1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Dunno, I think I'd prefer a raven - not only are they common as fuck, so Harry could blend in, but they're freaky smart as hell. Heck, they're probably the smartest bird species there is - with the possible exception of the African Grey, but I don't think Harry would find much use in being a rather expensive parrot that would attract attention.

2. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

If we're voting, I'd say a fox as well. I don't really think a bird would fit him. You'd need something vicious and protecting, while still being clever.

3. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Latest update is in WbA.

I know, two updates in less than a week, I spoil you guys sometimes

4. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

If we're going for smart animals, I'd go for a crow of some sort if it didn't seem so damn cliche.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Good update, though I hoped that you would give us some clues about Harry's Animagus form. I liked that Krum was first to transform, it showed that sometimes intuition is more important than intelligence.

After the whole situation in Gellert's room, I wonder how good duelist is Harry. If he were to fight seriously with Krum, Kira or Calypso, would he win or are they still better fighters?

I may be wrong, but I believe that by the time Harry ends his education he will have skills (if not experience) to fight with few fairly good opponents at the same time (as is a case with other as skilled wizards as him), but I have no idea how good he is right now. I hope we will see some challenge which will show us his true dueling skills before 4th year starts.

6. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

This update was the best in the entire story. I don't have anything else to say that is positive and would prevent me ruining my pride by gushing for 300 words.

However the cliche bashing on the cruciatus curse was distracting and made me frown. Occasionally that satirical variety of humor is amusing, but since you ragged on the animagus transformation in the same chapter it hurts more than it could help. Doubly so in such an awesome scene including the torture of puppies.

Edit: I wonder if occlumancy is impeding Harry and Calypso's ability to transform.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  7. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Loved the update. Harry's instinctive reaction to Kira's taunt was great. The full-on hatred between Kira and Calypso is one of my favorite parts of the story. The interaction between Professor Rosier and Harry was well done, it felt appropriately strained but hinted at a changing relationship of sorts.

I disagree. It made me chuckle; I get so tired of seeing the same tired defenses trotted out for the Unforgivables time and time again. Its a small bit and I don't think it distracts. It's also defensible as good teaching. Rosier is trying to emphasize the sheer darkness and perverseness of the Cruciatus. It get's the point across well.

8. b3serker

b3serker First Year

Awesome update! Nice jabs at those cliches :)

Also nice to see that Harry isn't perfect (yet anyways). As good a duelist as he seems to be, he still doesn't stand a chance against an unexpected attack.

9. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I noticed a mistake, but now I can't find it: in one spot, you have "it" instead of "in". Or the other way around.

Good chapters.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How is telling us that the Cruciatus curse is painful cliche? :/ It's fanon that tries to give other positive sides to the TORTURE curse.

If anything, this was avoiding a cliche.

As to the updates, loved them completely. However, everything I could add has been stated already.

Apart from one thing actually, please please please don't rush the romance aspect to Harry and Calypso's relationship. I have no issue with what's happened so far, but yeah. I can't see you fucking it up, but still, I feel the need to mention it.

11. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Excellent job, Santi.

I'm not sure how I feel about the jabs at the Animagus and Cruciatus cliches. Both of them made me chuckle, but at the same time caused me to lose immersion in the story. I don't know that the laughs are worth it.

The romance, on the other hand, is paced wonderfully. The buildup has been crafted perfectly, and the development has felt very realistic. While the relationship isn't the focus of the story, it's one of the better progressions I've seen in any fic, fluffy or otherwise.

You're writing a damn good story here, and it remains a quintessential 5/5.

EDIT: My first thumbs up goes to the most recent update, and I'd be hard-pressed to find anything more deserving.

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I haven't finished the latest update yet because I'm too damn tired, but I had that problem already at the first piece, where Rosemburg smacked down the Animagi-potion.

For a second, for me, it was not him talking, but the author (i.e. you, Santi). Take care there. I'd personally make it less smack-down-y and more ... factual? I dunno. Does it have to be the "most stupid thing" ever, and does he have to say it "bluntly"? Taking that out would take off the edges, but then again, perhaps that was what you were going for. Just be aware that at moments like these, for a second the reader might leave your story-world.

13. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Excellent update.

There are a few mistakes, which I'll go into later. I'm slightly perplexed at the way professor Rosier is referred to in the Unforgivables scene. My understanding is that it's written from Harry's point of view, but he's generally written as "Romulus". Usually students don't think of their teacher's first names. I guess Harry could be close to a few of them by this point, but I didn't get that impression between him and Rosier.

