1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Docker

Docker Third Year

I know we are meant to be drawn to Harry in this story but my favourite character has to be Calypso.

I just love that girl and would scream at the computer if she and Harry broke up.

When Kira and Calypso fight I feel like punching Kira- which is not wise. I might end up breaking my computer screen over this story. It's quite sad, really.

I must admit I have a little crush on Calypso and I really like the way the Santi has written her- the marriage contact was well done, and easy to tune in with the character's personality.

You never know, it's still early into the year. Harry could end up doing something different for his project and receive the M. And we don’t know for sure if he will or will not change into an animagus this year. I don't think the teacher said it's a race- the first one to transform might not get the M, it could based on something else.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

While many of you talk about Transfiguration project which, Harry has been working on for 2 years now. I would like to start discussion about this year Charms-Astronomy joint project. Generally enchanting has many possibilities and maybe in it, he'll be specialized. He is starting writing with Flitwick, who obvisully will help him with project, but maybe something more. Room of Grindelwald is full of enchantings, who he can try to solve. There is also library there with books that'll also be helpful with the knowledge in subject. It will also show the similarity between him and Grindelwald.

3. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

Even if I like Calypso, I don't think she will stay with Harry and have children and a happy ending...

Why? I think Calypso and Harry will stay together for a few years until Calypso die tragically in the war even if they don't fight in it. And it will lead Harry to the Dark Side, something like Padmé and Anakin Skywalker in RotS.

So I believe the Harry/Calypso pairing will not be the final pairing. Perhaps Harry will have another OC as a mistress or something...

As for Victor getting a M, I really am at a loss: how could it lead to a fallout between the two? It's not as if Harry has ever expressed jealousy; quite the contrary, he always has been proud of the accomplishments of his friends and family.

4. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Well, if Krum getting the M is your worry, I'd say that Harry is well on his way to beating him simply from his mastery of human/animal transfiguration. It's commented how easily and seamlessly he's able to transform Calypso back to her human state from her paw state by the T professor. Who knows? Perhaps this is a greater feat than the animagus transformation, especially considering the fact that the professors are likely aware of Harry tutoring his friends in this field. It's been shown time and time again that Harry has gone out of his way to help his friends experience a change.

5. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

At first I was confused. Then I saw your gender and it cleared right up for me.

You do realize that you just admitted to having a crush on a thirteen-year-old fictional witch right?

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Considering that she's a 16 year old girl on a Harry Potter fanfiction forum, I honestly can't see why you're finding that unlikely. :p

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I know others said it, but god you suck so much. For reasons stated before me.

Calypso is my worst character in this fic. I know she won't, but I hope she dies a horrible painful death.

9. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Why is that, really?

This is obviously just my opinion but I hope she sticks around, since she's pushed Harry into being awesome in ways he probably wouldn't have on his own. Becoming better with the Dark Arts, learning Occlumency (which will incidentally lead to his Legilimency skills, as shown already), pushing him to beat Grindelwald's academic record and do the Animagus transformation, etc. Calypso is Harry's ambition to be the best rolled into a character.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pity she's going to betray him.

11. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Good point. I hope that at some point her loyalty to Harry will superseed darker influences, but I would be surprised if that conflict didn't come up.

Also, I completely agree that Calypso is one of the major factors in Harry's awesomeness in the fic. And she's an exceptionally well crafted OC, being sometimes cruel and cynical, but genuinely likeable too.

I don't see how she could be the constant pairing for the rest of the fic though. 13 year olds who stay together forever? Never seen it happen. I do hope she sticks around, and one possibility is that the pairing come back after a fallout around fourth or fifth year.

12. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Yes, I can see Calypso goading Harry into doing better, and he would not have learned Occlumency this soon without her. She has been the reason he excelled so highly academically, to a degree that he would not manage on his own.
    But let's not forget her initial reason for sticking with him in the first place. While I am sure she regrets it now that she truly likes Harry, she became his friend because her father told her to. To get information. And is hiding that fact because of her fear. Totally understandable, but doesn't mean I like it. Plus, she's a complete bitch. I think no-one can deny that. Harry has taken quite the shit pile from her.
    I just dislike all there is about her character and her actions, not what effects she has on Harry. I can understand why some like her. But god forbid she becomes Harry's pairing.

/rant

13. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Err, did she actually become friends with him to get information for her father? I can remember it being implied, but then it being revealed as the whole marriage contract thing.

14. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    :facepalm
    It has been said to be so in every interaction with her father.

The marriage contract thing was her excuse for keeping tabs on his family which Harry, being thirteen and all, stupidly bought.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Err, what? You mean the reverse, right? The marriage contract was the original reason.

Yeah, this. That is what I'd like. As a final pairing, it's great.

16. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

I say that she's going to do at least several of the above, possibly in this order:

1. Grow closer to Harry, eventually becoming a real GF
    2. Betray him in some way after Voldemort rises again
    3. Change sides again, choosing Harry over the DEs and/or her father
    4. Get her ass killed for her trouble
    5. Harry: "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-" (starts bashing heads)

17. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

That's your interpretation of her reasons, nothing more. Nothing has been specifically stated, only implied. You can believe the evidence suggests that, or not. Personally the way I read the story, she became friends with Harry on her own, and later on her father asked her for information. Romulus wasn't even at Durmstrang in their first year, she could easily have befriended Harry for her own reasons, instead of some plot of her father's.

Let's not forget they were 11. I don't care how dark or devious her father or family is, no one is going to use an 11 year old to try and carry forth a devious information plot or to spy for them. They simply wouldn't be any good at it. The more reasonable explanation is that they became friends, and later Romulus asked her what she knows about the family, can she find out more, etc. She gives him the info because he's her father, not because she got close to Harry out of some insane conspiracy.

And the marriage contract is perfectly legitimate, reasonable explanation, especially considering the amount of info on Calypso's sheet about his ancestors. If she's spying on the family of the boy who lived for her father, that Harry's granddad was an Animagus, that some other ancestor won the Order of Merlin, etc. is irrelevant, unnecessary and wouldn't be recorded. It is however, the type of info that would be important to someone contemplating a marriage contract, a type of deal that would typically be highly dependent on family status, prospects, etc.

tl;dr It is in no way proven or even the best supposition that Calypso became friends with Harry and/or remains friends with Harry to spy on him for her father.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  18. Mudblood

Mudblood Muggle

Marriage contract? I missed that, what chapter does it mention that? (Damn you reading at three o'clock and not retaining information!) I'm reading in on fanfiction.net, is it posted somewhere else with more chapters?

19. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

-_________-

/sighs

20. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

You didn't miss anything. Santi hasn't posted that section on FFN yet. He posts in the WBA section here on DLP long before he updates on FFN.

Here's the link to the story in WBA.

Not open for further replies.