1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I hate the fact that she pussifies Harry, now I know Harry is an insecure teenager who's never really had friends and takes more shit than necessary but it just rubs me the fuck wrong. And am I the only one who despises her name? I get the strange feeling it's not her real name fr some reason, it just feels out of place.

That said, I would love to see her interaction with the Potter family, who collectively (excluding Harry) are the best secondary characters of this fic, regardless of how much time they get. I just don't see it ending well, given how much of a bitch she is. But I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Hermione v. Calypso would be interesting, although Hermione is far too nice to win any magical battle. I'd settle for verbal conflicts.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

You are joking, right? Hermione wouldn't have the slightest chance in the duel between these two, nice or not. With a verbal conflict she has more chance, especially if she has a back up (Nathan and Ron).

3. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

How does she pussify Harry? So far she's pushed him to excel more than he would have without her influence. Not what I'd call pussification.

4. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I find Calypso more enjoyable to read about than almost any other OC in fanfiction. I hope she sticks around. I'm interested to see how her relationship with Harry will play out.

When the Potters find out about her, I don't think there would be too much of a problem. I can especially see James giving her the same chance he gave Sirius all those years ago. If anything, they would probably be more concerned about the potential marriage contract.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I just imagined their wedding. Would Voldemort be a guest from a bride's or groom's side? ;)

6. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Maybe it's just a me thing, but when a girl is coarse and basically rude to you, gets you to do her homework with no attempt at politeness or civility, not even a please, AND YOU FUCKING DO IT you've been whipped.

Maybe it's me being petty, or my hatred of bitches showing through but Harry's toleration of Calypso's rude and never once calling her on it gets to me.

7. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Didn't you just describe Hermione?

8. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Could you imagine that seen? Voldemort sitting on the opposite side of the aisle as Dumbledore and the Potters, that would lead to an EPIC final battle.

9. Tenages

Yeah I'd grant you that, but I don't remember their relationship being like that. Maybe I just have selective memory but could you point out some examples for me? I'll grant you the coarse and rude at times, but it's not all the time. I have any number of friends like that.

I can't think of a single instance where Harry does Calypso's homework, schoolwork or tasks she doesn't want to do. He tutors her, she tutors him. They help each other like friends do. Did I miss something in the story?

10. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

You mean Canon Harry, I take it. Hermione was far more justified for being bossy, considering that she was the one doing all the work.

As for examples of her Calypso's attitude, her constant barrage of insults against Kira should be example enough. The homework incident I was referring to was one where she basically told Harry that he was going to be doing it for her. I can't remember the exact words but it was the moment that solidified my hatred of her, especially since Harry took it.

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Strong fanon-as-canon up in dis'm here thread.

Yar.

12. Tenages

Doesn't bother me at all. It's not one sided at all, the two hate each other. Why should Harry care that Calypso insults a girl he's not friends with, who thinks that he isn't worth the dirt on her shoes? I personally have friends who behave this way towards people they can't stand, and I have more than a few people I only speak to to harass them. Personal thing, but either way not really pussifying Harry.

Huh I missed that entirely. I'll have to go back and check for it.

EDIT: I dunno know about that Blaise. I find Hermione to be a bossy, controlling bitch in both canon and fanon, although fanon definitely exaggerates those characteristics.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  13. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

I think he refers to the modification of Calypso's bedroom: when Harry walks into his room just before the 2nd year feast, Calypso is waiting for him, stun him, then tells him she couldn't sleep so he has to transfigure her shitty cell into a high class hotel room.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol, you really think that Santi, who goes out of his way to trash fanon clichés, will be using marriage contracts?

Anyway, we already know that there's something not right about the "marriage contract" explanation, because Harry's legilimency told him so when he asked her if she was hiding anything - he just didn't realise it.

15. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

He doesn't trash them (all). He makes some of them reasonable and plausible.

As for the contract, I think she was telling truth, and his accidental legilimency just hinted that she didn't tell him about her father's order to spy on him.

16. greywizard-dumblemort

greywizard-dumblemort Fourth Year

I'm quite bemused at all the 'Calypso's my favorite character/the best OC evarrr' sentiment. Though very well written and a perfect fit for the story, I don't really like her at all... :S

yar yar she gave Harry some game... but that's it. There isn't really anything else particularly likable about her imo. meh

Besides, everyone knows its a toss up between Harry & Grindlewald for best character.:p

As for Hermione, in canon she's a bit socially awkward at first and definitely a bit bossy but not nearly to the extent portrayed in fanon. Trying to get Ron to eat with something at least approaching manners, studying, wanting her friends to do well and trying to talk Harry out of gung-ho, oft-retarded quest isn't really controlling and bitchy at all. Her worst moments were in hbp but there was a lot of emotion running rampant in that book.

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You're kidding, right?
    I think that the transfer of Nathan's brother from Hogwarts would not be missed by a man like Rosier. He may have only decided to watch things at first, but didn't Harry actually approach Calypso(if not, forgive my weak memory)? That's just asking for it. Calypso was by no means a simple 11 year old, Romulus as her father and her Dark Arts ability being what it is, it is apparent that Romulus has been moulding her from an early age.
    I think you're being far too soft because you like her character, and it coulds your judgement, but that's just me.

P.S:Grindelwald is obviously the best character.

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The key word in that whole paragraph is "I think".

I agree with Tenages, I don't know where the hell he came from, but he's making a whole lot of sense in this thread. You dislike Calypso, so you are pretty much twisting events to suit your purposes. None of the stuff you are trying to claim has actually happened.

Scribble, I disagree with you here about Calypso as well, however you're issue is more personal preference, though I do think you've taken some things a bit harshly. Harry called Calypso on the whole stunning thing, and I don't think he minded doing her room that much at all.

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Well, that's what we're all doing, right? Some like Calypso and are biased, some dislike Calypso and are biased. We have no proof of either claims, we are only speculating.

20. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yes. All opinions are opinions, except some make more sense than others :s

Also, I disliking Calypso here, but liking Hermione in Canon, really? That doesn't even begin to make sense, since Hermione is far worse than Calypso in the discussed regard.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
Not open for further replies.