1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Tellie571

Tellie571 First Year

I don't really think Santi needs me complimenting his story, it has after all been done by persons with much greater grasp of the written word than I. But as I was killing some time re-reading the story up to it's latest entry here I noticed something..or noticed the lack of something to be precise.

I have found no mention of Harry OR Nathan receiving James' invisibility cloak. Have I missed out on something? Did Nathan get the cloak? Did James keep it? If Nathan got it I would find it strange considering that the cloak is to be given to the firstborn whether it be a boy or girl, and I'd like to think that James wouldn't give the cloak to Nathan just because he is TBWL...so anyone wiser than me know the answer to my questions (hint hint Santi) or have anyone else discovered and wondered the same discrepancy that I have.

BTW: Keep up the good work Santi, I'll be waiting for your next installment with baited breath

2. Harvest King

Harvest King Third Year

I don't suppose you have something other than sheer fanon conjecture to support your claim that it should go to the oldest? It could be given to either one of them for a variety of reasons, or James could keep it for himself.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Don't you know that fanon is the only right kind of canon? ;)

4. Tellie571

Tellie571 First Year

You might be right, but considering that the cloak belongs to a Potter and have belonged to the potters for some time (most likely) one has to assume that it would go to the firstborn as it was a PEVERELL who first made the cloak and then passed it on to his son...so assuming that the Potters didn't steal the cloak or that the Peverells decided to change their name all of a sudden then I think my point about it going from firstborn to firstborn has some merit...don't you?

and while talking about fanon most fics where strong fanon ideas come from are so filled with clichés that I avoid reading them...come to think of it I can't recall any fic where it has been directly mentioned that the cloak passes from firstborn to firstborn, simply canon and my own conclusions have given me that impression.

5. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

I don't. If it's been the "Potter" family for many generations, that just suggests it was given to sons, not necessarily firstborn sons.

Besides, even if it had been traditionally passed down to the firstborn son, there's nothing stopping James from breaking tradition. He seems like the type that wouldn't give a damn about tradition. Since Nathan is the Boy Who Lived and doesn't have the magical knowledge/ability Harry does, James might figure Nathan needs all the extra protection he can get.

Either James has kept it, or he's given it to Nathan and hasn't told Harry.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  6. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Um, wouldn't the fact that the cloak was first owned by a Peverell and was inherited by a Potter completely destroy that stupid theory?

And why you're assuming that every generation of the Potter/Peverell family tree produced a male, I have no idea.

7. Tellie571

Tellie571 First Year

What I meant is that since a Peverell first owned the cloak a Potter must either have stolen it, or a Peverell GIRL must have married into the Potter family or another family and continued from there, we after all don't know how many times purebloods have married each other over and over again only that they have done so extensively.

And I certainly haven't said that the Potters/Peverells only produced male offspring.

8. Harvest King

Harvest King Third Year

This. Though there is always the possibility that it could have been given to a daughter that married, and had a husband who chose to take her last name.

Mind you, I think JKR may have put out an actual family tree at some point though as far as I know family trees don't indicate which person is first born. For all you know, it could be a family tradition to give it to the youngest family member since it was the youngest brother to get the cloak. I mean it could even have been given to the third born every time there were 3+ kids born to the family since three is a powerful magical number. None of this is relevant, however, because it is all just pure conjecture just like your first post was. It could have been given to the first son born with messy black hair for all we know. They are wizards, and as such, they hate logic as a principle.

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If Nathan could not have pulled off everything he's done so far without the help of the cloak, then you may have your answer. I'd have to re-read the fic to check every event, but if you're going to check for yourself, then here's a list of the times that Harry used the cloak in canon. It might help you. http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Cloak_of_Invisibility#Known_Uses

ORLY? I find baited breath to be a little on the nose.

10. Equinox

Equinox Seventh Year

Why does the cloak have to go to anyone? For all we know James gained it when he was a child due to special circumstances. James is also portrayed as a responsible parent. Why would he give either of his sons a tool that essentially encourages them to walk into potentially dangerous situations?

11. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Canon says it was passed down the youngest Peverall's family line and that the Potters are his descendants. I don't see why the Santi would change that.

Because it's a tool that could save their lives. A tool that could let them walk out of potentially dangerous situations.

But yeah, there's a chance he has kept it for himself.

12. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

It could also be a case of him not wanting to appear to be showing any favoritism. You give Nathan or Harry an old family heirloom like the cloak you better expect some jealousy from the one that didn't get it.

James would probably play it smart and just keep it for himself until Nathan and Harry are old and mature enough not to get into a fight over it. Part of me does like the idea that he gave the cloak to Nathan without telling Harry because he didn't want to upset him. It would make for some interesting story.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  13. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Since I've been in an especially good mood today (see this for one reason why), I'll say that the invisibility cloak will play a role in the story, but neither Nathan nor Harry has it yet. Look for it to start making appearances around fifth and sixth year.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread debate.

14. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

Cool, thanks for the minor spoiler that doesn't really spoil anything. Gives us something to look forward to.

15. Equinox

Equinox Seventh Year

True, but I was talking about James, not the Potters. We don't know how James came into possession of the cloak, for all we know he took it without his parents knowing.

I would think in just general usage of the cloak, the user, or at least Nathan would be more likely to walk into danger than out of it.

EvilSpanker's ideas make the most sense. The last one I would think is especially plausable. It could be some form of fail-safe to ensure when Nathan is out and about and at Hogwats, if something goes wrong he can at least have some chance of running.

16. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

James will sit them both down at some time, and explain their family legacy and the importance of the cloak to the family etc, and then offer it to Harry, who will smile, suddenly turn invisible and proclaim "I don't need no cloak, bitches." and proceed to be awesome.

17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

DO THIS.
    DO THIS.
    DO THIS.
    DO THIS.
    DO THIS.

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seriously, please do this. ^

That's absolutely amazing.

19. loot

loot Muggle

Thank you, was reading the responses and first person who actually seemed to not think they'd yank him back like a yo-yo. they might not like him learning the dark arts - which is understandable, but they aren't stopping him, they KNOW he is enjoying it there more and finally has friends. They also know he wouldn't be able to learn nearly as much and as fast at hogwarts as he can there.

20. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

10:43p ** (Aziraphale) The_Santi are you going to troll that girl from the WTF moments thread?
    * 10:43p ** (The_Santi) lol
    * 10:43p ** (The_Santi) Yea.

Not open for further replies.