1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

I don't think a few lines here and there about the most ridiculous cliches is going out of his way. And it really doesn't matter whether he ends up using the marriage contract for Calypso or not. The fact that she brings it up, and he accepts the notion of it, show that the contract is at least not an uncommon thing among certain classes in this world.

Given that marriage contracts do exist in this world, it's entirely reasonable for Harry to accept that that is the reason Calypso was doing research on him and his family. In fact it's more reasonable than believing she's spying on him due to his brother, because what possible relevance could facts such as an ancestor's Order of Merlin have to Nathan being "The Boy Who Lived"

One interpretation. On the other hand, he could have easily missed because it Rosier lives outside of England and it was kept fairly quiet. Even Dumbledore and his family didn't know until it was basically fait accompli. After that, I doubt Durmstrang really published the fact widely, because at that point, Harry was just another student and a half-blood one at that. Not the type of thing the school really wants spread around.

As for Calypso, she approaches Harry when he's in the Library going through Dark Arts books. She warns him that the book he's about to open has some sort of awful curse on it.

Anyway this is part of the fun of the story, the speculation and debate between different ideas of the direction the fic is going.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dunno, he sacrificed reader immersion in this chapter just to mock the fanon cliche of "Cruciatus was made to heal people".

It's reasonable, yes. But we know it's not true. We left third person limited narration for a brief moment and drifted in to third person omniscient. "Years later, Harry would regard it as his first use of legilimency".

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. Tenages

No, we know it isn't the entire story. That quote followed the line, "Harry believed she was telling the truth, but something still seemed a bit off." (I paraphrased) Taken together, those two could mean any number of different things, especially since they follow the question, "Do you have any other secrets."

Everyone has other secrets, especially someone from a dark family. Is it possible that the secret is that her father and her are spying on Harry? Yes. Is it possible it's something else? Yes. Is it possible her father is spying and she doesn't agree? Yes. Does anyone of this invalidate the truth of her marriage contract reason, especially given Harry's legilimency seemed to confirm it it? Not necessarily, or even probably.

4. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

There are plenty explanations more rational than traitor!Calypso. For example, what was off could be that Calypso actually wanted to (as much as 13-year-old could) marry him.

And if we're quoting omniscient narrator:
    For me, there's only one way to interpret the second scene and Calypso's behaviour, as childish as it is, is pretty straightforward.

The way I see what happened:

First Calypso befriends Harry, does research just in case, let's her father know about it

Next year her father is surprised that she failed to learn a very important piece of information in her research, decides that if he ever is going to consider such option she needs to take it seriously.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, but you are extrapolating truth from conjecture. While most of us are content in believing what we are told in the story, you are looking for ways to twist what's been stated to fit into your own views of how this story should progress.

"Man, I don't like Calypso... she's totally gonna betray him cuz she acts like a dick!"

Edit: missed a page. Totally agree with KrzaQ as well.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  6. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

I don't really care if some people don't like Calypso, but as far as I'm concerned, they're missing part of the story. Harry really likes her, and one of this story's strengths is how much we empathise with the protagonist. The way I see it, The Santi has done an excellent job at making us like a very flawed character. Did Calypso have hidden motives in befriending him, and will she betray him at some point? Probably. But the relevant thing is that I really hope she becomes truly loyal to him by the end of the story, whereas I'm looking forward Harry taking Kira down a peg or two.

And whoever came up with the argument that they didn't like Calypso because she insults Kira is either very particular about good manners, or really doesn't get it.

7. Lukaskr

Lukaskr Fourth Year

Another thing to consider is Harry's eventual descent into darkness. Maybe on top of all the secrets Potter's are hiding from him, his divergence from his brother, Calypso's betrayal will be the final push he needs to snap and go Crucio on everyone?

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

You know, I almost forgot that it's suppose to be Dark!Harry story, probably because it's in General Fics section. I wonder how it will be handled by Santi.

9. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

The summary says he's going to be a dark wizard, not that he's evil. While Quirrelmort was manipulating him in first year, that doesn't necessarily reduce the validity of his views on dark magic in this universe.

10. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Not to derail the thread but Taure, what the fuck are you talking about? idonteven-

I tried to google it and I got this:

That was the closest thing to your strange-ass statement.

11. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

You're showing your lack of experience with fanfic cliches. I'm sure most of us got this one just on a surface skim.

It's a long standing cliche for an author to come up with 'normal' uses, generally medical, for the Unforgiveable curses and then state that they were perverted for use in the Dark Arts.

I'm pretty sure the cruciatus was used as a way to restart a stopped heart or heal nerve endings in most versions. Imperious was used on despondent and suicidal patients, and so on.

12. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

I dunno, I never really saw the Cruciatus used as a way of healing someone in fanfiction before, other than in Holly Evans and the Spiral Path where it was used to restart a heart...

... Then again, I don't read bad fanfiction much at all. One of the reasons I joined DLP is because I was too lazy to go wade through all the crap that's overflowing the Internet and get straight to the good stuff.

13. Rocag

Rocag Third Year

Well I am sure the Cruciatus does have other uses. For instance I bet a few seconds of the curse will wake someone up and get them alert far better than a cup of coffee.

:)

14. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a lot more common than you'd think. Mostly those "Independent" stories where they justify all dark magic as being good and such.

15. Tenages

It's usually followed by some speech about how there is no light or dark magic. It's all about intent, you could use Wingardium Leviosa to kill the same as an AK, etc., etc., and etc.

It may have been clever the first time it was used. Maybe. But at this point it usually a precedes a :facepalm

16. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Also may include a (female) Slytherin who's giving that speech, and a rant about Dumbledore and how Dark is not Evil (TM). My favourite badfic example is levitating someone off a cliff, by the way.

If the author tries to be real deep, they might even include a "moral dilemma", which is constructed around saving someone's live while they are attacked, and where for some reason everything but killing the attacker is too slow or kills both; concluding that this is a "good" reason for the use of the Killing Curse.

(That's after they rationalised the CruciatusNerve-Healing Curse and the ImperiusTake-Care-Of-Demented-People Curse. The KillingSaving-People Curse usually comes last.)

With that setup down, Harry now can be cool and edgy and use Dark Magic!!11!1, while still allowing the author to remain a pussy. That's the important point.

So yeah, you can't have read much old stuff, Scribblerus.

17. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Binns came up with that curse, while he was still alive.

Every year some newbie would fall asleep in his first couple classes. And never again

18. Mathias

Mathias Squib

okay, first off, I love this story, but I have a different thought to contribute in regards to the interaction between Kira and Calypso.

Yes, we all agree that what Kira did was a total douche move and laughing at somebody experiencing the level of pain that Calypso was in is horrible, but what if The Santi had a different motive? What if this is what pushes Calypso beyond that fine line of grey and dark? I think it is fair to say that Calypso is dark, but this could give her the push or the motivation to actually hurt Kira, and not just mock her. This imo, would be a interesting way to eventually push Harry to the darker aspects of magic, because if his best friend is there with him, it won't seem as much of a push for his character.

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    If you've been paying attention, Calypso (and Kira) had been way past the hurting phase even before the incident.

EDIT: To someone who said that the Wingardium Leviosa example is now :facepalm, maybe it's time to move over to the Tickling charm?:awesome

20. Zepheric

Zepheric Squib

do you mean the tickling charm that when its super powered its a mild form of cruciatus?

Not open for further replies.