I'm also not a big fan of the way Harry and Viktor's "fight" worked out. You're right in portraying him as a thirteen-year-old; I guess I like to see Harry more mature and I felt he should have tried to convey how cruel Kira's actions were. The fact that they had disagreement is good, and the unexpected Legilimency is great.

^this.

It happened faster than I expected, tbh, but I don't think it's a bad thing. A lot of authors (and virtually all TV series) take stupid enjoyment in drawing things out. As long as they act like they're thirteen, I think it'll be a good development.

I personally like the self-concious rejection of fanon clichés. The one with the cruciatus curse was less adroit than the previous one.
    ___

I'm not a grammar expert, but I don't think the tenses are consistent there. Either "I'm not sure what happened, but the next thing I knew", or "I wasn't sure what was happening, but the next thing I know my mind is filled" would work better .
    than
    The comma should go.

Romulus already knows the answer. What he's trying to do is to get it out of Harry.

Clumsy punctuation.

Maybe something like: "As adults, I make you this offer: I will give anyone who wishes it a chance to cast the Imperius or Cruciatus curse on me right now. I will not try to avoid it; however, if your spell fails I will cast the same spell on you."

Yeah, that was weird. Try some generic form of "he was interrupted by an owl".

14. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

This is the reasoning I have against the cheap laughs.

It's working too hard to avoid the fanon cliche and make a joke out of it. Bringing in non-canon elements like psychic shock, and coma patients is distracting. It removes you from the story to think about different fanfics that are far worse than this one. If a teacher started giving specific and seemingly random examples of what something doesnt do, then I would be sarcastically thinking that it also doesn't cure cancer or teleport me to Mars. Psychic shock isn't even a real condition, but something some author dreamed up to add substance to their own fanfiction.

The joke was already used twice. The first time I smiled, the second time it didnt make me laugh, and the third time I am annoyed at the overuse. This is doubly true when it was used just few thousand words ago in the same chapter.

15. Provis

Provis Second Year

Overall I enjoyed the update, however I did have one major issue with it: Krum's reaction to Harry cursing Kira, and Harry's acceptance of that reaction.

While I completely agree that cursing someone is serious—and that one would naturally be protective of one's girlfriend—Kira's reaction to anything and anyone throughout this story (aside from Krum) has been to curse them.

She has on multiple occasions attempted to curse Harry without provocation, and also attempted to curse Calypso after receiving only verbal provocation. This, in addition to the fact that Calypso was in a potentially fatal situation, mitigates Harry's reaction to some degree, as well as making Krum seem like a complete asshole (and making Harry seem somewhat spineless for his acquiescence).

16. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

A few errors that haven't been mentioned yet:

Viktor who?

crashed

Change that period for a comma.

I enjoyed the way that you've engineered this new change in Harry and Calypso's relationship. It was dark and sweet at the same time.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually definitely agree with this. I forgot about this when I was replying to the thread.

I felt that Kira's laughter was FAR crueler than anything we've seen between the two so far, with how much pain that Calypso was it as it was described to us, I felt Harry should of definitely made an effort to argue his point with Krum.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

... I agree with Ellisande. Kira laughing at Calypso was way across the line, Krum should realize this.

Then again, it was extremely retarded for both Krum and Harry to leave those two alone in a room together.

19. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

This seems to be a scene that you may want to rewrite - on the other hand, people do incredibly stupid things all the time, so it's possible that these reactions would have taken place in real life as well.

20. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

On the topic of the Calypso and Kira scene, we've under the impression Calypso was in immense pain from her failed transformation. Like Cruciatus level pain. I don't have the words to describe my feelings about Kira's reaction, but "she is a massive fucking bitch and should spent a several minutes under the Cruciatus to be taken down about a dozen pegs" are a start. I cannot remember the last time I've so vehemently hated a character, and Harry's reaction afterwards to Krum (and Krum's reaction, too) is disgusting.

I can't bring myself to think I'm overreacting. Kira's reaction is the complete opposite of my own personality. If I see someone, even someone I despise, in that much pain, laughing would be very, very far down the list of things to do. Kira's reaction is beyond cruel.

If this is what Santi was aiming for, he damn well did it perfectly. But somehow, I don't think so.

So, yeah. Totally agree with Provis, Ellisande and Sree.

Not open for further replies.