1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

The thing is that it doesn't require a person to know one's self intimately:
    The Santi shows us that it is in fact unnecessary, though merely recommended. It is entirely possible that Harry is delaying his successful transformation by doing this unnecessary step.

2. gullibleoats

gullibleoats Seventh Year

Raising a curious eyebrow Rosemburg said, “I wasn't aware you knew of such magic, Harry, but, yes, on a very basic level, the animagus transformation is similar. Both require the individual to have a strong sense of self and to manipulate magic on a level far deeper than simply wand waving.
    - From that story.

Regardless of whether or not this process is needed, the concept of knowing one's self- as well as having a grasp on advanced human transfiguration- is probably intrinsic to the animagus transformation. The only actual explanation or general outline provided for the animagus transformation hints that this is so. Having Viktor already complete his transformation using this technique establishes a precedent and provides us that this technique works, and there has been no mention of any other way of doing it.

While it is possible there are other forms, the only one available at the moment is the process of knowing one's self intimately and making that list. Rosemburg's suggestion of doing it that way is probably because he, personally, hasn't done the animagus transformation himself.

What puzzles me is why Harry just doesn't ask his father, Mcgonagle, Sirius, or any of the other already established animagi as to how to best proceed with the transformation.

3. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

McGonagall.
    Harry's still having problems with his dad because of his fight with Nathan, probably same with Sirius. As for McGonagall, he hasn't had any contact with her for the last two and a half years. Is it that hard to figure out why he wouldn't run to her for help at the first possibility?

4. gullibleoats

gullibleoats Seventh Year

He's had correspondence with Filtwick, so he's not above reaching his teachers. As for the childhood squabble, that doesn't affect Sirius or Remus enough for them to not give him advice. And yes it's a bit hard to believe that he didn't consider those options especially since he knows 3 animagi and so far has had trouble with the transformation.
    Harry isn't above asking for help and given his genius status he should consider all the options.
    And thanks for correcting the spelling, I've never had to type out Mcgonagall before.

5. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Well if Calypso form now on is not hyena, than maybe vulture they have many similar characteristics
    My first impression of this was that Calypso is bird and scene above is description of transformation of beak.

For Harry animagus form I have several:
    Dog :
    Border Collie (One of most intelligent dogs, often owners say is like he can read your mind by watching with these eyes cough *Legilimency* cough)

Horse - intelligent and have some characteristic of his father form (stag).

Ps. I'm new on the forum and also I'm from non-english country, so my linguistic skill needs some work :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

7. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Feanor from the Silmarillion would not be this retarded. You are a disgrace to your namesake (even after excusing your English).

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Krum being successful in his Quidditch career is great, but getting a Mastery in Transfiguration is a kind of success that he's never had, and will likely never have the chance of again. Honestly, it'll be a bit sad if Harry manages to snatch this small victory away from him. For the first time ever, it's not just some invisible group of students that Harry has to beat to get a mastery; this time his opponent is Krum. Krum won't feel good being in Harry's crosshairs, but then Krum is no stranger to competitiveness himself. I wonder if there'll be some relationship fallout over this.

The other thing that worries me about Harry busting out some super-Transfiguration or Animagus Project that can top Krum's successful Animagus transformation is awesomeness fatigue. Harry's been pretty awesome so far with his multiple Masteries, breaking new ground in Transfiguration research, being great in every field of magic that he tries. Not only might it eventually get wearisome for the reader, but surely it's a dangerous path for Harry as well. If he only knows success and never learns defeat, then he's going to leave school woefully unprepared for life.

I won't be too surprised if Harry does eventually become an Animagus, but I will be surprised if he beats Krum in Transfiguration this year. I'm still leaning slightly towards Harry failing at becoming an Animagus. I've never read a fic where Harry attempts to become an Animagus and fails at it, but I'd like to.

This isn't necessarily relevant, but whenever I think about this subject for any length of time I'm always reminded of Krum's skill at self-Transfiguration which he exhibits next year at the TriWizard Tournament in canon. I don't think we've seen Krum do any self-Transfiguration yet, but he obviously didn't remain completely incompetent in the subject in the original timeline.

9. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Silverlasso, I would be better man and remain silent about your post and big thanks for nice welcome.

10. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Fourth Year

Awesome chapter of an awesome fanfiction, every character interaction is realistic, which is probably what most differentiate this fic from the generaly crappy 'Brother Who Lived' fics (a sub-genre that has been a guilty pleasure for me before this fic), with they evil parents, bashing and that convinient piece of debris falling on the brother's head.

As for Harry's animagus form, I don't particularly care if he gets one or not, either way has its benefits for the story, though if he has one I think it will probably be some animal with a 'dark' reputation, like Calypso's and Krum's. It would add some tension with the Potters, after all, Sirius and James believe that the animagus form reflects one's personality and Pettigrew proved to be as trustworthy as a rat.

Also, a female Spotted Hyena:

[​IMG]

Calypso's first transformation will be so awkward.

11. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

[​IMG]

12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Sure, but I think we have it already covered with everything else that happened in his life. You know - like being almost killed for his amazing skills just after starting education in a new school. Or living for so long in shadow of his brother. I wouldn't exactly call it knowing only success.

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Can we please stop heaping metric fucktons of fail into this thread? And yes, that means you.

14. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

What the fuck?

15. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Really liked the newest segments, even though I can't say I am a hundred percent happy with Krum being a bat. It fits, I guess, it just wasn't the animal I would have thought he would end up as. I always figured he would be a bird but bat works too.

The animagus cliché ridicule was a bit over the top, but not too hindering. It got a chuckle out of me but maybe it's not the best solution for tackling this.

Also, the Kira scene; I agree with Sesc that the talk and the scene are not all that compatible but when viewed separately, that they both work magnificently.

But here is my take on that matter: Yes, Kira was a bitch for not immediately reversing the transformation but, I really don't think that this was something that was out of character. There is quite the feud between the two and you can't tell me that Calypso wouldn't have done exactly the same if the situation were reversed. The situation could have just as easily been otherwise, with Kira lying on the ground and Calypso laughing, mocking her disgraced bloodline and Krum blasting Calypso in the back.

Harry reacted appropriately but I hope that during the course of the story, that the gap between Kira and Harry will at least close so far, that they will be at least at civil, mutual respect, as Calypso is just as bad, if not worse, than Kira in the way she treats/talks about others.

Really don't think that this is going to happen between the girls though.

So, regarding that, I don't think Kira and Krum are going to break up. I doubt The Santi included her in the story to be the girl Krum dumps before going to Hogwarts and start his epic romance with Hermione. My guess is, that, without Harry (in canon, if you will) those two would have broken up, but Harry being there will somehow influence that to keep that relationship from falling apart. (Not saying Harry will intentionally do so)

Otherwise, it would seem like a waste to have Kira included at all. Kira was with Krum before he became the star of Durmstrang, so, if she was with him during his outcast/loser days, I doubt that it will end anytime soon.

And the twist of Kira becoming a villain/antagonist who hates Harry and Krum because she was dumped would be a waste of that character, imo. I quite like the character and it would be disappointing to see her getting sidelined like that.

But back to the chapter, really liked it Santi, great work. Loved the gifts, especially the memory, the way being an Animagus is handled and the mention of Luna, who seems to be going to have a better school-life than in canon. (or worse, students can be more cruel to those who are under teacher protection)

I also hope to see more from Grindelwald who seems to be a far more interesting adversary than Voldemort. I kind of hope he will escape somehow from his prison. In canon, Voldemort managed to break in, but I have no doubt that this prison is much better protected than the canon version, so I don't see Voldemort waltzing in.
    Or if he does, Grindelwald exploiting that to escape somehow. I dunno, just hope to see more from him.
    Story still going 5/5 for me

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  16. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Good point. I think they will stop stealing her things, but keep being nasty to her in more subtle ways.

As for Grindelwald - I believe that his rooms have more secrets than anyone discovered so far and maybe it will be Harry who will find them. Not because he is more skilled than wizards who were there before him, but because from what we know they mostly wanted to unmade these rooms, not search them for anything. Aside these few, everyone else simply avoided getting there, because of what this place reminds to them. Harry has no such problems, so I can see him exploring these rooms more than anyone before him.

Not sure what exactly he could find there, but nothing uberpowerful for sure. More like Gellert's diary or something. Wait, I have an idea what - the copy of book that Albus destroyed in Interlude. That would create more tension between Harry and Dumbledore.

The second thing he could find is some sort of mirror that shows inside of Nurmengard. I think Gellert is a person who would want to keep an eye on his prisoners.

17. Nemrut

High Score:
    Well, only if Dumbledore knew that Harry got that book and I doubt that there would be a copy hidden there. It would be too convenient. I agree that there will be something special in that room, but I don't really think a secret diary or book will be it. Most likely that book was an only piece, written by both of them GG and Dumbledore together, no sense having that thing twice.

That mirror though (or at least the idea of having a way of observing/communicating with the prisoners) is something that might be interesting to see happen, if it's well handled of course

18. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

There is a distinct difference between the two at least where Harry is involved. They may hate each other, and treat each horribly, but only one of them treats Harry like that. Calypso has been Harry's friend since they met. She's treated Harry well, and their genuine friends, and maybe more in the future.

Kira on the other hand, has made her dislike of Harry clear. She treated him like shit when they first met, and has only tolerated him because of Krum. Their relationship has never changed. She looks down on him because he's a halfblood, and Harry barely tolerates her because she's Krum's girlfriend. There no basis for civility and mutual respect, and no reason Harry would even want to have that type of relationship with her.

19. Nemrut

High Score:
    True, but it was hinted that Calypso is still not all that honest about their friendship, so while Kira may openly antagonize Harry at times, Harry really isn't trusting Calypso all that much either, even if he likes her more.

Also, that's why I hope that I want to see that develop realistically. And to be honest, I don't believe that being a half blood is the whole reason for Kira's dislike for Harry. Maybe she really sees him just as an annoying kid who, although very talented and powerful, mostly intrudes on her time with Krum.

Doesn't make her better or anything, it's just that people have proven to set aside their bigotry in this story. It's not like Calypso is more open minded regarding others, she judges people just as well on their bloodlines and heritage as others do, she just excludes Harry from it, due to the mission of her father/genuine fondness and respect for Harry.

Small question, was Grindelwald a pure-blood ?

20. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Your ideas with Grindelwald' room is interesting. I liked the most idea that, within GG's room is secret how to contact with Grinelwald' cell (He seems likes the type to want to contact, the person in most secured cell, probably build it in mind of Albus, to gloat after he was defeated).

Not open for further replies.