1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY AGREE WITH YOUR STATEMENT.

2. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I stand by my previous statement.

3. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

This thread never ceases to provide teh lulz.

4. Sigurd

Sigurd DA Member

I think Viktor as a bat fits, to revisit something a few posts earlier. I too was thinking he'd be a bird of some kind. However, bats are fucking useless on the ground, Viktor was described somewhere in canon as appearing as ungainly on the ground as he did comfortable in the air. It fits.

Kira's exact relation to others year-wise is actually contradictory between chapters, I think. I'll have to go back and re-read a few before I pin down exactly where.

If not for Feanorrrr saying he was a foreign speaker, I would've cried troll a long time ago.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    To someone who said a couple of pages back that Victor gaining his Mastery due to his Animagus ability would cause a falling out with Harry; I find that quite unlikely. If Harry didn't cross Victor when Kira pulled that nearly-lethal stunt, then he won't cross him simply for achieving an Academical Award for something he himself tried to do.

6. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm not sure falling out is the correct term Republic, but I definitely think that it would cause some resentment on Harry's part. After all, school is his area of expertise. He's helped Viktor so much that I believe Harry would get annoyed to lose the mastery to someone who became an animagus by pure luck basically. Wouldn't you be frustrated if you were tutoring someone, and they did something brilliant without putting that much effort into it?

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It is not entirely true. Krum spent as many hours as Harry practicing skills needed to make Animagus transformation. It was only with the last step he was lucky.

I agree that this situation will not do any damage to friendship between these two. Harry on his part will probably be more frustrated with himself than anyone else.

Even if Victor will get M, I think most teachers will think it's mostly Harry's doing that he had skills to make transformation in the first place and then pure luck he did it before their precious prodigy.

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    True, but again, if he was not frustrated enough to call Victor on his bitch of a girlfriend for nearly killing(or letting die) his soon-to-be girlfriend, then he won't be frustrated that Victor got the mastery. Harry is clearly said to have been in a rage after the incident, and he still sat and took it like a well trained dog. Chances that losing the mastery are worse than this are slim to none.

9. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

It is also possibility that, although both Harry and Viktor will become animagus, Harry will win the prize. It was shown that Harry has got great skills in human transfiguration:

I am only guessing that, it will make his animagus transfiguration faster or something.

Theorethical if there is only one prize, no posibility of sharing the Mastery and both projects are the same, then they award it to someone who is doing it better. If this was this situation then, Krum will be rather bitter and jealous, for the second which he shows signs already:
    It just my theory, feel free to disagree.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  10. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    All I notice of your post is your signature. It hurts my eyes.

11. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

It is changed now, I hope that colours now are okay.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  12. Hello

Hello Professor

Ok or okay, choose one and stick with it. Okey is fanon Hagrid trying to say the word "hokey".

13. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

An animagus transformation is an animagus transformation. You turn into your animal or you don't; it's a pretty basic things. If the Mastery comes down to the transformation and only that, well Krum completed it faster than Harry. Krum wins that competition.

Not that complicated.

14. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Just read the last chapter.

The Harry/Calypso ship docked earlier than I thought it would. To my chagrin.

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Because it's moving so quickly, I think it won't be a final pairing for Harry in this fic. If I'm right, I just hope it will not end with Harry/Hermione.

16. Tenages

I don't necessarily think it's gonna end with them together either. But the relationship isn't really moving that quickly. They're 13. They've been best friends for 2 years. At the beginning of the year, Calypso admitted to liking Harry. Weeks (months?) later and so far they've held hands and shared one kiss, and this after Harry ended her excruciating pain and defended her against and enemy. At that age that's a positively glacial pace for a relationship.

I think you're letting your views be colored by the marriage contract Calypso mentioned. In a culture that still uses marriage contracts like the one Santi has created of course girls of that age are going to be aware of the possibility and make potential future plans.

Calypso even says the contract was just a possible future plan if they did end up working out together. Research just had to be done up front because of familial differences, etc.

The contract talk may have jumpstarted the beginning date of the relationship. But I don't think you can say that it's been progressing "so quickly" at the present.

17. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

You're making the assumption that children's relationships progress faster than what is normal for adults. It's my experience that it takes much longer for kids to see each other as potential bf/gfs but whatever.

My hatred of the marriage contract is due to the same failing that every AU First Year fic has: I call it the Ender Effect. Children not acting like children. Maybe it comes from me being raised in a society where I had the time and comfort to slowly unfurle my wings and not be rushed by any one person or societal pressures, maybe not. I just don't find it realistic.

The whole contract thing is easily the worst part of the story imho. It generally manages to avoid cliches and most OOC (for children anyway) moments but I despised it for various reasons. Regardless of the reason I can't conceivably see a thirteen year old acting in that way in any serious capacity. It's plausible and rationally I know the arguments for it, it just doesn't ring true.

But hopefully Celestin is right. I can't stand Calypso, and the idea of her being the main pairing for however long this fic lasts makes me sad. But I think she's going to be around for a long, long time, unfortunately.

18. Docker

Docker Third Year

I think Calypso is a likable, well balanced character and I truthfully would like her to stay with Harry for quite a while.

I actually like the way Santi has handled the marriage contract, it appears that both kids are very embarrassed about it- something that would be normal with kids their age- as long as they aren’t picking out wedding dresses or telling everybody and making it seem like a wonderful affair it's pretty perfect.

Lots of people that age have to face marriage contacts. And at the moment they are just talking about a contact, not about the marriage. It would be at least five years until they could marry, if they do. It gives them plenty of time to grow up.

At the moment it’s not really forcing them to grow up; it’s just giving them something to think about.

Twelve and thirteen year olds do think about marriage, although their views can be quite generalized. As long as it’s kept pretty simple I think that the contact saga works out pretty well.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  19. Tenages

Different areas, different experiences I guess. In my neck of the woods (central PA) kids that age are kissing, petting and then 'breaking up' all the time. A lot of them are even having sex. It's the same way in Philly where I go to school. Are these relationships with any real depth that are going anywhere? Of course not. But that doesn't stop them from going through the physical activities or proclaiming love to each other. Judged by that barometer it's moving pretty slowly.

I don't think it's moving quickly for a 'adult', mature relationship either. She confessed to liking him and in the ensuing weeks nothing happened until a dramatic, emotional moment, and only then one kiss. I don't think that's especially fast for any relationship in a relatively modern, western society.

As for the contract thing, yeah those are some legit issues with the contract meme, but within the context of the story and the world, Calypso's reactions seem legitimate to me.

And here we'll have to disagree friend. I love Calypso, she rivals Harry for my favorite character in the story.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I honestly don't think Harry will have any issues with Krum getting an M this year, I mean, he's already broken Grindlewald's record, it's not as if he still needs to prove himself.

Edit: Agreed with Tenages about Calypso. Great character, want more.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
Not open for further replies.