1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I liked idea from one fic where Basilisk Venom and Phoenix Tears were constantly fighting in Harry's body. It gave him immunity to most poisons, but also it make him feel pain he needed to learn how to ignore it, so he could normally live.

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Sounds incredibly emo to me. "My every moment is pain! Only [insert bitch here] lets me forget the agony!"

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Maybe, but if I remember it right, Harry in this story mentioned it only one time and didn't make big deal of it (unlike others who heard him, but that beside the point).

4. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Hmm, makes sense, I suppose.

On the Fleur/Harry front, there are two new stories out there. One is called called 'Blinded' and the other 'Dormant Blood', but the former feels terribly unrealistic to me. The latter is chock full of horrid cliches.

Blinded: it's set during the Goblet of Fire, but the divergence started at the end of the Chamber of Secrets (mentioned in the back-history).

The trouble is that if the divergence was at the end of Harry's second year, the events seen leading up to the fourth year seen in this story (including third year with Sirius Black) would be completely different - butterfly effect, and all.

There's also the Harry/Fleur romance angle, which is basically what the story is wrapped around: it feels rushed and forced, even if I do see the 'being blind means that Harry can see the inner-Fleur' angle working if it's done correctly.

I do like the 'sisterly' thing that Harry has with Angelina, Katie, Hermione, etc, though. I don't think I've seen that sort of plot-device being used that much before.

Dormant Blood is a (gasp!) non-slash male!veela Harry storyline, although the cliches in it (slave-bonds, 'Ice Queen' Daphne etc) make you want to gag. On the plus side, it does offer a realistic explanation/back-history for veela in general, though, derived from what little known canon information there is.

There are also both minor and major divergence points within the story as well, most notably being the opening chapter, and the fact that Hermione believed that Harry did purposely put his name into the Goblet of Fire, unlike in canon events.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6468629/1/Blinded
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6454127/1/Dormant_Blood

5. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

I have to say, I dislike either.

Blinded is written by an author with no feeling for grammar, spelling, or when to appropriately end a sentence. I had to stop halfway through chapter 3.

Dormant Blood, I haven't yet read the first chapter, but the prologue didn't sound good for me. Meh... I'll read the first chapter sometime, and then we'll see. It does have one good point already though, it's chapter aren't only like 2000 words long.

If we are already proposing new promising Harry/Fleur fiction, I'd suggest 'House of Shards'. It's not long enough yet that I'd put it up for review, but as of right now it has an approach to H/F that I definitely haven't seen yet.

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

House of Shards has/is being discussed...uh, somewhere, I think.

Personally, I really dislike HoS: the reasoning for my dislike has already been echoed by other people...uh, somewhere else on the boards...

I think it has a dedicated topic, somewhere?

EDIT - the posts following this one: http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showpost.php?p=413179&postcount=254

House of Shards.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  7. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

You diss my rec, I diss yours.

Nahh, not really. I actually liked Dormant Blood. Or well, I should perhaps say that I did not dislike it. Cliches are all over the place and Veela!Harry is always a warning sign but it has a decent plot so far and the writing is not bad. A perfect fit for the almost recommended thread I guess.

On the other hand, Blinded was awful. Blind!Harry could be interesting but in this story it mostly serves so that Fleur will fall for him since he likes here not because of her looks. The plot is not this story's main problem though, the writing is atrocious and that's saying something coming from me.

8. Viper

Viper Fourth Year

Dormant Blood sounds uninteresting, frankly. Might pick it up sometime later.

As for Blinded, I lasted only six lines into the story.

I'm all for underdog tales, but I do not wish to read about a character who's physically challenged. I'd rather have a main who can see, thank you very much.

9. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Skip Dormant Blood, too. It reads like a poor man's Lie I've Lived.

10. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

This. Swim took away exactly what I was going to say. It's a cheap rip-off of many ideas of TLIL. The truly sad part about this story (now that I've read chp 1) is that those elements copied from jbern were the best. The only 'original' idea is that of the slave-bond, and I think we all know how original that is.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I stopped Dormant Blood right at the part where the dragon handlers and ministry officials, not to mention teachers and headmasters, rushed in to protect the children. Damsel in distress much?

12. Eliwar

Eliwar Squib

Hello everyone.

I do not often post on forums; however, I figured that since I have been lurking around this specific community for a couple months I thought I might add my thoughts to it.

The recent story, Blinded, by MWO, I found to be an interesting read at least.

The story needs to be fixed of it's MANY grammatical errors. There are instances where the sentences do not make sense because of poor word arrangement, and/or thought overlap by the author.

Fleur's French accent is rather atrocious and often I ended up thinking she was speaking like Krum, which was highly disturbing.

There was a nice amount of humor throughout the story, even if sometimes the moment was messed up or made awkward by a poor decision in dialogue (often happening when Hermione was involved I noticed, so perhaps it was intentional?).

I absolutely loved that Harry and Ron had a falling out in this story, I truly believe that Ron is always holding Harry back no matter if in canon or fanon, and the story clearly showed a logical outcome of that falling out which is that Harry finds a pseudo-family in his quidditch team mates, and Hermione.
    This made sense to me simply because I find it rather impossible that one could play a sport with a specific group of people, in this case for four years, and not become close with them, which was the case in canon and it frustrated me to no end.
    I did not like however that it seemed that Harry was constantly being slapped around by "the girls", no matter how close they were supposed to be in the story the sheer volume that they were doing it in such a rushed story just made it a focal point of their relationship and irked me a lot.

With all of that said I have a couple more things about the story to say. I really appreciated the relationship aspect of the story, between Harry and Fleur obviously.
    Their interactions brought nice scenes to my mind, especially when Fleur rushes to Harry at the end of the first task. I'm a rather romantic person, I love fluff, though not overly fluffy stories, so I found this story had a nice balance.

Finally, for the most important aspect of the story, whether the story shows Harry kicking ass or not! I can safely say that Harry does indeed kick ass in Blinded.
    In regard to Harry kicking ass, something that struck me throughout the story was how alike it is to the movie Daredevil.

Overall I found it to be an average story but a nice quick read and does a fairly nice job of depicting how a blind Harry Potter would function in Hogwarts. The idea behind the story has great potential though so I think I will be checking up on it in the future.

In any case there is my two cents for the moment. Signing off...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  13. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I hope you die of eye-AIDS.

14. Eliwar

Eliwar Squib

I apologise. As I stated I do not normally post on forums. Eye-AIDS indeed!

15. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Don't laugh. Gio can actually give you eye-aids over a computer monitor.

16. Eliwar

Eliwar Squib

Well that is considerably disturbing. Potentially a useful talent however.

17. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I can give you Rolaids... but you'll have to pay for shipping.

Why not, I dunno, fix that post?

18. Eliwar

Eliwar Squib

I honestly do not know where to begin in fixing my review. The most I could do with my own experience is separate the paragraphs another space down which honestly does not change the post very much.

19. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

No fucking seriously, where's my sodding thumb's down button?

20. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Protip : a paragraph = an idea. There was aboslutely no reason your 'second paragraph' couldn't be broken in smaller parts.

I did what I could to make it less painful to read, but there's only so much you can do when there's no connection between ideas, and sentences are just put next to each other without thought.