have to at least study Dementors up close. I doubt the Bulgarian Ministry or Durmstrang would give him a research grant for that no matter how smart he is because of his age (unless he can get a teacher in on it). Hell, those could be his Mastery tests for Charms and Magical Creatures, and he'd probably be published again for his research on Dementors. But like I said, I think the idea of him studying Dementor's at 13 is a tad overboard.

15. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

That doesn't mean anything. Most high school subjects (e.g. math, physics, chemistry) haven't changed enough such that a text from 30 years ago couldn't be used. I guess it's slightly odd that a newer, updated text isn't used for Potions, but it's not implausible.

16. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Sure, you can use a 30 year old math or chemistry/physics book and still learn Algebra and the atomic weight of oxygen from it because those things are basic knowledge and don't change. However, those books update every few years to incorporate new things.

I just find it hard to believe that not a single significant theory or new potion was invented that could have been added to the book. Snape came up with his ideas over three decades before book 1. Still, not a single person in the world could figure this shit out? It just seems like there's a lack of innovation in HP. Or rather a 'if it isn't broken don't fix it,' mentality. Not to say that line of thought is bad or anything.

Hell, everyone was amazed at the things Fred and George were making because they'd never seen anything like it. They were innovators, and in my opinion I think they themselves were geniuses (at least when it comes to inventing).

17. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

First of all, great job on the next chapter. I really like the way you are slowly splitting up the Potter family, and the ay Harry is slowly getting more comfortable at Dumstrang, than at home.

Calypso it seems, is a girl with quite a superiority complex, though lately it hasn't quite shined through.
    It is understandable that Calypso and Kira develops some sort of mutual understanding, ceasefire or truce, though without their fights, Calypso is also slowly beginning to look less hostile and more friendly towards the rest of her peers. It would be nice to see a scene, that flesh out it isn't only Harry that the students of the school fear, but also Calypso to a certain degree. Like her getting in trouble for cursing other students or perhaps her venting some frustrations on a group of 1-4 year students by yelling at them, scaring them.

When I read of those rumors of Harry, cursing some second year students, I couldn't help but not imagining how his parents would react if they ever visited the school, and learned of their son's reputation there; Most of the students are afraid of him, the next Dark Lord, etc. That would definitely be a scene worth writing if you could somehow fit it in somewhere.

^ This I think, pretty much sums up most of the wizarding world, at least in Great Britain.

I think the reason why there is so few new magics being developed, spells, potions, charms etc. (that we know of) is because spellcreation and the likes, is much more difficult than most think. You'd obviously have to be an exceptional intelligent wizard to make new discoveries that is actually ground breaking enough to be worth making into common knowledge for the general population.
    Like Dumbledore's and Flamel's twelve uses of dragonblood in potions.

Most other developments in magic I think most ancient families would simply horde and hide from the general population. After all, knowledge is power. If you develop some new amazing spell, why give / show it to your enemies? If that is true, a lot of useful spells might be created than we could possibly imagine, they are just not published.

18. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

They were wary of her even before Harry arrived to Durmstrang. She's a Rosier and a Dark Arts prodigy.

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Always remember, the Potions textbook was introduced in HBP. Thus, it is a gaping plothole in itself and should be regarded as such and left alone.

20. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

That is true, though I still feel this point could be emphasized more in their later years aswell. It certainly wouldn't hurt the story to see her acting more wile / impatient / superior and /or aggresive towards others aswell, and not only Kira.

It sometimes feels like she only has a problem with Kira and not any other of her peers, and I do not believe that is what Santi has in mind.

When Harry becomes a powerful dark wizard, it would seem logical that people will try to use him to their own advantage. Calypso should know this due to her upbringing, and if she is going to marry him, she can not appear to have any flaws or be his weak point / weakness.

It would be great to see Calypso trying to manipulating Harry into different situations, where he will have to defend himself or end up as the aggressor, instead of having him trying to avoid confrontations.

It would also be great, Santi, to see you bring in some more OC's at this point. Perhaps by expanding Harry's circle of friends a little, or simply by having him become more familiar with some of the other Dumstrangs students.

Well, that was my 50c, hopefully you can use some of the ideas or at least some of the feedback.

Not open for further replies.