1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

2. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Got about 3 paragraphs in before I clicked the red X. I'm gonna have to be roaring drunk to actually get through it. Apparently Louise, the french chick he's been flirting with, comes from a line of "semi-Seers" who "know who they'll spend the rest of their life with from an early age." Her "destined mate" is apparently Harry.

:facepalm

3. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

It's an okay chapter and an okay story, I was a little dissappointed with how he handled the first task, the author built it up like it was going to be really impressive but completely failed, it wasn't even original. You also see Mr. Greengrasses and Dumbledore's reaction to the Harry/Daphne situation.

4. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

(sigh) Just finished it...slower than a glacier, plot wise.

I originally thought that this 'Louise' character would be basically a "cheap quickie," and that if there was going to be a relationship angle within the story, it'd be either Fleur or Daphne with Harry, or perhaps them feuding somewhat over Harry.

The author's attempts at adding depth to the once-thought of OC, however, are very lacking and poorly thought out.

"Semi-Seer?" What in the heck?

However, the subtle signs of women in general acting passively more 'catty'/'territorial' over Harry (and yes, that includes Hermione and the rest of the traitorous lions) seen in previous chapters is quite interesting, and I'm sort of curious to know how that'll play out in the long run.

On the downside, I am sort of annoyed to see that there aren't any more Hermione or Ron scenes that show what they're feeling/how they're reacting to this in general - heck, to see any of the other characters such as Angelina or Katie, or even Cho and company's reactions would of been a bonus too, even if it was just a one line inclusion.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Why this story is discussed in DLP I will never know. Am I the only one who thinks it doesn't quite reach DLP's standards?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  6. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If it met DLP's standards, it would be in the library.

As it is, we're just discussing it in a place where we're desperate for stories.

7. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

There are not that many Harry/Fleur storylines out there -good or bad- in total, so poor or not, it's what we've got. For now.

8. Tenages

So I got drunk to read the chapter, and it didn't really help. The aforementioned problem still exists, and now Louise is ready to fight her friends over comments about Harry that aren't even derogatory? Please.

--He uses the single most overused 1st task solution; parseltongue. Not only is it overused, it's imbecilic; why on earth would a dragon speak snake language? Just beyond retarded.

--The dragon is scarily intelligent and "swears by the magic in his blood." Just no.

--After conversing with the dragon and securing permission to get the egg, Harry decides to piss off the dragon and take it on just for the hell of it. I mean come on, really? Really? :facepalm

--There's words missing all over the place, which while it doesn't make the story unreadable is damn irritating. For example.

--
    I don't even. A chimpanzee couldn't underestimate that, considering they want to kill anyone who isn't them and Harry knows it. Not to mention, is there an "old ________ society" anywhere that isn't conservative? No, there isn't because progressive change never favors the old and established.

--Harry gets "annoyed" that Mr. Greengrass interrupts his meal. Suddenly Harry has developed an ego the size of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Harry has let Daphne complete a vow that removes her forever from her family and pledges herself to him, yet he has the gall to be irritated that her father is angry about that? Can you say asshole?

--
    My god could you be any more obvious about foreshadowing the point that Harry will learn Occlumency from Daphne? I think the author attended the Ayn Rand & C.S. Lewis School of Subtlety.

--I swear to God I will find and gut the next two-bit author who uses Slytherin as a literal synonym for guile and cunning. It's bad enough when Harry or another student does it, but he has DUMBLEDORE do it.

Dumbledore is both brilliant and well-spoken. There is absolutely no way I will believe this man is so pathetic as to refer to anything done in even the most tangentially clever of ways as "Slytherin abilities." This is making me want to puke.

--He then delves into the whole, "Slytherins have no friends, only allies" trope. These are children entering school at fucking 11. Of course they develop friendships, they're kids not goddamn political masterminds. :facepalm

The chapter sucked and the story sucks. It's sole positive contribution is that it's helped to get me smashed faster than I would have been otherwise.

The following sticky sums up my feelings toward the story and author.

:forkyou

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  9. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So I tried to brave my way through the story one more time. I made all the way to the middle of the second chapter before giving up. More specifically, I couldn't read past that:
    Edit: Scratch that. I managed to keep reading a bit. Seems like a slightly below average fic that is not even specifically H/F.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  10. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

Hmm, is there a good H/F fiction except The Lie I've Lived and The Wastelands of Time??

11. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If there was, it would be in this thread. Now go find it.

12. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

*waves Dagger and Rose around*

And then it's pretty much nothing more -_-

13. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

The French Affair.

14. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    How's that piece going?

15. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Pretty much not at all, though if I recall correctly he mentioned that it's still going to be worked on in the close future.

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

So you had a good NYE then?

17. Tenages

Wasn't bad for the most overcrowded, overrated night of the year. From what I remember. ;)

18. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Just noticed something from "Dormant Blood". The author actually uses a portrait as the entrance to the Ravenclaw common room. Just ... :facepalm

Edit:And super secret Veela cults had always been insta-fail for me, unless the fic was really, really good, which this one was not.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  19. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

There are good Veela cult stories? :|

20. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I remember one that was very good. I think the author is here on DLP. The only thing I didn't like of the story was the Veela cult and Veela!Masterminds thrown around, but it was a great fic all around.
    The title eludes me, but Harry is a male Veela there(awakened during the third task where he fucked Voldemort pretty bad, burning his hands in the process) and accidentally kills Petunia before fleeing, being captured by Voldemort and saved by Dumbles. I am pretty sure it was Harry?Fleur too.
    Rings any bells?

Edit:Was it "Harry Potter and the Halcyon Phantasmagoria" or something similar? That last word was kinda stupid to spell.
    It is possible that in my fucked up mind I merged two fics. Unlikely, but possible. My memory isn't the best.