1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Furious Angels by Worldmaker - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by b0b3rt, Dec 19, 2010.

1. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

Title: Furious Angels
    Author: Worldmaker
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance
    DLP Category: Time Travel
    Pairing: Harry/Ginny
    Summary: Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks within his bending sickle's compass come. Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, but bears it out, even to the edge of doom.
    Link: Fanfiction.net

This story is basically an AU divergence from his other story, "I Saw My Lady Weep". You don't need to read the first one to understand this, though.
    This is one of the best second-year fics that I've ever read. The pairing is only superficially H/G, due to their age.

2. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

Ahh, Worldmaker, author of my favorite rant on his author´s page. You do know that this story is about Soul Bond, Harry and Ginny are married at ripe old age of 11 and it has a rather abrupt ending so I do not think it would have a positive reception here.

This story is just not my cup of tea and I skipped chapters of it because of fluff and angst in it.

3. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

I read parts of the first chapter and call TROLL.

If you are serious, I would advise this:

[​IMG]

4. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

Kill. It. With. Fire.

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  6. PapaMidNite56

PapaMidNite56 Second Year DLP Supporter

This dude's author page is longer than most one-shots, I read the first couple of chapters but I couldn't get into it. This has to be a troll

7. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

And furthermore, this fic has already been recced/dealt with/shitstormed over before - as far as I know, at least twice.

I've communicated with Worldmaker before and actually managed to smooth shit over the last time this guy got brought up on DLP. So in other words, this thread is counterproductive.

Mods, admins, do your thing.

8. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

Huh? Why would anyone need to "smooth shit over" with this guy? Did he threaten to sue or what? :confused:

9. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Impressive. I've just read his profile and he seems like a natural born troll.

If you want everyone who doesn't 100% agree with you to regard you as an asshole, mission accomplished.

10. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

No, but there was flaming and arguments and general all-around drama regarding this guy, and I tend to have a higher-than-usual opinion of DLP and its members, so I tried to keep the peace and nip any quarrels in the bud. And this thread really doesn't help matters.

11. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

It's times like this I wished the rating system allowed us to vote in negative numbers.

Troll or not, this is just in poor taste.

12. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I think I've encountered this story before, perhaps linked from a DLP thread. While it's theoretically possible that a Soul Bond story might make it into the DLP Library someday, I doubt it'll happen with this one.

I can't help but think that the OP is a bit judgment impaired, proposing this story in a place where neither fools nor trolls are suffered gladly.

13. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

nein

/filler

14. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Regardless of the story, just skimming his profile made me want to punch him in the face. It certainly killed any desire I have to read his stories ever.

Also Silens, the dude calls the entire population of DLP "delusional butt-heads" on his profile. If that's the results of "shit being smoothed over", remind me to never call on you for conflict mediation.:awesome

15. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Ah, this is where I mildly suggested that he come up with an actual summary for his fic, and he kept sayiing that it was a Shakespeare quote.

Then when I criticized him for using the soul bond plot device, he kept claiming it was a "deconstruction" of the soul-bond idea. Sure.

Let it go on record that he acknowledges his own stories as shit.

1/5.

But... maybe his cookbook is good.

16. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

Worldmaker is a well-known troll and shit-stirrer, but let's judge stories on their merits and not on what we think of the author.

As it happens, I did read the first part of this story some time ago. It's not terrible. It's also not great.

Technically, Worldmaker is a decent author. (One would hope, for someone with a MFA and published novels, even if they're virtually unknown.) The prose isn't awful and the story is coherent.

The problem is, as you might surmise from his personality, Worldmaker's stories suffer from serious WriterOnBoard syndrome. He hates Snape and Snapefen in particular, so he has Snape act in a cartoonishly nasty manner, even more exaggerated and arbitrary than he was in the books, and tells us outright how much the whole school hates him. He hates Draco and Draco fangirls, so Draco in this story basically acts in the most crude, idiotic, and cowardly fashion imaginable, and exists solely to get p0wned by Harry repeatedly. These sorts of narrative intrusions always occur in such a way that you can practically hear Worldmaker pointing at some particular subset of fandom that's annoyed him and saying "Hah! Hah! Suck it!"

Furious Angels tries to subvert the "soul bond" trope, and doesn't really succeed, because while he does make it a more complicated and negative thing than these stories usually portray, he also can't resist turning Harry and Ginny both into Mary Sues.

Stylistically, there's a pretentiousness to his writing that (along with the authorial "neener neeners") eventually made me grind my teeth too much to finish the story.

I give it 3/5 because it's not too badly written if you can stand the basic premise.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  17. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

:facepalm

filler.

18. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

So everybody here dislikes a concept for its usually faulty implementation rather than for some reason intrinsic to the concept itself?
    Also, Inverarity has some valid criticisms of this story, but the rest of you turn the whole thing into a shitstorm because the author is, admittedly, a snob?

And you guys call him pretentious!

19. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

No actually most everybody here thinks the entire concept of soul bonds is intrinsically flawed and retarded. The only way the idea would ever be greeted with appreciation is in a total crackfic like Pers's "A Mother In Laws Love".

20. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I don't think the idea of a soulbond is intrinsically flawed. It's only stupendously lazy, cheap, cliché, a cop-out and the mark of writers far and wide who want to write Romance but don't have the skill to. He tries to write a parody of it. That makes it retarded. (I hate parody fics.)

Also, I never claimed I wasn't pretentious. Although I prefer elitist, since you're asking. Kthx.